Watery poop?

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
One liter Oral rehydration drink (like pedialyte or Gatorade)

Mix the dry ingredients. Add a half-teaspoon (2.5 ml) of table salt and 2 tablespoons (30 ml, or 6 teaspoons) of sugar into a clean container.
Add one liter of clean drinking water. If you cannot measure out a liter, add four metric cups or about 4¼ US cups of water (a metric cup is 250 ml, each US cup is about 237 ml). Only use clean water.
Stir well and drink. Use a spoon or whisk to mix the ORS powder into the water. After a minute or so of vigorous stirring, the solution should be completely dissolved. Now, it is ready to drink.

I have given birds this or sugar water in an emergency, using an eyedropper or pipette or tiny straw. I held the bird in a normal sitting position so they could swallow .

If you’re going to keep this for more than a day, bring to a boil, cook, put in your fridge.

Last edited:
OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
One liter Oral rehydration drink (like pedialyte or Gatorade)

Mix the dry ingredients. Add a half-teaspoon (2.5 ml) of table salt and 2 tablespoons (30 ml, or 6 teaspoons) of sugar into a clean container.
Add one liter of clean drinking water. If you cannot measure out a liter, add four metric cups or about 4¼ US cups of water (a metric cup is 250 ml, each US cup is about 237 ml). Only use clean water.
Stir well and drink. Use a spoon or whisk to mix the ORS powder into the water. After a minute or so of vigorous stirring, the solution should be completely dissolved. Now, it is ready to drink.

I have given birds this or sugar water in an emergency, using an eyedropper or pipette or tiny straw. I held the bird in a normal sitting position so they could swallow .

If you’re going to keep this for more than a day, bring to a boil, cook, put in your fridge.
Thank you so much for this. I will try out tomorrow.

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
They're doing OK. They're seeing a vet tomorrow

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
The vet did a blood sugar test and a test on their feces and said that there is a type of.. protozoa? Protozoid? Idk, something like that, in there digestive system, and there is only one type of good bacteria so, she prescribed some antibiotics and "crop treatment". She first wants to try natural alternatives before going on meds.

So they're ok at least, they aren't ill or have a condition(as far as we know), only abnormalities.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
The vet did a blood sugar test and a test on their feces and said that there is a type of.. protozoa? Protozoid? Idk, something like that, in there digestive system, and there is only one type of good bacteria so, she prescribed some antibiotics and "crop treatment". She first wants to try natural alternatives before going on meds.

So they're ok at least, they aren't ill or have a condition(as far as we know), only abnormalities.
Well, those Protozoa should not be in there and are making them have the stinky squirty poop.

I’m glad you’re getting this treated because diarrhea can kill animals, people, birds.

Does she know you have other birds? These things can spread through a flock.

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Well, those Protozoa should not be in there and are making them have the stinky squirty poop.

I’m glad you’re getting this treated because diarrhea can kill animals, people, birds.

Does she know you have other birds? These things can spread through a flock.
Yes. I am gonna treat them as well.

Again, thanks for your help!

Niner10Tango

Nov 10, 2012
Media
SE Michigan
Parrots
Tango a White Faced Pied Cockatiel
OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Hi, thanks for your response.

Unfortunately this product isn't available where I live, and it's too expensive to ship here. But there are other probiotics available.

I put it in the water, but I can also try adding to their food. The vet reccomended adding it to their water though.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
How are your birds?

If you have any problems I will advise as I can.

Happy holidays!!

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
How are your birds?

If you have any problems I will advise as I can.

Happy holidays!!
Hi Heather, they seem to be better than the were. The naughty rascals woke me up this morning, lol. It's 9AM now.

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Here's a pic of my girl
20221226_094301.jpg

Yes I painted my nails lol
First time in years

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
She looks well and clean! I hope she’s feeling better.

(I have not painted my nails for a few years though I used to love to do that.)
She is feeling a lot better! I sprayed her with water for minutes because she kept on begging for it, lol. Such a cutie.

Most Reactions

Latest posts