Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I should be getting my 2 conures at the end of March or early April ,so in the mean time I have made about 14 toys for them. These are just a few that I've made.
These are awesome toys! I bet your conures will go crazy for them, well done!

OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Not a want. A NEED 😍
It looks SO GOOD
Awww, thank you! This one was one of my favourites, but it took so many hours to complete. So many knots and trimming..lol

Skarila

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
2021 Parrot of the Year πŸ†
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots
✻Csillam the rescued budgie
✻Pascal the Emma's (Venezuelan) Conure

Previous owned:
✻Archibald the cockatiel (fostered 6 months)
✻RIP - 28 YO Zeleni the mischievous IRN
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
Thanks to you , Terry, you bumped me not so long ago to make some toys for my fids :D

All bunch of toys made, and already destroyed... :D the big one was a huge hit for the budgie, she shredded all the carton ones...
IMG20220211162917.jpg

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
As we all know, bird toys are expensive to buy, so many of us make our own.
We Mods thought it would be nice to have a thread where everyone can show off their toys, and include what parts you used.
I think we are all needing new ideas at some point, and this would be a great way to learn to make some different toys for our birds.

We do want to make sure that all parts used are safe, so please don't feel bad if someone has concerns about a part.
That's how we all learn.

So please share anything you make...toys, foot toys, foraging opportunities...anything that keeps your bird occupied.
It doesn't have to be anything fancy, as long as your bird likes it that is all that matters.
Hi, this isn’t a toy but a perching basket that Willow uses all the time. He doesn’t have to hang into my shoulder but can sit on or near my lap. It’s only real modification is the beads and bell on a lace hanging from the handle.

I have made more elaborate baskets in the past, am considering wrapping the basket handle with sisal rope but Willow is happy with it now and a plain handle is easy to clean. I save a piece of mail or small sales bulletin and put in layers in the bottom of the cage to catch poops.

I also figured out how to clean pinecones and coat with a seed mixture, then bake and hang up the whole toy. My birds like to eat the seed and then destroy the pine cone. They like destroying cleaned baked pine cones with no seeds, too.

Attachments

• 116189C7-7003-417E-B953-BDDC14C61440.jpeg
    116189C7-7003-417E-B953-BDDC14C61440.jpeg
    265 KB · Views: 114
OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Hi, this isn’t a toy but a perching basket that Willow uses all the time. He doesn’t have to hang into my shoulder but can sit on or near my lap. It’s only real modification is the beads and bell on a lace hanging from the handle.

I have made more elaborate baskets in the past, am considering wrapping the basket handle with sisal rope but Willow is happy with it now and a plain handle is easy to clean. I save a piece of mail or small sales bulletin and put in layers in the bottom of the cage to catch poops.

I also figured out how to clean pinecones and coat with a seed mixture, then bake and hang up the whole toy. My birds like to eat the seed and then destroy the pine cone. They like destroying cleaned baked pine cones with no seeds, too.
Awesome toy ideas! One of my Amazons loves to have a basket to chew up, but I bet my smaller birds would love having the handle to perch on.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020

When I had Lucy, she had an injured foot and leg so it was very important that perching surfaces were built up. I wrapped handles with lots of sisal or even vet wrap. Willow’s feet work fine so this is ok for him. BUT I just found my twine so I wrapped the handle. Maybe he will like this better.

My biggest issue right now is that he thinks all square pieces of paper are for pooping on. So I waited a bit too long and an electronics manual got pooped last week.

Attachments

• E0EDE6F3-6148-4421-A085-EBD8E933FF62.jpeg
    E0EDE6F3-6148-4421-A085-EBD8E933FF62.jpeg
    292.9 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Thanks to you , Terry, you bumped me not so long ago to make some toys for my fids :D

All bunch of toys made, and already destroyed... :D the big one was a huge hit for the budgie, she shredded all the carton ones...
View attachment 36774
Skar, these toys look better than anything a person can find on the shelf of a pet store.
So creative and beautiful! You have now re-inspired me, I love the way this works:)
What all did you use?

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Awesome toy ideas! One of my Amazons loves to have a basket to chew up, but I bet my smaller birds would love having the handle to perch on.
It would totally work for a Pionus (mine were less chewy birds) and in fact I’ve used larger baskets when I had a bronze wing and then a white capped pionus.

Jasper the Meyers parrot enjoys chewing so much that I haven’t put him on this basket. He found my heavy antique market basket one morning before I woke up and ate it while perched on the handle ☹️

OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
It would totally work for a Pionus (mine were less chewy birds) and in fact I’ve used larger baskets when I had a bronze wing and then a white capped pionus.

Jasper the Meyers parrot enjoys chewing so much that I haven’t put him on this basket. He found my heavy antique market basket one morning before I woke up and ate it while perched on the handle ☹️
My Meyers, Bogie, only wants pieces of wood dropped into his feed dish. He then takes them down to the bottom and shreds them. He may like a basket to sit on and play with, I'll; have to try that.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020

Jasper the Meyers parrot enjoys chewing so much that I haven’t put him on thbasket. He found my heavy antique market basket one morning before I woke up and ate it while perched on the handle ☹️
My Meyers, Bogie, only wants pieces of wood dropped into his feed dish. He then takes them down to the bottom and shreds them. He may like a basket to sit on and play with, I'll; have to try that.
I bet he’ll eat it. Which is probably just fine as long as it’s not varnished.
I find chewable wreaths and baskets at st Vincent de Paul, spray wash and bake on low to dry. My Meyers ate a small grapevine wreath, is now eating a wooden spoon, and has a big grapevine wreath for the future (unless I choose to decorate it).

I have some Curley willow twigs that I may liberate from their vase, rinse, and give him to devour. I could see if the Quaker wants to weave with them but he is so scared of new things that I doubt it.

Or maybe I could make toys for the Meyers? Like a broom to chew up.
Does anyone remember the β€œpacking the cage” practice for pluckers? (You put lots of chewy branches and stuff in your plucking birds cage and annoy him into chewing something besides his feathers.)

Skarila

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots

Previous owned:
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
Skar, these toys look better than anything a person can find on the shelf of a pet store.
So creative and beautiful! You have now re-inspired me, I love the way this works:)
What all did you use?

Thank you!! I mostly used this wide cardboard that is used for packing, it's so "crunchy" and easy for tearing, the birds adore it! Also has some very thick corner cardboards. Some wooden beads, wooden blocks i picked up at pet supply store, coconut shell... And coconut fibre ropes :D

And I embedded your idea with the muffin paper liners - its perfect for hiding some treats there!

Also one of them has a big piece of wood with bark, also got it at the pet supply store.... The budgie was working on that one furiously hard :D

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Thank you!! I mostly used this wide cardboard that is used for packing, it's so "crunchy" and easy for tearing, the birds adore it! Also has some very thick corner cardboards. Some wooden beads, wooden blocks i picked up at pet supply store, coconut shell... And coconut fibre ropes :D

And I embedded your idea with the muffin paper liners - its perfect for hiding some treats there!

Also one of them has a big piece of wood with bark, also got it at the pet supply store.... The budgie was working on that one furiously hard :D
Oh, those corner blocks for shipping furniture? Those are really heavy and nice.
I also have muffin liners to wrap goodies in.

I buy the tiny boxes of raisins, poke holes in the boxes (and eat some of the raisins to only leave a few), and hang them on plastic baby links in my Quaker’s and conure’s cages and for the Meyers as well. It’s important to make some holes and shake them so they rattle enticingly before hanging them. Otherwise the smaller birds may not figure it out.

I will post a photo.

Attachments

• CE4723C1-BE31-4FEB-BC48-C201B897E21D.jpeg
    CE4723C1-BE31-4FEB-BC48-C201B897E21D.jpeg
    252.2 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:

Skarila

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots

Previous owned:
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
Oh, those corner blocks for shipping furniture? Those are really heavy and nice.
I also have muffin liners to wrap goodies in.

I buy the tiny boxes of raisins, poke holes in the boxes (and eat some of the raisins to only leave a few), and hang them on plastic baby links in my Quaker’s and conure’s cages and for the Meyers as well. It’s important to make some holes and shake them so they rattle enticingly before hanging them. Otherwise the smaller birds may not figure it out.

I will post a photo.
Oh, cannot wait to see! :D new ideas are always welcome!!

Also i noticed with my birds that they don't like when their toys hang and dangle. They always goes for those that are firmly attached to the side of the cage so they can do maximum damage. I came to this conclusion since they always attacked my furniture and picture frames. Ever since I've tied some blocks to the cage walls tightly, the budgie left alone the furniture finaly... But I have to keep adding different thigs for her so she doesn't get bored. Pascal simply likes paper, so it's easy to entertain him.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Oh, cannot wait to see! :D new ideas are always welcome!!

Also i noticed with my birds that they don't like when their toys hang and dangle. They always goes for those that are firmly attached to the side of the cage so they can do maximum damage. I came to this conclusion since they always attacked my furniture and picture frames. Ever since I've tied some blocks to the cage walls tightly, the budgie left alone the furniture finaly... But I have to keep adding different thigs for her so she doesn't get bored. Pascal simply likes paper, so it's easy to entertain him.
Really? My Quaker and greencheek conure like dangling things that they can beat up to make more noise with. Showing the Quaker (who’s scared of new things) that the heavy bells I got him make noise has convinced him they are fun and not scary.

OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
You all are coming up with such brilliant toys that the Mods decided to make this a sticky.
This thread shows that people can get creative without spending a lot of money when they make toys.
Let's keep the ideas coming! I think that it will benefit all of us to see new ideas:)

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
You all are coming up with such brilliant toys that the Mods decided to make this a sticky.
This thread shows that people can get creative without spending a lot of money when they make toys.
Let's keep the ideas coming! I think that it will benefit all of us to see new ideas:)
Here are pinecones with (washed) natural rope hangers. I make the loops too small for bird to stick his head through. I will give the plain cone to Jasper in his food dish and he will enjoy tearing it up. Previously, I soaked (in mild soapy water and then plain water) the pinecones and baked them at 250 f to remove loose debris and kill any bugs.

I have also mixed seed and fruit mix with egg, and used this to pack into multiple pinecones. Then set the pinecones in muffin tins and baked at a lower temp (300?). When cool the seeds stick into the cones. But this is a better treat for finches and canaries and little flying birds as parrots dont So much need seeds.
I bet you could do this with only fruit bits of only safflower seeds for a special pine cone treat. I tie or glue loops of natural twine to the tops of pinecones to hang in the cage. Elmers glue is nontoxic (I’ve seen kids drink it) and it works fine once dry.

Dried fruit can also be punched and hung on a quick link or plastic baby link. You just want to make sure it gets eaten quickly as it can be fouled with droppings or get wet and mold or spoil.

Attachments

• 6614236D-3E0B-407B-8051-D4F0B48A08F8.jpeg
    6614236D-3E0B-407B-8051-D4F0B48A08F8.jpeg
    303.1 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:

Skarila

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots

Previous owned:
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
Really? My Quaker and greencheek conure like dangling things that they can beat up to make more noise with. Showing the Quaker (who’s scared of new things) that the heavy bells I got him make noise has convinced him they are fun and not scary.
Yeah, they love to destroy stuff if it is firmly attached. I attached some of that same cardboard onto the stand (I really have no idea where to get more, they are destroying it so fast)

Here you can see Pascal working hard minutes after I put it on. (i have no idea how to put the video directly into the post)

Icca

Feb 1, 2022
When I had Lucy, she had an injured foot and leg so it was very important that perching surfaces were built up. I wrapped handles with lots of sisal or even vet wrap. Willow’s feet work fine so this is ok for him. BUT I just found my twine so I wrapped the handle. Maybe he will like this better.

My biggest issue right now is that he thinks all square pieces of paper are for pooping on. So I waited a bit too long and an electronics manual got pooped last week.
Wrapped basket perches are great!! Especially for when I was moving a hormonal crabby bird who wouldn't step up on a stick

OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Here are pinecones with (washed) natural rope hangers. I make the loops too small for bird to stick his head through. I will give the plain cone to Jasper in his food dish and he will enjoy tearing it up. Previously, I soaked (in mild soapy water and then plain water) the pinecones and baked them at 250 f to remove loose debris and kill any bugs.

I have also mixed seed and fruit mix with egg, and used this to pack into multiple pinecones. Then set the pinecones in muffin tins and baked at a lower temp (300?). When cool the seeds stick into the cones. But this is a better treat for finches and canaries and little flying birds as parrots dont So much need seeds.
I bet you could do this with only fruit bits of only safflower seeds for a special pine cone treat. I tie or glue loops of natural twine to the tops of pinecones to hang in the cage. Elmers glue is nontoxic (I’ve seen kids drink it) and it works fine once dry.

Dried fruit can also be punched and hung on a quick link or plastic baby link. You just want to make sure it gets eaten quickly as it can be fouled with droppings or get wet and mold or spoil.
My guys love Pine cones, I really need to collect more next fall.
I also use branches of our lilac tree. I cut off some, wash and then bake at 250 for while like you do with pine cones. I then stick several of them through the vine balls for them to pull out.

Most Reactions

Latest posts