Urgent advice needed

nightinday

Aug 21, 2012
Poland
Parrots
Louis - GCC, hatched 9.05.2012
Hi guys, Louis is a 12 year old GCC and everything was alright with him until two days ago.
He started panting after a very short flight, yesterday he started wobbling.
Last night he was fighting to stay on the perch but when I took him down from it, he frantically tried to fly but his wings and feet seemed to loose any coordination.
He survived the night under a blanket but he was either pooping under himself or getting out of the blanket to poop.
This morning he is still unbalanced, he tries to grab my finger and he even sits on it buy he wobbles back and forth. His breath is a little heavier than usual. Doesn't want to eat at this point, he just accepts some water with glucose.

It is Sunday and no vets are available to take him in and I'm at loss what else can I do.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Hi guys, Louis is a 12 year old GCC and everything was alright with him until two days ago.
He started panting after a very short flight, yesterday he started wobbling.
Last night he was fighting to stay on the perch but when I took him down from it, he frantically tried to fly but his wings and feet seemed to loose any coordination.
He survived the night under a blanket but he was either pooping under himself or getting out of the blanket to poop.
This morning he is still unbalanced, he tries to grab my finger and he even sits on it buy he wobbles back and forth. His breath is a little heavier than usual. Doesn't want to eat at this point, he just accepts some water with glucose.

It is Sunday and no vets are available to take him in and I'm at loss what else can I do.
Why do our birds insist on getting sick on weekends? I'm so sorry your baby Louis is sick! Obviously he must see an avian vet ASAP but in the meantime keep him warm and safe in a cardboard box lined with towels and covered with a blanket. Keep trying to get him to accept food, maybe something soft and warm like mashed sweet potato. Warm hand feeding formula would be good too. Keep giving him the water with glucose.
Good luck at the vet and keep us posted.

OP
nightinday

nightinday

Aug 21, 2012
Poland
Parrots
Thank you.
He is refusing any food for now, he puts his beak in it but then refuses and doesn't take anything. The only thing he seems taking in is water with glucose.
He keeps trying to fly, even managed to run away a couple of times but as soon as he gets where he wanted he looses his balance and breathes frantically.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Thank you.
He is refusing any food for now, he puts his beak in it but then refuses and doesn't take anything. The only thing he seems taking in is water with glucose.
He keeps trying to fly, even managed to run away a couple of times but as soon as he gets where he wanted he looses his balance and breathes frantically.
Try to keep him as warm and calm as possible. The more he struggles the more stored energy he uses and since he's not eating you must minimize this. Darken the container he's in by keeping a blanket over it. This will help keep him calm.

PrimorandMoxi

May 29, 2015
New Jersey
Parrots
Max (23yo) Blue and Gold Macaw,
&
PRIMOR (8yo) Red Lored Amazon,
&
ABBA (33yo) Red Lored Amazon - RIP
Also make sure wherever he is perched is low in case he falls? and also give him a soft landing if possible?
Praying for you.

OP
nightinday

nightinday

Aug 21, 2012
Poland
Parrots
Thank you so much, still does not feel real.
Vet said that they believe it was cancer which has spread. No one ever tried to diagnose him, as he was a very healthy bird his whole life, even the vet said he looks like he was in very good condition. But apparently around his age, it is quite common to be affected by cancer. It all went down quick and sudden.

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
I’m very sorry for your loss. I hope you are okay. I’ll keep you in my thoughts. I am glad you were able to find an emergency vet, and you tried to help your conure in every way you could. He passed away loved, and cared for.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I’m very sorry for your loss. I hope you are okay. I’ll keep you in my thoughts. I am glad you were able to find an emergency vet, and you tried to help your conure in every way you could. He passed away loved, and cared for.
It does help to know you got your sick bird to a vet even if your baby couldn't be saved. It's happened to many of us. Tumors are very common and a lot of our birds succumb to them. Doesn't make it that much easier but at least know that you we know how you feel. You must have lots of great memories of Louis. We would love to celebrate his life by reading some of them here on PF.

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
I am so sorry for your loss :(

Most Reactions

Latest posts