Volcanic Ash and Fids

Ash

Nov 20, 2011
Hamilton, New Zealand
Sooo last night a volcano erupted in my country. It's a couple of towns away from where I live. I don't think the Ash has reached my town yet. But it's said that it may.

Im pretty sure filghts(air planes) have been canceled/delayed to my town because of the ash.

I would rather be prepared. :p Well I would rather be safe than sorry.
So what would you recommend?
My fids do stay inside most of the time. I will have to bring in Kikorangi(Spends most of his time in an outside cage).
I know I should keep them inside, keep the windows closed. That will be hard as we like to leave our windows open.

Some links about the eruption

Mt Tongariro Volcano Erupts in New Zealand | Civil... | Stuff.co.nz

Live Updates: Mount Tongariro eruption | Television New Zealand | News, Sport, Weather, TV ONE, TV2 | TVNZ | ONE NEWS News

DebsFlock

Banned
Banned
Jul 19, 2012
Los Angeles County, near Palmdale
Parrots
Scooter -- male Green Cheek Conure "Normal" but that's a matter of opinion! Hatched in March 2010

Scotty -- Male Cape Parrot hatched somewhere between 2007-2009 we think

Caballo Blanco -- male C
We went through the Station Fires in LA with the burn areas as close as a mile or so from our house. We had a light coating of ash all around for several days.

There is only so much you can do in a situation like that unless you can evacuate the area for a significant period of time, which wasn't practical for us. We only had Scooter at the time, and I was a bit concerned, but we kept the windows closed and the A/C on and relatively little of the particulate matter really got into the house.

I think with a volcano the volatile gases would be of significantly greater concern. Ash and dust tend to settle and are less likely to be breathed unless the smoke is really quite thick. And the volatiles should dissipate before they travel very far.

Hope all is well with you! I had to evacuate my horse from his boarding stable during the fires -- the flames ultimately came within yards-- and even while the trailers were pulling up, the flames were flckering and leaping above the nearest hillside. It's hard to imagine what being so close to something so powerful is like.

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
I read about this eruption this morning... I hope you'll all be OK... The ash is probably the biggest concern, as it'll spread over a very large area, and will settle like concrete in lungs breathing it in...

You're doing the right things... Birds inside and windows and doors closed...

OP
Ash

Ash

Nov 20, 2011
Hamilton, New Zealand
From what Ive heard. Nothing too serious has happened. But they are unsure if any serious eruptions will carry or if that was a one off event. Or some smaller eruptions will happen. They are pretty unsure about it.

I think windows closed/doors closed and leaving the birds inside is all I can really do?

It's kind of scary. I really hope it was just a one off eruption.
There was actually two volcanoes that erupted. One on White Island (just of New Zealand) and Mt Tongariro (probably spelled that wrong :p)

Most Reactions