VERY QUICK IMPORTANT QUESTION ABOUT POPCORN

SafamirzašŸ¤

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
hello! I have a 7 month old male cockatiel named Kiko.

I have a very short question about birds and popcorn. So the other day my brother was eating popcorn and Kiko snatched it from him to try it and now he is going insane over popcorn. Heā€™s so nuts over popcorn now that heā€™s biting our mouth and trying to get it out of our mouth if we donā€™t give it to him! Below I attached a pic of the exact popcorn he ate. Is the ingredients safe for birds? (Just as a treat sometimes.)

Is it better if I buy plain kernels with no salt and butter and just make popcorn for him with that?

Thanks to anyone who replies!! šŸ’•

Attachments

• A468B21C-9B35-4203-87CB-E8E1BD9AAD1A.jpeg
    A468B21C-9B35-4203-87CB-E8E1BD9AAD1A.jpeg
    378.7 KB · Views: 67
  • 9774DCE4-BFE8-4E90-B068-B9FF7FA4B91D.jpeg
    9774DCE4-BFE8-4E90-B068-B9FF7FA4B91D.jpeg
    188.9 KB · Views: 66
OP
SafamirzašŸ¤

SafamirzašŸ¤

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel

I have a very short question about birds and popcorn. So the other day my brother was eating popcorn and Kiko snatched it from him to try it and now he is going insane over popcorn. Heā€™s so nuts over popcorn now that heā€™s biting our mouth and trying to get it out of our mouth if we donā€™t give it to him! Below I attached a pic of the exact popcorn he ate. Is the ingredients safe for birds? (Just as a treat sometimes.)

Is it better if I buy plain kernels with no salt and butter and just make popcorn for him with that?

Heā€™s also for some reason not interested if I break off a little bit of popcorn for him, he just nibbles on that. He goes crazy over a whole piece of popcorn

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Given rarely (once a month or so), a kernel or two this popcorn wonā€™t hurt. Junk food, but not toxic.

Plain popcorn is actually quite good for them and could be a great addition to diet. I used it for a training treat for a while when I was speech training my eclectus.

OP
SafamirzašŸ¤

SafamirzašŸ¤

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
Given rarely (once a month or so), a kernel or two this popcorn wonā€™t hurt. Junk food, but not toxic.

Plain popcorn is actually quite good for them and could be a great addition to diet. I used it for a training treat for a while when I was speech training my eclectus.
Could you please recommend some other types of ā€œsnacksā€ for birds that are safe? I heard birds like crackers a lot but I donā€™t know what kind is meant for birds.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
My birds go nuts over plain popcorn popped in a hot air popper. Sometimes after it pops I add chili flakes or cayenne pepper and they love that too.

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Being a cockatiel owner you arenā€™t so restricted like Ekkie owners such as myself and Terry are. Any number of treats out there would be great, like nutriberries, avicakes, milletā€¦.the list goes on. You can waltz into just about any pet store and find great treats!

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
My birds go nuts over plain popcorn popped in a hot air popper. Sometimes after it pops I add chili flakes or cayenne pepper and they love that too.

I wanted to add that my popcorn maker is made of some kind of plastic, but I'm not sure if it is safe around my birds. I use it on my enclosed back porch.

Vampiric_Conure

May 16, 2022
Media
Albums
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Parrots
Charlie (M) - 23 yrs - Peach Front Conure
Redshift (M)-22yrs - normal Cockatiel
Moon (M) - 2 ys - wf pied cockatiel
Chara (F)- 1 yr - wf pied cockatiel
Many people in my parrot club make homemade popcorn, sans butter and salt, for their birds. Cockatiels love it stringed together on a shoelace, so they have to climb to eat it :)

If you get cheerios, that's a good treat. Just regular cheerios. I string it up on a shoelace, also, and they go bonkers for it!

OP
SafamirzašŸ¤

SafamirzašŸ¤

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
I wanted to add that my popcorn maker is made of some kind of plastic, but I'm not sure if it is safe around my birds. I use it on my enclosed back porch.
I donā€™t have a popcorn maker, but I have made popcorn before on a stove with a pot

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Our Amazon loves fresh popped corn from the stove top and will be ready the moment its ready. The problem with Microwave Popcorn is that it commonly has salt and a chemical that some call butter. Those additions is where the problem resides. Plain popcorn is always the best choice.

Last edited:
OP
SafamirzašŸ¤

SafamirzašŸ¤

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
Our Amazon loves fresh popped corn from the stove top and will be ready the moment its ready. The problem with Microwave Popcorn is that it commonly has salt and a chemical that some call butter. Those additions is where the problem resides. Plain popcorn is always the best choice.
I tried to make it today on the stove and the popcorn is burning, but some of it is popping fine. Do you think itā€™s bc itā€™s just plain popcorn without butter and oil? Is it OK to use unsalted butter or is there a type of oil that is safe for birds? Thanks if u reply šŸ’•

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I use a speciality Corn Popping Oil and keep the amount on the limited size.
Far too many people believe that Popping Corn is simple and as a result burning is far more common than it should be. Like all cooking, it requires that you are there and as soon as the popping slows down its time to pull the pan and dump it into a bowl.
Consider air-popper like from the 80's of 90's it will help.

Butter or Butter flavored oil is not recommended for Parrots.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I bought an air popper so I could make lighter popcorn for me AND my birds. But I think a little oil used to heat the kernels isnā€™t the end of the world.

Also you can put a couple tablespoons of popcorn šŸæ in a brown paper bag with one staple and pop it in a microwave. You can find directions to do that online.

Maybe Kiko wants HIS OWN PIECE. My Lucy always wanted her OWN CHEERIO, and not an ā€œoā€ that someone broke off.

Popcorn questions are ALWAYS exciting and important! What could be more important than popcorn?

OP
SafamirzašŸ¤

SafamirzašŸ¤

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
I bought an air popper so I could make lighter popcorn for me AND my birds. But I think a little oil used to heat the kernels isnā€™t the end of the world.

Also you can put a couple tablespoons of popcorn šŸæ in a brown paper bag with one staple and pop it in a microwave. You can find directions to do that online.

Maybe Kiko wants HIS OWN PIECE. My Lucy always wanted her OWN CHEERIO, and not an ā€œoā€ that someone broke off.

Popcorn questions are ALWAYS exciting and important! What could be more important than popcorn?
Yesterday I tried putting the kernels in a paper bag and they came out perfect in the microwave without oil! and yes, he wants his own piece of popcorn. He never eats the tiny pieces I give him.

Tenleigh

Jun 20, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel

My cockatiel loves popcorn too! I only give them popcorn rarely. Itā€™s super important not to have any salt or butter on the popcorn you give your bird!! :)

OP
SafamirzašŸ¤

SafamirzašŸ¤

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
I need to start treating my guys with popcorn. I notice that the waiting period while the corn heats up and pops is very exciting and important to proper bird enjoyment of popcorn!
I don't mind eating plain popcorn, so sometimes I make some and watch a movie with Kiko :)

Also, this is very off-topic to this post but I didn't wanna make a whole new post; what does it mean when a bird is squinting its eyes? šŸ¤”

Most Reactions