Upgraded the cage... now what?

bonitabird59

Apr 12, 2022
Hi guys! I got Jello, my GCC (3m, male) a new cage. His previous one was massive, about 4 ft by 6 ft standing, but now he's in a 6ft by 8ft cage thats pretty much floor to ceiling. He seems to really love it. Should I give him a few days to settle in? Or should I go about our days as normal? Typically he is able to come out of his cage whenever he wants, I leave the door open 24/7 except for when he goes to bed (9pm-9am) I usually do all my chores and everything with him on my shoulder, so he gets a minimum of 8-9 hours out of the cage. I know when people get new birds, it is recommended to give them a few days to get used to their cage and surroundings before taking them out and letting them have full range. Is this the same for new cages?
I feel like its also important to note that he is currently molting on his face and back. Very hormonal as of late.

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
I would go about the day as normal

OP
bonitabird59

bonitabird59

Apr 12, 2022
Photo Photo PHOTO!
Noo i just saw this!! Cage was a bust the first day using it. I miscalculated the bar spacing and he was almost able to squeeze through them- or worse: get stuck. I posted a pic of his temporary cage just now, however i am currently rebuilding! And i will def get pics for u!

Most Reactions

Latest posts