pterry97

Aug 26, 2020
UK
Hi all,

Iā€™ve had Bobby the Congo African grey for about 10 days now so thought Iā€™d update on how heā€™s doing.

All in all, heā€™s actually been doing wonders. He seems happy to see and interact with me, and every morning he joins me for some breakfast fruit. Heā€™s very gentle about accepting treats from my fingers and ive only had one warning bite from him in the earlier days because he was a bit too heightened when I tried offering a treat. Heā€™s really mellowed since then.

He is deathly afraid of everything outside of his cage though. Heā€™s scared of the floor and often sits stranded on the top of his cage. He chews his feet a lot so I tried installing perches on top of the cage and along the floor so that he could climb to the bed without touching the floor, but heā€™s scared of those too and refuses to go near them.

Heā€™s figured out that he can fly from his cage onto my bed but only from a downwards descent. He doesnā€™t have the strength to take off upwards - I imagine he has a lot of muscle atrophy from being stuck in a cage for the last 11 years. So whenever heā€™s on my bed he becomes stranded and has to wait for me to collect him. He has only ever flown out of fear - once being I was trying to lower him to his cage and I got too close to the perches on top of his cage and he flew straight out of the room into the hallway. Once he realised he had no idea where he was he accepted a step up without complaint to go back to his safe zone. But no attempt of a tiny flight for a step up gap has been successful. I would like to eventually introduce him to flying by his own volition but he has no faith in himself to make the plunge.

He recently learned that I am climbable and has gone from originally biting at my sleeve whenever offered to eagerly stepping up onto my arm whenever able. Unfortunately he is a shoulder rusher and will immediately scale onto my shoulder to attempt to serenade my ears.

Hereā€™s him having a tantrum because I wonā€™t take a step forward so he can reach me to climb up onto:

Heā€™s still hormonal. Which isnā€™t fun. Which is also extra irritating because he converted relatively easily to his pellet diet, has a UVB light for a solid 12 hour day cycle, has no hides or dark spots, and Iā€™ve yet to pet him once anywhere, but he spends a lot of time whimpering on my shoulder regurgitating for me. Itā€™s not pretty and heā€™s a nightmare to get off of my shoulder once on there.

Hereā€™s the gasping whiny behaviour he keeps doing:

Heā€™s not hand friendly despite taking well to the sleeve. He still attempts to bite fingers at any given opportunity. Heā€™s very nice about it - theyā€™re not lunging bites, but heā€™s persistent at trying to pick my fingertips and I donā€™t want to risk seeing how far heā€™d take it. He chewed the skin of my thigh the other day which hurt a lot that he did just to clean his beak - no Iā€™ll intention, so I donā€™t want to humour that sort of testing.

Other than that heā€™s doing pretty well. I still find it miraculous after all those years he never resorted to plucking - he spends most of his time chewing cardboard and paper when heā€™s not out with me, he definitely seems happy compared to the day I collected him.

Hereā€™s some pics of him:

5AA14A8C-FFEA-4889-8E9E-D48BC853B8BA.jpeg

93222971-921D-4E8F-8D6B-EC5574DA02F1.jpeg

43A64D10-C54E-447C-ABDE-F0C6D90D0F95.jpeg

C259185C-8335-4241-BF0D-FABFC272F85F.jpeg

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Feb 20, 2022
What a great update! This is such nice progress.

I love the last photo so much - his head looks fuzzy from that angle :)

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Hi, Iā€™m wondering if Bobby is getting too much uv light. I thought that birds of Bobbyā€™s size are supposed to get 2-3 hours a day of extra light in order to not damage their eyes and to not put them into breeding condition.

I donā€™t recall the exact hours of uv light recommended for African greys but itā€™s not all day.

Maybe you could cut that light down and he will be less romantic with you.

P.s. Bobby looks great!

OP
P

pterry97

Aug 26, 2020
UK
Hi, Iā€™m wondering if Bobby is getting too much uv light. I thought that birds of Bobbyā€™s size are supposed to get 2-3 hours a day of extra light in order to not damage their eyes and to not put them into breeding condition.

I donā€™t recall the exact hours of uv light recommended for African greys but itā€™s not all day.

Maybe you could cut that light down and he will be less romantic with you.

P.s. Bobby looks great!
I only installed the light 2 days ago after realising the sun sets after 7 hours. He's not had UV light ever in his 12 years, I imagine he's likely deficient in a few areas. Also, he's out of the cage for most of the day anyways, the cage is open aside from when I have to go out to walk the dogs, so he's hardly ever in a position where he's stuck under it.

Birb321

Sep 14, 2022
BC, Canada
Parrots
I might rescue a conure or another small parrot
I love your Congo grey they are is soo cute. Iā€™m glad he is doing well

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Hi all,

Iā€™ve had Bobby the Congo African grey for about 10 days now so thought Iā€™d update on how heā€™s doing.

All in all, heā€™s actually been doing wonders. He seems happy to see and interact with me, and every morning he joins me for some breakfast fruit. Heā€™s very gentle about accepting treats from my fingers and ive only had one warning bite from him in the earlier days because he was a bit too heightened when I tried offering a treat. Heā€™s really mellowed since then.

He is deathly afraid of everything outside of his cage though. Heā€™s scared of the floor and often sits stranded on the top of his cage. He chews his feet a lot so I tried installing perches on top of the cage and along the floor so that he could climb to the bed without touching the floor, but heā€™s scared of those too and refuses to go near them.

Heā€™s figured out that he can fly from his cage onto my bed but only from a downwards descent. He doesnā€™t have the strength to take off upwards - I imagine he has a lot of muscle atrophy from being stuck in a cage for the last 11 years. So whenever heā€™s on my bed he becomes stranded and has to wait for me to collect him. He has only ever flown out of fear - once being I was trying to lower him to his cage and I got too close to the perches on top of his cage and he flew straight out of the room into the hallway. Once he realised he had no idea where he was he accepted a step up without complaint to go back to his safe zone. But no attempt of a tiny flight for a step up gap has been successful. I would like to eventually introduce him to flying by his own volition but he has no faith in himself to make the plunge.

He recently learned that I am climbable and has gone from originally biting at my sleeve whenever offered to eagerly stepping up onto my arm whenever able. Unfortunately he is a shoulder rusher and will immediately scale onto my shoulder to attempt to serenade my ears.

Hereā€™s him having a tantrum because I wonā€™t take a step forward so he can reach me to climb up onto:

Heā€™s still hormonal. Which isnā€™t fun. Which is also extra irritating because he converted relatively easily to his pellet diet, has a UVB light for a solid 12 hour day cycle, has no hides or dark spots, and Iā€™ve yet to pet him once anywhere, but he spends a lot of time whimpering on my shoulder regurgitating for me. Itā€™s not pretty and heā€™s a nightmare to get off of my shoulder once on there.

Hereā€™s the gasping whiny behaviour he keeps doing:

Heā€™s not hand friendly despite taking well to the sleeve. He still attempts to bite fingers at any given opportunity. Heā€™s very nice about it - theyā€™re not lunging bites, but heā€™s persistent at trying to pick my fingertips and I donā€™t want to risk seeing how far heā€™d take it. He chewed the skin of my thigh the other day which hurt a lot that he did just to clean his beak - no Iā€™ll intention, so I donā€™t want to humour that sort of testing.

Other than that heā€™s doing pretty well. I still find it miraculous after all those years he never resorted to plucking - he spends most of his time chewing cardboard and paper when heā€™s not out with me, he definitely seems happy compared to the day I collected him.

Hereā€™s some pics of him:

View attachment 45216
View attachment 45217
View attachment 45218
View attachment 45219
I love that last photo! Bobby seems like a really nice bird. I am glad things are going well.

How is he doing now?

P.s. do you know for sure that he is a boy? That whining video seemed rather babyish or hen-like.

OP
P

pterry97

Aug 26, 2020
UK
I love that last photo! Bobby seems like a really nice bird. I am glad things are going well.

How is he doing now?

P.s. do you know for sure that he is a boy? That whining video seemed rather babyish or hen-like.
Absolutely. Not since I've taken him in here, but back when I stayed in the same house with him 6 years ago for a 3 month period, he tried a few occasions on humping my wrist. Juices and all... At the moment though he is just trying to force feed me every second he gets whilst I play a skilful game of dodge the bird lips.

Most Reactions

Latest posts