Tusk

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Tusk started life as a confiscated egg. My girlfriend at the time handfed the eggs that hatched. One day, out of the blue, she called me up and said "Dude, you're getting a gray! This one is special... "

So was she.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Wow, she is in perfect feather. Kind of not common for grays. How old is she?

OP
Birdman666

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)

Primarily because most folks don't raise them right...

Rachel and I raised this one from an egg. He's more likely to pluck you than himself. And he's fully cognitive.

OP
Birdman666

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Did you happen to notice that my CAG is almost the same size as my RED FRONTED MACAW?! He is HUGE!!! They are both about 565 grams...

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Did you happen to notice that my CAG is almost the same size as my RED FRONTED MACAW?! He is HUGE!!! They are both about 565 grams...

YES! He is a huge Grey. The place where I buy my bird supplies has a pet Grey who is extra huge like that too. I commented once, but I forgot what she said about it as to why... is it a different subspecies or something?

OP
Birdman666

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Silver Gray... the smaller coastal greys were primarily what was imported into this country.

The larger and hardier birds moved inland. The interior greys are the big 'uns.

Tusk is big even for one of the big uns.

witchbaby

Feb 4, 2014
Virginia
Parrots
cinnamon turquoise gcc - luna,
pineapple gcc - drago,
galah/rose breasted cockatoo - merlin,
timneh african grey - jasper,
pied cockatiel - picasso,
blue & gold macaw - mia

Primarily because most folks don't raise them right...

Rachel and I raised this one from an egg. He's more likely to pluck you than himself. And he's fully cognitive.

He is gorgeous. :)

In your opinion, what are the most critical factors when raising a well-adjusted grey? Something tells me it comes down to early, constant exposure to new items/people/places, along with allowing the baby to remain flighted. You've obviously done something right, so I'm curious to hear your experience.

OP
Birdman666

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
That would be an entire chapter of a book...

First of all, mine was raised with Amazons and macaws.

Secondly, this bird has always had a flock, and was not left isolated and alone.

Third, this bird has not been "babied" i.e. every time he is even slightly afraid of something he gets removed from it. THESE GUYS COME FROM AFRICA WHERE EVERYTHING TRIES TO EAT THEM ALL THE TIME - YET THE WILD BIRDS DON'T PLUCK! Why if their lives are that scarey?!

Thirdly, he has toys and forraging toys...

He gets to go outside and play in a tree, and to some extent knows he is a bird.

His cage door is open.

There are other reasons, but those are the main ones.

Last edited:

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I wish I could find the original article that I read some time ago. It was on the concept of using "Nanny birds" as a link between human hand feeding, and going to the new home. They say that in the wild, Greys (and Cockatoos) spend many months past weaning with adult flock members who show them 'how' to be a bird, and that birds raised in this closer to nature way, end up having the best chance of being well adjusted, non-plucking, phobia free birds.
It said that if Greys were really such shy birds, you'd think that the ones who underwent the trauma of being wild caught would surely make them prone to plucking. They found wild caughts were less likely, and that this must have some basis in how they were raised, by who, and for how long.

OP
Birdman666

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
People isolate these birds thinking it makes them feel safe. It doesn't. It stresses them. They are flock birds, not pair bond birds. A flock bird without his flock is a sitting duck, and he is intelligent enough to realize that...

They left me all alone! Pluck, pluck, pluck.... I'm gonna die. pluck, pluck, pluck...

Everything is 100% the same all the time, cuz they study everything, and the slightest change in anything stresses them out.... What was that?! pluck, pluck, pluck...

The only time it gets quiet in the jungle is when there are predators around... so put them in a quiet little room, isolated, where nothing ever changes or ever will... [thinking it de-stresses them.]

Expose them to change from a young age. Teach them about the world. Keep them in a flock setting, even if it's a human flock.

Fledging and abundance weaning are also critical factors.

Tusk is every bit as confident as any macaw....

witchbaby

Feb 4, 2014
Virginia
Parrots
cinnamon turquoise gcc - luna,
pineapple gcc - drago,
galah/rose breasted cockatoo - merlin,
timneh african grey - jasper,
pied cockatiel - picasso,
blue & gold macaw - mia
I wish I could find the original article that I read some time ago. It was on the concept of using "Nanny birds" as a link between human hand feeding, and going to the new home. They say that in the wild, Greys (and Cockatoos) spend many months past weaning with adult flock members who show them 'how' to be a bird, and that birds raised in this closer to nature way, end up having the best chance of being well adjusted, non-plucking, phobia free birds.
It said that if Greys were really such shy birds, you'd think that the ones who underwent the trauma of being wild caught would surely make them prone to plucking. They found wild caughts were less likely, and that this must have some basis in how they were raised, by who, and for how long.

Ah, I had that article bookmarked and now I can't find it! Greys and Rose Breasted Cockatoos in particular have the "nanny bird" situation in common. I think some grey breeders are even using this technique-- keeping the babies for longer than usual and letting an older role model teach them how to be a bird.

OP
Birdman666

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)

That was written by Sam, I think. I've read that one. She's good, by the way. I really like her approach to things.

OP
Birdman666

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
With a name like Tusk, I'd be keeping an eye on his beak. Truly a unique name for a unique bird.

When my daughter was 12 years old, she was in young eagles. She learned to fly a plane. I've known this guy for years, he's one of my skydiving buddies... He's a retired air force Col. and he was one of the original Tuskeegee airmen.

Ever wonder how the Tuskeegee airmen got their red tails?! From their squadron mascot.... The african bird. Smartest bird in the air!

Tusk is short for Tuskeegee... as my own sort of tribute...

By the way, My grandfather served on a flying fortress during WW2. They saved his life more than once, I am sure.

Most Reactions