vet check + the missing link?

OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
since its a powder I assume you sprinkle it on food.

And Lincoln has a bacterial infections. And here's where I wish I had done syringe training already x.x

OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
they're sending me home with meds for the bacterial infection and anti-inflammatory bc he's going through a really hard molt especially under his wings.

Other tests won't be in until later this week.

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
I wouldn’t, it’s a supplement. If you feed flax and chia seeds they get plenty of balanced omega fatty acids.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I'm commonly playing with minor changes to our DYH Amazon's diet as defined by a review of his 'complete' blood screen review. We have never used a multi-supplement packet, more a single supplement or more commonly a shift in volume of specific items. However, Amazon's diets are far more varied and not anywhere as specific.

As a recommendation, do a PM call-out targeting your Species Headliners (Eclectus), like Chris as an example (since he is already here).

Last edited:
OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
not entirely sure what you mean by "pm call out" but I gonna be safe and not give it to him and work flax and chia seeds into his diet.

OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
He took his meds so easily. I really wonder about this boys past, I really think there was someone in his early stages of life that really really cared for him.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
I think that's a good call. I'm not going to say eclectus parrots never need supplements, as there are situations where there is a particular deficiency that demands it. But in the absence of any such deficiency, I don't understand why supplements would be suggested for an ekkie. Especially, as touched upon by Steven, a multi-supplement, which is far wider and less surgical in scope.

Is there and particular deficiency that is concerning the vet?

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
I'm so glad you're getting good, conservative, expert advice here!
You're trying so hard, and I admire that.

OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
I think that's a good call. I'm not going to say eclectus parrots never need supplements, as there are situations where there is a particular deficiency that demands it. But in the absence of any such deficiency, I don't understand why supplements would be suggested for an ekkie. Especially, as touched upon by Steven, a multi-supplement, which is far wider and less surgical in scope.

Is there and particular deficiency that is concerning the vet?

We are still waiting to hear back for blood and gram stain and all of that the suggestion was more of a passing comment based on his current feather condition.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
I actually did get some Missing Link. Can't say there was a change one way or the other, but it's been several years now since I've used it.

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
First of all I'll admit that I've not ever owned or had any experience with an Eclectus, and I know little about their required diets/nutrition other than the very basics of the do's and don't's...that being said, after reading the ingredients of this "multi-supplement" and the claims that they make about it's effects, I'm not seeing the point at all, as long as your bird is getting a varied diet that consists of all of his daily nutritional needs (which is usually the case with any types of multi-supplements/vitamins/minerals/etc., unless they have some type of health/medical condition that causes or results-in a deficiency-syndrome or disease of some sort)...

Lots of B-Vitamins, along with the flax and chia, and then naturally-occurring amino-acids/digestive enzymes. So again, as long as Lincoln's regular daily diet is varied and includes all of the nutritional requirements that an Eclectus needs, then this supplement is totally unnecessary...All of the extra B-Vitamins will just be excreted by the bird because they'll be getting all of the B-Vitamins that their bodies can use from his food, and while it's true that Flax offers many health-benefits, if you think that Lincoln would benefit from them, then you'd be much better-off adding Flax Seed to his regular diet. As far as the amino acids/digestive enzymes, again, unless he is suffering from some type of GI issue or nutritional-absorption problem, then he's getting/making all of these he needs from his food as well. Now I do give my birds and my Bearded Dragon a Probiotic that also contains several naturally occurring Digestive-Enzymes, the same listed in this stuff, whenever they are put on an Antibiotic, and whenever my Dragon has an impaction-issue (common in Bearded Dragons if they eat too many live bugs with hard shells/exoskeletons), but again, that's a specific-supplement for a specific-situation...Nutrition is always absorbed better by the body when it comes from real sources of food....

OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
So we got results back in the form of a voicemail bc I missed the call, I'm not very good at absorbing auditory information so all I picked up was his phosphorus levels are low and his colestoral is high. I'm gonna have to listen to the voicemail again and probably call the vet because the voicemail cut off at the end but yeah. Thats where i am at so far. She said everything largely looked fine except for those couple of areas. So I need to cut back on almonds and see what is good for raising phosphorous levels. She said something about peas which I'm thinking if I get some dried peas they might be a good replacement for almonds as treats.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Excellent! Now at least you have areas to focus on. So many issues of plucking with ekkies turn out to be diet-related. Not saying that's definitely the case here, but it could be. Especially since his plucking has decreased so much while under your care.

Check out this site in general, as it is an amazing resource for ekkie nutrition, and this page in particular in regards to what foods are best for what deficiencies and such: nutrition

One of the standouts there is a list of foods that are good for phosphorous, including:
-legumes
-brown rice
-hard boiled eggs
-well cooked chicken

OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
I think Lincoln's feather barbering and such lately has been a combination of things. I've been super busy and highly depressed lately so I haven't spent as much time with him as I'd like (getting better with that though). As well has the bacterial infection and the deficiency. Working on all of that though x.x
I'm still so impressed on how easily and willingly he takes his meds. I'll have to take a video of it tomorrow.

Most Reactions

Latest posts