Taken parakeet to the vet multiple times and they haven't found a cause

Endrinaf

Sep 29, 2023
Parrots
3 Parakeets
Hi, I have a green parakeet named Kiwi. Shes about 2 and a half years old. One of my other parakeets Azura passed away at about 2 and a half years old as well, about 3 weeks ago. Unfortunately, Kiwi seems to be exhibiting the same strange symptoms, with a slight difference. Azura's symptoms consisted of her not really eating, her weight rapidly declining, and being fluffed up a lot. Kiwi is eating and her weight has only gone down about a gram, but she's super fluffed up 90% of the time, she's eating and drinking food quite a lot, and she will talk at times. When she does talk, she has this weird high pitched voice, which is out of the ordinary and does sneeze. She is on anti-inflammatory meds as prescribed. They did a CBC, WBC, crop gram stain, fecal, pretty much everything. The specialized avian vets from an exotic animal hospital haven't been able to find anything! I'm afraid and have so much anxiety that she's just going to drop dead like Azura. Is there any other tests you guys recommend I try to get done for her? I'm puzzled and I'm nervous. Should I ask them to give me antibiotics? I'm not too sure.

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Hi, I have a green parakeet named Kiwi. Shes about 2 and a half years old. One of my other parakeets Azura passed away at about 2 and a half years old as well, about 3 weeks ago. Unfortunately, Kiwi seems to be exhibiting the same strange symptoms, with a slight difference. Azura's symptoms consisted of her not really eating, her weight rapidly declining, and being fluffed up a lot. Kiwi is eating and her weight has only gone down about a gram, but she's super fluffed up 90% of the time, she's eating and drinking food quite a lot, and she will talk at times. When she does talk, she has this weird high pitched voice, which is out of the ordinary and does sneeze. She is on anti-inflammatory meds as prescribed. They did a CBC, WBC, crop gram stain, fecal, pretty much everything. The specialized avian vets from an exotic animal hospital haven't been able to find anything! I'm afraid and have so much anxiety that she's just going to drop dead like Azura. Is there any other tests you guys recommend I try to get done for her? I'm puzzled and I'm nervous. Should I ask them to give me antibiotics? I'm not too sure.
I'm sorry to hear about your parakeets. I can tell that they are close to your heart. I wish I could be of help but it sounds like your vet has done all they can. You can suggest giving antibiotics but they would of already done that if they suspected an infection.
I recently a had a pet bird die. It was a cockatiel which is a kind of parakeet. It had gastric yeast and heavy metal poisoning.
I hope your bird pulls through

Angelica

Nov 29, 2023
I know I can't give much insight or anything I've only had my budgies for about 2 years but have you talked to them about possibly anything at your home that could be causing such symptoms

Most Reactions

Latest posts