Weighing Your Parrot Daily

Oct 5, 2023
Media
Albums
Las Vegas, Nevada
Parrots
Macaws, Cockatoo's, Amazons, Eclectus, Parakeets
Weighing Your Parrot Daily

Weighing your parrot regularly is a valuable practice for monitoring its health. Consistent weight tracking can help you detect early signs of illness or other issues in your pet bird. Here are some key points to consider:

Establish a Baseline: Start by weighing your parrot when it's healthy. This establishes a baseline weight that you can use for comparison in the future.

Regular Weighing: Ideally, you should weigh your parrot at the same time each day or week to get accurate measurements. Birds can have slight weight fluctuations throughout the day due to food and water consumption.

Monitor for Changes: Any significant deviation from the baseline weight can be an early indicator of a problem. Weight loss can be a sign of illness or malnutrition, while rapid weight gain may indicate overeating or another issue.

Document Changes: Keep a record of your parrot's weights over time. This documentation will help you identify trends or patterns in its weight fluctuations.

Consult a Veterinarian: If you notice consistent weight loss or gain, or any other concerning signs such as changes in behavior, appetite, or droppings, consult a qualified avian veterinarian immediately. They can provide a thorough examination and diagnostic tests to determine the underlying cause.

Best of luck,

Clint Carvalho

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Really good basic information, but unless you include that the weight is best taking first thing in the morning after the birds first movement and prior to food or water the variation in weight will be of little use!! Please confirm you information sources as although better than nothing, unless that additional sentence is added your information is not complete!

OP
The Parrot Pro
Oct 5, 2023
Media
Albums
Las Vegas, Nevada
Parrots
Really good basic information, but unless you include that the weight is best taking first thing in the morning after the birds first movement and prior to food or water the variation in weight will be of little use!! Please confirm you information sources as although better than nothing, unless that additional sentence is added your information is not complete!
From my article for which I am the author. I 'm an avian speaker here in Las Vegas that's a 24hr town. So I can't use morning because everyone's morning can be different. Regular Weighing Ideally, you should weigh your parrot at the same time each day or week to get accurate measurements. Birds can have slight weight fluctuations throughout the day due to food and water consumption. Thank you for your reply, and yes, you are absolutely right. Clint

OP
The Parrot Pro
Oct 5, 2023
Media
Albums
Las Vegas, Nevada
Parrots
Yes indeed!! LOL

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
From my article for which I am the author. I 'm an avian speaker here in Las Vegas that's a 24hr town. So I can't use morning because everyone's morning can be different. Regular Weighing Ideally, you should weigh your parrot at the same time each day or week to get accurate measurements. Birds can have slight weight fluctuations throughout the day due to food and water consumption. Thank you for your reply, and yes, you are absolutely right. Clint
Sorry that you believe that your writings and presentations should be based around a 24/7 place in which people have little concern regarding the well-being of their Parrots as to force that 24/7 life on a Parrot who is driven by the simple time schedule of the Sun! And, as their World crash head-on far more than weight begins to become problematic.

There is nothing more enlightening than a full-on hormonal Amazon who's a member of the Big Hot Three, and totally chemically inspired because his/her owners live that 24/7 lifestyle. Not sure you have experienced such event? Commonly, the Human is rushing to the ER! When one carries the heavy title of 'Parrot Pro,' one will, at some point, have an Owner that has been face scared asking what can they do?

I know somethings about Amazons, but have never referenced myself at your level as I have found that the more one learns about them, the more one understands just how tiny our knowledge is! Consider the effects of LED lights that has become so common as an example.

Thank you for your reply.

OP
The Parrot Pro
Oct 5, 2023
Media
Albums
Las Vegas, Nevada
Parrots
Sorry that you believe that your writings and presentations should be based around a 24/7 place in which people have little concern regarding the well-being of their Parrots as to force that 24/7 life on a Parrot who is driven by the simple time schedule of the Sun! And, as their World crash head-on far more than weight begins to become problematic.

There is nothing more enlightening than a full-on hormonal Amazon who's a member of the Big Hot Three, and totally chemically inspired because his/her owners live that 24/7 lifestyle. Not sure you have experienced such event? Commonly, the Human is rushing to the ER! When one carries the heavy title of 'Parrot Pro,' one will, at some point, have an Owner that has been face scared asking what can they do?

I know somethings about Amazons, but have never referenced myself at your level as I have found that the more one learns about them, the more one understands just how tiny our knowledge is! Consider the effects of LED lights that has become so common as an example.
Thank you for expressing your concerns about the well-being of parrots in the context of a 24/7 environment. I understand the importance of considering various lifestyles and their potential impacts on these birds. Rather than challenging a simple article aimed at assisting people, I believe it would be more beneficial to contribute additional insights that align with our collective goal of promoting responsible parrot care.

Given my global recognition for parrot rescue, rehabilitation, and training, I'm always eager to share knowledge that can enhance the understanding of these birds. If you have specific questions or topics related to parrot well-being, I'm here to provide expert advice and contribute to the ongoing conversation about optimal care practices. Here is just some of my body of work.

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
LoL those videos were cool thanks for sharing

Well it is certainly a good idea to track your birds weight or at least know it's baseline weight.
If my birds loose 5% of their body weight then I would be concerned and I would monitor them closely.
If they loose 10% then I would be taking them to a vet.

Last edited:
OP
The Parrot Pro
Oct 5, 2023
Media
Albums
Las Vegas, Nevada
Parrots
LoL those videos were cool thanks for sharing

Well it is certainly a good idea to track your birds weight or at least know it's baseline weight.
If my birds loose 5% of their body weight then I would be concerned and I would monitor them closely.
If they loose 10% then I would be taking them to a vet.
Your bird is so darn adorable. It's awesome of you to know your birds exact weight. Good Job! Clint

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
Thank you for expressing your concerns about the well-being of parrots in the context of a 24/7 environment. I understand the importance of considering various lifestyles and their potential impacts on these birds. Rather than challenging a simple article aimed at assisting people, I believe it would be more beneficial to contribute additional insights that align with our collective goal of promoting responsible parrot care.

Given my global recognition for parrot rescue, rehabilitation, and training, I'm always eager to share knowledge that can enhance the understanding of these birds. If you have specific questions or topics related to parrot well-being, I'm here to provide expert advice and contribute to the ongoing conversation about optimal care practices. Here is just some of my body of work.
Amazing! I absolutely love watching parrot shows. I never get tired of hearing those Amazons sing either. Just amazing every time.

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Your bird is so darn adorable. It's awesome of you to know your birds exact weight. Good Job! Clint
Yeah that's my pet cocky Shifty and his even more adorable than he looks.
He had a mate that died a few months ago. Her weight dropped from 90g to only 60g so quickly it was sad to see.
But welcome to the forum

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)

Your videos were amazing & Kitty is absolutely incredible!

Most Reactions