Wanted advice

Budgie_Addicted

Sep 7, 2021
Media
Australia, QLD
Parrots
Astro - violet yellow face budgie (juvenile male)
Astro, my new male budgie (see profile picture) is eight weeks old and starting to bond. He was already tame but he is getting calmer. However, my sister has a budgie in the next room over which is very loud. On the first day, she tried to bring him in but I said no - as I want Astro to bond with me and focus on me for the first few weeks. Of course I'll let the two meet but I don't want Astro to loose interest in me. Sometimes he hears Pip and chirps once or twice, which I don't mind, I just don't want it to get too loud. Astro has been with me for less than 24 hours. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
2021 Parrot of the Year 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots
✻Csillam the rescued budgie
✻Pascal the Emma's (Venezuelan) Conure

Previous owned:
✻Archibald the cockatiel (fostered 6 months)
✻RIP - 28 YO Zeleni the mischievous IRN
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
Congratulations on your new baby!!! Astro is so stunningly handsome!

You did the right thing by not allowing yet for the birds to meet. Aside of the bonding matter, there is also the quarantine - it is a norm whenever you bring a new bird in the house to keep it separated from the rest of the flock/from the other bird just in case there is any illness that isn't showing any signs yet. The time for quarantine is anywhere around 30-45 days.

It is likely that the both birds shout back and forth - it is in their nature! Just make sure strictly not to let them meet, as soon as they see each other they will be persistent in trying to get to the other bird, I had a similar issue with my previous rescue budgie who sadly is no longer here. Rather let it stay like this with a few shouts back and that's it, and lets see how things unravel. It's a good thing you have in mind to first have the bird warm up to you first, and then let him meet Pip, though there is no guarantee if the focus will shift to Pip or not.

And I did have the issue with my conure Pascal where he was ultimately attached to my budgie, to the point we were ignored and feared. And this was more or less solved by separating them in different rooms, I am sure had I done this from the very beginning without having them meet at all, things would've been much smoother for sure... Lesson learned, I guess!

OP
Budgie_Addicted

Budgie_Addicted

Sep 7, 2021
Media
Australia, QLD
Parrots
Congratulations on your new baby!!! Astro is so stunningly handsome!

You did the right thing by not allowing yet for the birds to meet. Aside of the bonding matter, there is also the quarantine - it is a norm whenever you bring a new bird in the house to keep it separated from the rest of the flock/from the other bird just in case there is any illness that isn't showing any signs yet. The time for quarantine is anywhere around 30-45 days.

It is likely that the both birds shout back and forth - it is in their nature! Just make sure strictly not to let them meet, as soon as they see each other they will be persistent in trying to get to the other bird, I had a similar issue with my previous rescue budgie who sadly is no longer here. Rather let it stay like this with a few shouts back and that's it, and lets see how things unravel. It's a good thing you have in mind to first have the bird warm up to you first, and then let him meet Pip, though there is no guarantee if the focus will shift to Pip or not.

And I did have the issue with my conure Pascal where he was ultimately attached to my budgie, to the point we were ignored and feared. And this was more or less solved by separating them in different rooms, I am sure had I done this from the very beginning without having them meet at all, things would've been much smoother for sure... Lesson learned, I guess!
Thanks for your input! Unfortunately, my parents persisted they meet and yelled at me when I refused, I know very well about quarantine and bonding matters. Pip tried to feed Astro and put his claw on Astro's back. Pip thought Astro was his mate. Astro kept running away from Pip and they thought it was cute but I knew what was going on. I was crying because nobody would listen to me and everyone kept saying I was such a control freak. Yesterday I emailed my dad about it with links and articles and I think he understands now. They will not meet again for weeks but I fear Pip or Astro's germs making each other sick! They do sometimes call out to each other. I just want to have the bonding experience my sister was privileged to have without other bird interference. I think my family understands a little bit more now because they haven't met properly since. I really wish in that moment I just walked out of the room with Astro. They were grabbing the cage and everything - making me look like a fool. It was such a stressful environment.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Awww...you've articulated that very well, about your sister having the privilege to bond and to get to know her parrot without interference. You've also done very well in complex family dynamics to stand up for yourself and Astro. You are an exceptional person, full of grace, and love and protection for your little one.

How is Astro? Any new pictures?

OP
Budgie_Addicted

Budgie_Addicted

Sep 7, 2021
Media
Australia, QLD
Parrots
Awww...you've articulated that very well, about your sister having the privilege to bond and to get to know her parrot without interference. You've also done very well in complex family dynamics to stand up for yourself and Astro. You are an exceptional person, full of grace, and love and protection for your little one.
That almost made me cry....thank you my friend 🥰 🥰 🥰 🤗 🤗 🤗
Here is some cute pics of him that lighten the mood
8D2248AC-F85C-4EF0-A904-7437F3CE1764.jpeg
78BFC3B0-1829-4BFA-ABA9-7882C371119C.jpeg
thumbnail_A6C9CDA2-7FA5-4E51-B207-331162A03174.jpg

OP
Budgie_Addicted

Budgie_Addicted

Sep 7, 2021
Media
Australia, QLD
Parrots

How is Astro? Any new pictures?
He's doing well, sorry I forgot to mention! We've been doing quite a bit of step up step down training and he doesn't mind. Some evenings before I shower, he goes onto my shoulder and goes into my hair and plays around in his 'man cave'. It's pretty cute!
1638323337574.png

Sometimes he disappears behind my neck then comes back like this picture! Peekaboo!
88A907EC-0BBC-4560-A077-EAA81AE4262F.jpeg

In the next picture here, is his mid chewing my hair and collar :LOL:
I love him so much!

OP
Budgie_Addicted

Budgie_Addicted

Sep 7, 2021
Media
Australia, QLD
Parrots
very beautiful! Is he eating good? Good poops?
Since Im still in highschool, when I get home the seed is everywhere but in the container. I think he has dustbathes in there maybe? The seed is on the ground, underneath the container and a little bit is left.
Every morning I put him on his seed container and he eats for a good few minutes. He's drinking too, and sometimes off a spoon. I'm persisting with veggies even if he doesn't eat them. I give him fresh ones every morning and leave them there in his cage during the day. He started licking the spinach leaves. He had a small nibble of the snow peas once. Not much progress with that but we're getting there. I've grated him carrot and cucumber as well. Cut up some beetroot and all. He likes kale which is good!!!! I put some millet seeds on his veggies hopefully to help him eat them. :)

His poops are sometime a bit irregular but they are coming more consistent I can tell. At first they were less frequent and sometimes....large? They were watery and sometimes greeny coloured.
Now they are a bit more dense and improving :D

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Awww that is perfect!! Astro already trusts you so much @ Beautiful to see. He will learn to love .s u veggies with time. Mine have free choice of seeds all the time but the still love their veggies. Bell pepper, peas, and a little fresh corn are some of their favorites and all those leafy greens like Swiss shard, romaine

Most Reactions

Latest posts