Umbrella toy

psitticine

Dec 23, 2022
Parrots
Chichi (2021 - 2022)
Rainy (current)
Kind of a long shot, but I saw a reel on Instagram with this adorable umbrella foraging/puzzle toy and fell in love with it. The creator didnā€™t link it in the comments, and itā€™s driving me nuts! They have direct messages turned off too. Anyway, I have to get this toy for my bird!!! Maybe they got the umbrellas off of Amazon or something and repurposed the block heā€™s putting them in?

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Kind of a long shot, but I saw a reel on Instagram with this adorable umbrella foraging/puzzle toy and fell in love with it. The creator didnā€™t link it in the comments, and itā€™s driving me nuts! They have direct messages turned off too. Anyway, I have to get this toy for my bird!!! Maybe they got the umbrellas off of Amazon or something and repurposed the block heā€™s putting them in?

It blows my mind to see birds doing these tricks! I can't imagine any of my birds doing this. I hate to say it but I dont think my birds are that smart.

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
I see little ā€œtoysā€ like this a lot too. I think in a lot of cases they are not bird toys but little doll toys or miniature collectibles. I havenā€™t seen this one :(

OP
psitticine

psitticine

Dec 23, 2022
Parrots
Chichi (2021 - 2022)
Rainy (current)
It blows my mind to see birds doing these tricks! I can't imagine any of my birds doing this. I hate to say it but I dont think my birds are that smart.
I think it depends on the species. What kind of birbs do you have?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I agree, they are more likely miniature house bits, which is a thing in Japan. Many want to target a search for that type products. This is also an active hobby in North America.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I think it depends on the species. What kind of birbs do you have?
Umm. Budgies right now. I had a cockatiel years ago. He was charming and a great whistler and said Charlie Boy. Never tried to train him. I had a Goffin's cockatoo years ago and from what I've read they are quite brilliant. Up there with smartest nonhuman animals. But budgies- I don't think so. I love them but I don't think they're capable. Even my hand raised girl Rocky just does what she wants. But I've watched the british budgie circus act (have you watched it on utube?) and that trainer did amazing things with budgies.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
I use a couple of doll house items in Salty's bag of tricks. But I am really fussy on how they are built, painted and/or finished. I certainly dont want him chewing up a doll house item that has cheapo paint that comes off when he uses them.

I find some good props for tricks in infant/baby toys and I am less worried about toxic materials on those.

OP
psitticine

psitticine

Dec 23, 2022
Parrots
Chichi (2021 - 2022)
Rainy (current)
Umm. Budgies right now. I had a cockatiel years ago. He was charming and a great whistler and said Charlie Boy. Never tried to train him. I had a Goffin's cockatoo years ago and from what I've read they are quite brilliant. Up there with smartest nonhuman animals. But budgies- I don't think so. I love them but I don't think they're capable. Even my hand raised girl Rocky just does what she wants. But I've watched the british budgie circus act (have you watched it on utube?) and that trainer did amazing things with budgies.
I did see that! Very fun to watch and itā€™s a great example of what dedicated training can do. Intelligence does vary between species, but I read a while back that it was actually a budgie that broke the world record for the number of words memorized by any bird, across species. His name was Puck.
The case may be more that certain birds just need less enrichment than others, or different kinds of enrichment. I have seen a lot of videos of budgies riding skateboards. :)

OP
psitticine

psitticine

Dec 23, 2022
Parrots
Chichi (2021 - 2022)
Rainy (current)
I use a couple of doll house items in Salty's bag of tricks. But I am really fussy on how they are built, painted and/or finished. I certainly dont want him chewing up a doll house item that has cheapo paint that comes off when he uses them.

I find some good props for tricks in infant/baby toys and I am less worried about toxic materials on those.
Iā€™m the same way with finishes and whatnot. I usually stick to plastic as itā€™s usually not painted. The enamel tends to be pretty solid or itā€™s just colored all the way through so Iā€™m not nervous about it. I have some big, loose plastic beads from my local bird shop that Rainy loves to take out of a jar and play with, or drop them into it. I want to expand on that concept with toys like this one. Dollhouse items sound worth looking into!

OP
psitticine

psitticine

Dec 23, 2022
Parrots
Chichi (2021 - 2022)
Rainy (current)
I see little ā€œtoysā€ like this a lot too. I think in a lot of cases they are not bird toys but little doll toys or miniature collectibles. I havenā€™t seen this one :(
So sad!!!

Most Reactions

Latest posts