We are seriously considering a new addition to our flock

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
Albie - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure - Hatch date 14 Dec 2019 - Gotcha date - 4 March 2020
Only, we don't know which species.

I want more green cheeks, I'd love one of every colour if I could! , hubby doesn't want to risk babies (simply because I wouldn't be able to bring myself to destroy the eggs and I don't want to breed and be responsible for more babies when there's already a huge rehoming problem) .i want to get albie dna tested to find out what. Sex he is for sure, just havent gotten round to it yet.

I'm worried that if we get a bigger species, it could hurt or even kill him alternatively is we get a smaller species, albie could hurt or even kill it.

We can't have a dusty specie either cuz hubby has dust allergies and I don't want to aggravate his allergies with dusty birds.

It won't be for another year or so yet as we need to move to a bigger house but I want to start looking into species and rescues or responsible breeders before then.

Any suggestions of what species to look into?

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
It sounds like you want a different species of conure (like a Sun, Nanday, etc), or else maybe a BeeBee parakeet. The other conure species are a little bigger than green cheeks, but not necessarily by a lot. (Or else, sizewise, maybe a caique -- but i THink I might have read that they don't play so well with other species?? Not sure about that.)

OP
Stitchthestitch

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
Albie - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure - Hatch date 14 Dec 2019 - Gotcha date - 4 March 2020
Yeah, I read something similar about caiques, but then on the other hand, Iver seen some adorable videos of them clearly bonded with other speices too so I think it's an individual bird thing. Now off I go to look at other conure species.

What is the likely hood of fertilised eggs if I were to go with another conure species?

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
Yeah, I read something similar about caiques, but then on the other hand, Iver seen some adorable videos of them clearly bonded with other speices too so I think it's an individual bird thing. Now off I go to look at other conure species.

What is the likely hood of fertilised eggs if I were to go with another conure species?

So a green cheek conure is a Pyrrhura conure. (Pyrrhura molinae if i look it up.) A sun conure is an Aratinga conure. (Aratinga solstitialis.) There are a couple others - golden conures are pretty large as conures go, but they have a separate name (Guaruba guarouba), and also patagonians (aka Rickeybirds!) are called Cyanoliseus patagonus.

The reason I list all these names is that --as I understand, so, I might be wrong! -- as I understand, the species with the same type name can breed. So, Aratingas like my Sun Conure can breed with other aratingas, such as Nandays or Jendays, but not with Green Cheeks; and Pyrrhuras like your Green Cheek can breed with other pyrrhuras like Black-Capped or Maroon-Bellied, etc, but not with Sunnies.

Here is a page which lists scientific names of SOME of the various conures:https://birdeden.com/complete-list-of-conure-species-with-pictures (It says it's a complete list, but it's not, there are more conure species. But it's a good starting point.)

Last edited:
OP
Stitchthestitch

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots

So a green cheek conure is a Pyrrhura conure. (Pyrrhura molinae if i look it up.) A sun conure is an Aratinga conure. (Aratinga solstitialis.) There are a couple others - golden conures are pretty large as conures go, but they have a separate name (Guaruba guarouba), and also patagonians (aka Rickeybirds!) are called Cyanoliseus patagonus.

The reason I list all these names is that --as I understand, so, I might be wrong! -- as I understand, the species with the same type name can breed. So, Aratingas like my Sun Conure can breed with other aratingas, such as Nandays or Jendays, but not with Green Cheeks; and Pyrrhuras like your Green Cheek can breed with other pyrrhuras like Black-Capped or Maroon-Bellied, etc, but not with Sunnies.

Here is a page which lists scientific names of SOME of the various conures:https://birdeden.com/complete-list-of-conure-species-with-pictures (It says it's a complete list, but it's not, there are more conure species. But it's a good starting point.)

Thank you for this! It helps.

Most Reactions