Vet visit with Doc Kristin...

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
..we have an appointment Monday at 9 am...FINALLY allowing clients in with their pets! Only one person per in the exam room and don't need to wear a mask if you choose not to..

The reason for the visit,besides being time for a check-up is...I "think" he may of strained/sprained his left arm :eek: during his wacky moment when he was waving them madly and smacked me in the head.
Today it seems to be droopy/hanging a tad low. When I went to examine it and gently extend it,he screamed at me,not a mad/p.o. type of scream but more of a pain scream.
I made him do a couple flapflap lessons and all seemed ok. He fully extended both arms and waved them fine. We took a shower and he had no problems with that. While he dried off his arm still drooped.
Like mentioned maybe he strained/sprained it. It only happened after our adventure. Coincidence? I dunno but needs to be looked at,AND he needs his wellness check anywho.
Fingers crossed!

Jim

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
Glad to hear you get to go in with him! Keep us posted on those little chicken wings!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
AmyMyBlueFront

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon

of course I will Inger my friend! Did you make it to Va yet with little Bumsy?

Jim

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Great idea to have him checked! and also a great time for a annual check-up. We have changed to a five quarter (1 1/4) time between our Julios annual check-up as it clocks around the year.

Sadly, it appears that we have lost our Avian Medical Professional in Western Michigan. So, we are shopping Avian care. Not fun! Not sure where she has moved, but someone out there is having a wonderful Avian Professional (CAV) moving into their area

OP
AmyMyBlueFront

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon

I've been keeping a close eye on him..he had a sleeve that was cattiwumpus on his left arm..a rather big one. It was maybe five sleeves down from his should. It had some red/yellow in it. I'm thinking it was a blood sleeve but dang its gone lol and I can't find it. Not on his basement floor or around BB's condo.
I was going to yank it but I never had done such a thing..Didn't want to make him yell or possible bleed. Maybe when it was screw-gee and I gently extended his arm it pokedhim the wrong way and hurt. Today he was on his carry-me-around perch and actually stretched out both arms and he looked fine,except for ONE very small sleeve looking ****-eye'd just below the red/yellow ones on his shoulder. Right now he is yelling at BB..He made kiss-kiss noises to me earlier which is rare so I think he is ok,but still going to his Doc Monday.

Steven I'm very sad for your Julio loosing his C.A.V. :eek: If Kensington Bird and Animal Hospital moved or closed I'd be SOOL as there aren't any competent (IMHO) ones close by (KBAH) is only about a twenty minute ride from me...as the Beeb's flies :09:
Give Julio warm Amazon hugs from us...wouldja?

Jim

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Thanks Jim! I truly understand what you are saying!

Sounds like Amy has one of the large inner wing feathers getting ready to molt. If it is turned it will continue to twist each time he flaps his wings and it will simple fall out on its own. IMHO, it is unlikely that you will have bleeding, but a twisted feather is no longer aligned with the feather port (root) and it 'could' cut the inner slot cause a droplet of Blood. Best let it fallout naturally.

OP
AmyMyBlueFront

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon

Well the big one has disappeared but the smaller one is still poking out on an angle. He seems fine,has been doing the eagle thing with his arms and flap flap lessons don't bother him at all. Still going tomorrow to see Doc Kristen. He is late for his annual visit anywho,needs his nails trimmed and general look-see...weather has stunk for last week,severe rain/lightning/thunder and freakin' hot and humid. Prolly have him shower with me so he looks good and smells sweet .

Jim

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Hi Jim! YEah loosing ones great CAV would be traumatic for sure! Our local DR Hoefer is great with Salty, her "Amazon-Lite" parrot.

Salty had one screwy feather awhile ago in his tail, and she also advise to just let it come out normally in the next molt. Salty resisted all attempts to correct it and it did eventually fall out.

OP
AmyMyBlueFront

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon

Just got back..They remodled inside and looks so much better. I was a bit disappointed that Doc Kristin wasn't Amy's doc today..Another young lady,Doc Lea looks to be early thirty's and VERY pregnant ( 2.5 weeks away) and very competent. She has three CAG's,all brothers,for ten years and a yellow nape. A picture of her "family" is in her exam room. :)
He was mildly sedated because he stresses being handled and toweled. Usually Doc Kristin draws from his neck,this doc tried by his legs,and poked and tried and poked some more> I know when they draw blood from me,if the can't do it in three tries I tell them forget it! She took him into another room where the light was better came out in a few minutes and said she had to draw from his neck,well DUH thats where Doc Kristin goes and never has an issue.The poor dino acted drunk..could NOT stand for a hill of beans, He would try and just roll over on his side wiggling his little legs.He allowed me to pick him up and hold him close,kissing his face and giving skritches..he tried to chew my finger but that was useless.
She did a thorouh exam of him. No problems with his arms. Said his plumage is in spectacular shape/color. Very alert (when he came to) The cyst over one of his noses is still there but not getting larger His feetsies are fine and has great gripping power.
All in all she says he's in great shaped,dained a few g's now at 564 up 20 from last time,but said thats still a good weight.
Blood results should be in tomorrow.

Jim

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Chiming in late but glad you were able to have in-person vet visit! Promising update with Amy, hope lab result equally fine!

Most Reactions

Latest posts