Weaning thoughts

kodeblue

Feb 10, 2016
We have a new almost 6 week old GCC. We've had him 5 days now and hand feed him out of a dropper. He likes eating nuts daily as well as fresh fruit. After researching food, I think I have decided to order some Tops. At his age, should I get the crumplets or all in one? When should I start weaning him? We do have a millet in a dish in his cage but he hasn't really had much of it.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Hi there, and welcome to the forums. :)

How many feedings is your GCC on, and how much many ml does he get at each feeding?

IMO Tops is a GREAT pellet! I'd get the regular ones, and if you find they're too big for your baby, it would be easy enough to crumble them up yourself. :)

Now is the perfect time to introduce him to as many fresh veggies and other fresh things that you can think of. A varied diet is always best.
Here is a pretty comprehensive list of food items (safe AND toxic ones are listed) http://www.parrotforums.com/parrot-...afe-fresh-foods-toxic-food-lists-sprouts.html

As for the weaning process - it takes time. It won't happen overnight. There may be days he wants more handfeeding than others. Don't rush the process. Not a single bird hasn't eventually been completely weaned.

OP
K

kodeblue

Feb 10, 2016
Hi there, and welcome to the forums. :)

How many feedings is your GCC on, and how much many ml does he get at each feeding?

Thanks for the link. Ginger feeds about 5 times daily about 5ml each time plus his fruit and nuts.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I admit that's a feeding routine I'm not familiar with. :confused:

"Usually" a chick gets about 10% of his/her body weight at each feeding. At 6 weeks, Ginger ideally should be on no more than 2 feedings. Again, this is only a guideline, and no 2 birds are ever the same.

OP
K

kodeblue

Feb 10, 2016
I weighed her yesterday morning and again this morning. She weighed 76 g. I'm not sure if she is getting the full dropper of formula as it is hard to tell LOL.so are you saying we should cut back on her feeding of the formula?

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Yes, I would. 5 feedings is a lot for a 7 week old conure. I'd try going down to 3 feedings, and monitor the weight. If she does well go down to 2 feedings, again monitor weight. Sooner or later you'll be at 1 feeding. She's at a good weight right now. :)

She 'may' lose a little during the weaning process, so don't be alarmed.

OP
K

kodeblue

Feb 10, 2016
We will try that. Aside from the fresh 2 or 3 nuts and a piece of fresh fruit, usually kiwi or Apple, what do you suggest giving her? Today I picked up Zupreem fruit blend with natural fruit flavours. Thanks for the advice by the way. We appreciate it.

Most Reactions

Latest posts