Visual sexing of greys.

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Visual sexing of greys. (this link now works)

http://www.exoticpetvet.net/

You need to go to Avian (top of page) then scroll down on the left hand side to "Vet to Vet" there about 1/2 way down this list you will see "Visual sexing african greys".

For all of you either having or wishing to get a Grey might be interested in the above article. This is NOT a 100% fact, the only way to get that is DNA sexing.

Last edited by a moderator:

pheobus

Jun 14, 2007
Media
That's really interesting! :)

Good job! :35: and it seems reliable!

Things seem to be easier for visual sexing the greys than visually sexing the amazons..

OP
P

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Yeah it is pretty accurate, and they say it couldn't be done, :D

Hmmmm now theres a challenge, find a site for sexing Amazons. :eek:

darkchi

Dec 6, 2006
Albany, NY
Parrots
Cricket -C.A.G
yeah, I think I will DNA sex my grey either way... but I think she is a female.... cause of that PMS she gets

OP
P

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
:D And she's a lot lighter than my guys,

pheobus

Jun 14, 2007
Media
Look at this..

It's the same with Chi's only shows male-female opposite...:33:

Well I think Chi's looks more reliable but I have no experience on greys..:22:

OP
P

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Have to say that the eyes of the male match Bucc's eyes. What about the female eyes, Do they match Crickets eyes???????

Hard to tell with Kito's just yet, but then I think he may be a Ghana Grey more than a Congo. (means now that I'll have to have the cameroon, and Timmy)

featheredfriends

Nov 5, 2009
From my experience: Males are slightly larger and darker than the female with a bigger beak. Ususally a slightly 'flat head' on top virsus rounded top on female.
If you look at the underside of the tail feathers, females will have gray on the tips where the male will have almost if not completely red (underside) tail feathers.
100% sure is DNA test of course.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Thanks for the link... very interesting.
One question When looking at the feathers etc how old should the bird be to distinguish between the sexes?
What age are they fully grown, I read at 3 years old.
Your reply would be greatly appreciated.
Take care

Last edited:

Seroxat

Sep 3, 2010
Hi,

I have a male CAG DNA sexed, he is 8months old now.

He is larger than females of his age, darker, with flat head.

Strikingly, he has silver tips of his red tail feathers.

I think mine is one of the exceptions to this rule.

Bobby34231

Jun 25, 2010
Media
Albums
Sarasota,Florida
Parrots
Quincy - Blue Throated Macaw, Skittles and Dusty - Rose Breasted Too's,
Joey - Yellow Crown Amazon, Ashley - CAG
I don't know that you'll get much of a response, the original post of the thread is almost 5 years old.....12/16/2005

wolfsnaps

Jul 19, 2010
From what my avian certified vet told me, the MALES have the gray tipped tail feathers, while the females have SOLID RED tail feathers. When I brought Paco to the vet, he asked me what sex she was. I told him the previous owner had said female and he said he was 95% sure she was in fact a female. Only a dna test is ever 100% but I also think she is a female because she can be such a B%$^&$&^% sometimes. LOL:silly:

greycloud

Mar 21, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Parrots
Sammy-Umbrella Too-rescued,
Dexter-CAG-rehomed handicapped,
Sterling-CAG-rehomed retired breeder.
Sunshine-12 yo CAG-adopted
There is no definitive way to sex except through DNA and surgical sexing. The grey tips of the red feathers are around the cloaca, not the actual tail feathers.

theocnoob

Nov 5, 2011
455.jpg

OS1.jpg

oscarFIRSTDAY.jpg

I don't plan to DNA as I don't want to breed and will love a boy or girl equally, but out of curiosity, would anyone care to guess if Oscar is a boy or girl? He is five to six months of age.

Purplecarters

Feb 3, 2012
Yeovil, UK
Parrots
Olive - African Gray - Congo
Ohh thats interesting, had a quick visual at my grey, its feathers still need to grow through, time will tell tho... hopefully :)

UrbanLegend711

Aug 13, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
Parrots
2012 Yellow-side Green-cheeked conure

Timneh African grey
I have a Timneh grey, so I guess the tail and wing methods are not accurate? Or is it only the wing color that isn't accurate for TAGs? My vet thinks Baby is a boy because of the mass of his pelvis and his wider head.

lotosha

Jun 29, 2012
Parrots
A pair of cockatiels
And pair of African Greys
Re: Visual sexing of greys. (this link now works)

Exotic Pet Veterinarian

You need to go to Avian (top of page) then scroll down on the left hand side to "Vet to Vet" there about 1/2 way down this list you will see "Visual sexing african greys".

For all of you either having or wishing to get a Grey might be interested in the above article. This is NOT a 100% fact, the only way to get that is DNA sexing.

Today we've got the DNA results and my AG is a girl and indeed she has those grey tips.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Here's the direct link...

Visual gender determination for African Grey parrots

And another website...

Visual Sex Determination of African Grey Parrots - African Queen Aviaries

The grey tips on the red feathers is not 100% accurate, but probably pretty close. I know of someone who has an older, DNA sexed male congo with grey tips.

I would say that it's probably easiest to use this method by the time they are at least 1-2 years old when they've had a chance to go through at least one molt, if not more. If it's anything like cockatiels, the males and females will have similar colorations until the male molts into his adult colors.

This is a sexing method for Congo's only. I have not heard of a reliable, or near reliable method for Timneh's.

Most Reactions