Update on Loco

kimn818

Apr 23, 2014
North Hollywood, CA
Parrots
Loco- Male YellowSided GCC
Peepsie- Female Parakeet
Tweety- Male Parakeet
First I want to thank everyone who posts and offers their knowledge on the forums! You all have definitely made bringing Loco home a lot less nerve wrecking for me.

Loco is settling in nicely. He still bites but its becoming less and less, and last night, the worst bite (still no blood) was my own fault for taking him out of cage when he was already sleepy. (Won't do that again! lol).

He steps up now willingly whenever I open the cage door, without me even saying "up, or step up".. to keep it consistent, i say "step up". Getting him off of my hand seems to be the hardest part. Naturally he doesn't want to go back in the cage, but even if i have him step up for kisses and then try and place him on top of his cage or his playpen, its a struggle. Any tips?? He's sunflower seed motivated! He will do and go anywhere (follow) it goes..lol I have video of this! He will also take any kind of food from me. Yesterday I tried giving him peas and carrots.. that was a fail. He does love sweet potatoes! I dont give him seed in his cage, i found that if its mixed with the pellets (like the breeder did), he picks around and only eats the seed. This morning he stepped onto my hand to say good morning, i had a handful of seeds which he devoured!

He is a crazy bird! His personality is hilarious! He even says Hi in a gravelly voice (you can hardly understand him) but whenever we say Hi, he mimics us and it sounds like Hi.. he just started yesterday, so Im sure with more interaction he will be more clear. He also refuses to sleep in his hut,, instead he hangs on the cage, BEHIND the hut and makes sure the hut is against his wings...lol. He loves eating upside down too.. This is where his name came from, Loco!

Attachments

• 20140504_204730.jpg
    20140504_204730.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 131
  • 20140504_200427.jpg
    20140504_200427.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:
More pictures!

He was so excited to eat his sweet potatoes, he didn't wait for me to put down his bowl! :) crazy bird !

Attachments

• 20140504_195940.jpg
    20140504_195940.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 143
  • 20140503_141858.jpg
    20140503_141858.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 142
So sweet.
My birds also don't like to get back in their cage,one isn't even tame yet.
But by just putting sunflower seeds or a spoon seed mix they will all run to their cages.
It cost me 1 min to get them al in.

So sweet.
My birds also don't like to get back in their cage,one isn't even tame yet.
But by just putting sunflower seeds or a spoon seed mix they will all run to their cages.
It cost me 1 min to get them al in.

Thanks!! I will definitely do the sunflower seed trick!! He LOVES his sunflower seeds, but only gets them as treats!

Hi Kim! This is how I get my 2 monsters off my shoulders, so I can put them back in their cage: I say, "Ready for your treat???" then I get their bag of pine nuts out of the fridge. Then I put about about 5-10 pine nuts on the kitchen counter, and they QUICKLY run down my arms to get to the pine nuts. Then, when they are done with their treat, i get them to step up and I put them back in their cage.

So you have to find out what Loco loves the most, and use that for his "treat"! Only give it to him when he has done something good, like get down off your shoulders when you want him to. But make sure you say the same thing every time, in the same tone of voice...he'll know what it means!

Good luck with your little cutie!

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back