We want to see your homemade toys!

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I was at an art store and saw this in the kids and crafts section. I think it’s supposed to be a little tote but to me it looks like a perch for tiny birds like budgies or lovebirds. It’s about 10 or 12” across.

Attachments

• EF346220-ED90-4547-9D6C-07ECF84BFC1A.jpeg
    EF346220-ED90-4547-9D6C-07ECF84BFC1A.jpeg
    186 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I am not sure. I am worried about anything from commercial poultry products being used with parrots. But it is a good sign that they appeared clean.

Maybe someone else can weigh in?

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
I am not sure. I am worried about anything from commercial poultry products being used with parrots. But it is a good sign that they appeared clean.

Maybe someone else can weigh in?
I can get rubbing alcohol and spray that on it to kill any potential parasites if needed.

OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Look at my beautiful caterpillar! :D
View attachment 41349
Egg cartons, filled with raffia, and covered with a cupcake paper :)
Pipp, that's precious! I can't believe I missed your post before.
Clean egg cartons are fine to use, I use them all the time. They don't need any disinfecting, and if there is any egg remnants in one I throw it away.

OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I have a goal to make at least 1 toy every day until all my flock has a new one. Their last round of new ones were store bought, and they need some made with love:)
I did the first 4 without taking pics, but I did get pics of the last 2. I figure this way I have to hold myself accountable to get them all made. I'm low on toy supplies so am making do with what I have.

This is for Darwin and has some wood, cupcake holders, unwaxed playing cards, 2 vine butterflies & cardboard on a vegetable tanned leather rope.

XVOEqya.png

Talli's has wood, cupcake holders, cardboard, unwaxed playing cards & a vine nest on a vegetable tanned leather rope.

tallitoy.jpg

EinsteinsDad

Jan 14, 2023
Media
Parrots
8 lovebirds: Phoenix, Woodstock, Einstein, Lucky, Red, Snow White, Mango, and Sunshine.
I started making our own toys about 8 months back. Learning a lot as I go, some great ideas are found on this website. Here is my latest creation, I add / insert treats like sunflowers seeds, etc into the vine balls (foraging). Our lovebirds seem to go for the chew toys a lot so I also put two pop sticks in each vine ball. I always thank our 'lumberjack crew' when sweeping up the wood 'debris', lol.
PXL_20230121_202201542.jpg
PXL_20230121_202236509.jpg

OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
I started making our own toys about 8 months back. Learning a lot as I go, some great ideas are found on this website. Here is my latest creation, I add / insert treats like sunflowers seeds, etc into the vine balls (foraging). Our lovebirds seem to go for the chew toys a lot so I also put two pop sticks in each vine ball. I always thank our 'lumberjack crew' when sweeping up the wood 'debris', lol.
View attachment 47046View attachment 47047
These are amazing & the blue is so vivid!
We got several toys that were on clearance for our big guys several years ago, and I had an extra I put in with my lovies, thinking they would just sit on the thick pieces of wood. They ended up destroying the wood before any of my big guys did, I was amazed!

The only thing I want to mention is to make sure that all the rope is tied tightly so they can't get their heads stuck in the loop. One of my littles did that once and I was terrified until I got them loose:(

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
This thread is so inspiring! I actually have a Cricut but I don’t use it much anymore. I wonder if I could use it to cut some fun shapes in a bird safe thin wood or other material?

OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
This thread is so inspiring! I actually have a Cricut but I don’t use it much anymore. I wonder if I could use it to cut some fun shapes in a bird safe thin wood or other material?

That's a great idea! I don't have a Cricut so I bought some heavy duty punches and I use those on plain, white heavy cardstock. Sometimes I leave them white and sometimes I splatter them with food colouring.
I can't wait to see what you can do with your Cricut!

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
That's a great idea! I don't have a Cricut so I bought some heavy duty punches and I use those on plain, white heavy cardstock. Sometimes I leave them white and sometimes I splatter them with food colouring.
I can't wait to see what you can do with your Cricut!
I've never considered cardstock! I could do that. I wonder how fast Ona would chew it up though :LOL: I know I can use some thin wood in the Cricut but I'd have to look up what kinds would be safe. Maybe it would work with thick cardboard too? Ona is a big fan of foam toys but I'm hesitant to use craft foam as I don't know which kinds are safe.

EinsteinsDad

Jan 14, 2023
Media
Parrots
8 lovebirds: Phoenix, Woodstock, Einstein, Lucky, Red, Snow White, Mango, and Sunshine.
This another of my recent shredder toy creations. In the center I used a couple of "paper chain" pieces I got at HobbyLobby in the Thanksgiving / harvest season. Our lovebirds chew them up. Cardboard circles I cut myself from heavy delivery boxes, these are 3 inch diameter. I'm very happy with the colors I dyed my wood pieces.
PXL_20230121_193142452.jpg

PXL_20230121_193355721.jpg

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
I’m not sure this would be considered a true DIY toy since I made it from a toy part I bought but….

2DDDE095-E693-4011-AAB1-CFED7ADB1AF8.jpeg9CB96AE5-467D-4F2D-A90E-B1EBA567E69E.jpeg

Bonka birds had the vine things on sale so I stuffed a sola ball, millet, and crinkle paper in it. She loves it!

ray-of-flight

Jun 14, 2023
Parrots
None yet, am studying for my first one
A note about people using food coloring dyes... I wonder if they would enjoy things dyed with food-based dyes made from beets, sweet potatos, berries, etc. I believe if you use a lot of dye for brightness it would also leave a taste. Especially if you used a more porous wood, or maybe soaked paper then left it to dry.

Most Reactions

Latest posts