Weather alert and Quaker frightened!

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I have Willow out on his basket. We just had a text weather alert and it was gusty outside. I was trying to give Willow a fruit treat and he couldnā€™t get settled down. Kept dropping the treat, scurrying around flapping, making grumpy noises. It seemed like he wanted to fly or hide.

I ended up cupping him in my hands while he sat on the basket against my nose and cheek. Told him I love you and itā€™s ok and rubbed his head and beak. He stopped fussing and settled down. Nibbled on the dried cherry but then dropped it again.

He just did a tail wag and yawn so I think weā€™re ok now.

OP
HeatherG

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
And weā€™re getting tall and flappy again. Wish I knew what was going on. Maybe a change in barometric pressure? Poor flying weather?

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
If its dark, mine are uncomfortable away from cage.
But they haven't reacted to storms, hurricane, or fireworks if tucked into their tents

Id say instincts are telling him to hunker down in safe roost

cnyguy

Apr 23, 2010
Syracuse, NY
Parrots
Quaker parrot, Ralph
QP Ralph and CAG Scooter don't like it when it's very windy. The swaying of tree branches really upsets them. Closing the window blinds helps calm them.
Changes in barometric pressure affects many things. It could affect parrots' behavior too.

OP
HeatherG

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Well, Willow continued to act unhappy. I asked if he wanted to go back to his house, his cage. He flapped so I brought him back to the living room and he ran into his cage to settle in.

OP
HeatherG

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Saturday was calmer and Willow is happy and calm. He had a nice long snuggle time and is fast asleep now.

Attachments

• 374A1204-127E-40C7-B409-60441645E489.jpeg
    374A1204-127E-40C7-B409-60441645E489.jpeg
    171.4 KB · Views: 81
OP
HeatherG

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Willow is clearly a smart bird, but he is scared of so many things! I try to give him little gadgets that other Quakers or conures have liked to mess with and he runs away. It makes me sad because he doesnā€™t get many new toys. I would expect him to steal little things but he avoids and stares at anything new.

Do you think this will change ever? Heā€™s been with me a year and a half. I would like to give him more toys but that doesnā€™t work. How silly!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I agree as standard quaker are not afraid of new toys or stuff and steel anything small im working with and fly up to the ceiling fan out of reach .

But Penny my rescue took a long time to rehabilitate. Still not much interested. But she will take anything I hand her very polite, then tosses it like I don't want your junk!

I like kinda annoying them. Like tie beads outside the cage, ooo tgey try and get them. Or I put hoops on their perches or stuff they have to drag to the end if the perch to dump. Or cut up toys tgey can chew and dangle head hight over their food bowl, or drop a bottle cap in their water bowl or marbles . Or hang papper fringe over their favorite perch so they'll have to duck under it

OP
HeatherG

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I agree as standard quaker are not afraid of new toys or stuff and steel anything small im working with and fly up to the ceiling fan out of reach .

But Penny my rescue took a long time to rehabilitate. Still not much interested. But she will take anything I hand her very polite, then tosses it like I don't want your junk!

I like kinda annoying them. Like tie beads outside the cage, ooo tgey try and get them. Or I put hoops on their perches or stuff they have to drag to the end if the perch to dump. Or cut up toys tgey can chew and dangle head hight over their food bowl, or drop a bottle cap in their water bowl or marbles . Or hang papper fringe over their favorite perch so they'll have to duck under it
I try to ā€˜handā€™ him (beak him?) things I think he would like, such as a heavy plastic ring or a coffee stirrer or a jingle bell and he freezes and stares at them like theyā€™re terrifying. There are several fun toys on Willowā€™s cage floor which he ignores. I donā€™t think heā€™s been down there. If a half cherry tomato falls to the floor itā€™s just gone from existence .

Willow used to fly around someoneā€™s home. I would think that would be a rich experience but he is so leery of any toy he hasnā€™t had for years. I cleaned up and fixed his old old toys with beads so theyā€™re a bit more fun. But he is so wary. Finally after a year plus he will play with a seagrass net playgym.

Today we watched and listened to Quakers talking on YouTube. He seemed to think that was pretty neat at first, but after a half hour he was done. He flapped and got very restless. So I cuddled him a bit and then brought him back to his cage for dinner and probably sleep.

OP
HeatherG

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Itā€™s late spring/early summer and thereā€™s a thunderstorm here in the upper Midwest u.s. i heard some sort of horn earlier today. Tornado watch, maybe? Now itā€™s storming and I hear ambulance sirens outside. The lights have flickered a bunch of times and itā€™s quite dark in the mid afternoon.

Willow seems ok, in contrast to that last windstorm that happened in winter. Actually, heā€™s on his basket, on my lap, puffed up and sleepy. Now heā€™s crunching his beak. I wonder what the difference is? If Willow was outside I bet he wouldnā€™t be all happy.

Most Reactions

Latest posts