Wanna try draw birds in different mediums, any suggestions?

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Hi guys, just got a random idea. It's popping up in my mind the whole time, and I really want to do it. I am going to do it in a realistic style.

I just want to practice a bit and get better at art, and I really want to try birds I have never drawn before.

I want to try draw birds(mostly parrots, suggestions welcome!) using different mediums(I'm not doing digital, though)

Mediums I have available ATM:
Pencil
Colour pencil
Acrylic
Watercolour
Watercolour pencil
Pastel
Pastel crayons

If you know of any other affordable mediums that I could use, please suggest some. Also, what cool birds should I try? I don't just want to do budgies and cockatiels only, lol. I am going to try draw some of the birds in this thread:
If you want me to draw one of your birds, please PM me or share a pic in the thread

Last edited:

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I think soft pastels and pastel pencils should work really well for drawing birds. Oil pastels can be pretty harsh although they are vivid enough to depict a brightly colored bird.

I got a deal on 36 artists markers and I think that would be a good way to hand-illustrate kind of like Rosalka does her parrots on computer.

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Hey there, thanks for the suggestions! I have some kokis(markers) laying around, so I'll use those. Sounds like a fun idea. They're not specifically for art, but they'll work fine.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
This is not drawing, but I bought a needlepoint book on sale because it has a raven pattern that I want to make:
80D3CE52-903E-45C0-A8FD-81CE8E804B16.jpeg

Thereโ€™s another pattern called โ€œorange borderโ€ that I could put a green Quaker parakeet with orangeish bill right in the center. Or two Quakers facing away from each other.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Orange border: plus Quaker or two in center.
image.jpg

Thereโ€™s GOT TO BE computer programs to make needlepoint designs from photos. Actually I found a low quality very pixelated photo of a Quaker that looks very much like a needlepoint graph.
ADAC7CE2-D98E-405C-9710-2707A6B71561.png

I look at this low quality photo and can almost choose five greens and four greys and a couple creams and peaches to make the graph for embroidery.

Most Reactions