Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Yeah, they love to destroy stuff if it is firmly attached. I attached some of that same cardboard onto the stand (I really have no idea where to get more, they are destroying it so fast)

Here you can see Pascal working hard minutes after I put it on. (i have no idea how to put the video directly into the post)

You may be able to add the video by uploading using this:

vidins.png

If you edit your post, the normal screen comes up above giving you options. If you click the 3 dots circled in red, the lower options open up.
The one circled in blue is for uploading videos. Some of mine were too large and wouldn't upload, but it's worth a try:)

OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Bumping with another toy:) I make this for my bigger guys. The wood is all pine that my husband cut slices in. The round purple rings are also pine and each has a vine ball stuffed with little lilac twigs.
The big balls are bamboo and stuffed with little pieces of wood.
The bamboo hides the rope which is a heavy sisal. Those are vine rings at the bottom. Everything was dyed using food grade food colouring.

dextersslicerenticer.jpg

D

Deleted member 42416

Terry, you should seriously go into the bird toy making business! They look so beautiful…almost don’t want to let them get destroyed!

Well, I thought I would contribute one idea, but not homemade toy. I repurposed this coconut as a β€œbasket” to hold beak & footy toys. Ideal for conures and larger birds (smaller birbs can get inside and nest). Hazel demonstrates:

3E7AB315-A6D5-4955-B404-986592275146.jpeg

OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
I can not live up to this pressure! Your toys are so professional and amazing
My Friend, thank you so much. You should have seen my early toys, they looked awful but my birds loved them. Really a toy is a success if your birds love them.
Spoiler alert: only 3 of my birds liked this one.lol

OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Terry, you should seriously go into the bird toy making business! They look so beautiful…almost don’t want to let them get destroyed!

Well, I thought I would contribute one idea, but not homemade toy. I repurposed this coconut as a β€œbasket” to hold beak & footy toys. Ideal for conures and larger birds (smaller birbs can get inside and nest). Hazel demonstrates:

View attachment 36891
I was selling toys for awhile, actually. Then I got trigger finger and it makes tying the knots hurt so I only make them for my guys now.

I consider yours a new toy because you repurposed it into a foraging toy. That is a fantastic idea!

OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
I have to show my first toy I made.

peeweestiltawhirl.jpg

My budgies loved it, but I left way too much rope showing so they chewed through the rope then chewed up the toy parts on the bottom of the cage. Live and learn!

OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Terry i had trigger finger and didn't want surgery. I wore a wrist with thumb thing from pharmacy for 3 months fixed it! My neurologist was shocked as my nerve study showed nerve damage
I think I have one of those that you mentioned, I'm so glad it helped you!
Mine is better now as long as I don't spend too much time every day making toys. I can keep up with my own birds but couldn't keep up with orders.

OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
The actual first time I made toys was at our local rescue. Janine and I spent all day making toys for her rescue birds and I was ashamed because hers looked so much better than mine.
You know what? The rescue birds liked them just the same:)
I think what everyone should always remember is that as long as the birds are happy with them, that is really all that matters. I learned from Janine that day, and we can all learn from each other here.

toys2.jpg

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Terry's toys (AND photos of them) are ART works, not just toys.
The Rb has availed himself of many. Some of the relatively indestructible acrylic parts are still being recycled after he dismantled the original structures!
Terry's stuff is just magic.
Oh, and, don't you love the name of her toy biz... "Neverlasting Bird Toys"?????? Any parront gets that joke, right. A good toy is a wrecked toy!

OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Terry's toys (AND photos of them) are ART works, not just toys.
The Rb has availed himself of many. Some of the relatively indestructible acrylic parts are still being recycled after he dismantled the original structures!
Terry's stuff is just magic.
Oh, and, don't you love the name of her toy biz... "Neverlasting Bird Toys"?????? Any parront gets that joke, right. A good toy is a wrecked toy!
You are far too kind, my Dear:)

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020

View attachment 36891
I really like the basket! I have some coconut shell halves and maybe I could set one up similarly. Willow has begun to be less timid about new toys and it would be nice if they were off the cage floor and not getting pooped on.

Squeekmouse

May 31, 2017
Illinois
Parrots
Yoda, Green Cheek Conure - Trigger, Congo African Grey
This first one isn't a toy, it's the amazing and awesome perch my husband made. He designed it so it would perfectly fit a standard 8.5 inch plate when the plate gets full of poop. I wound the cord around the perch to make it more comfy for the birbs and I made the little ring of popsicle sticks that's hanging on there also. The perch is heavy enough that when Trigger (our big african grey) lands or takes off from it, the perch doesn't budge at all.
20220314_135604.jpg

This shows a hanging ladder toy I made from salvaged toy parts and pony beads. The other two toys I made from salvaged parts, cupcake papers, and Sola balls.
20220314_135637.jpg

Here's a hanging bridge and hanging circle that I made from pony beads and my husband cut up a dowel and drilled holes in it, then I used food coloring to dye them for the cross beams.
20220314_135728.jpg

OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
This first one isn't a toy, it's the amazing and awesome perch my husband made. He designed it so it would perfectly fit a standard 8.5 inch plate when the plate gets full of poop. I wound the cord around the perch to make it more comfy for the birbs and I made the little ring of popsicle sticks that's hanging on there also. The perch is heavy enough that when Trigger (our big african grey) lands or takes off from it, the perch doesn't budge at all.
View attachment 36946

This shows a hanging ladder toy I made from salvaged toy parts and pony beads. The other two toys I made from salvaged parts, cupcake papers, and Sola balls.
View attachment 36947

Here's a hanging bridge and hanging circle that I made from pony beads and my husband cut up a dowel and drilled holes in it, then I used food coloring to dye them for the cross beams.
View attachment 36948
These are not only amazing, but very original! I love the ones with Sola balls so much, my guys love them.

OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots

Most Reactions