weight records

Doscar

Aug 18, 2021
Kentucky
Parrots
Oscar a 14-year-old blue gold macaw.
Coco a 22-year-old Congo African grey.
Oscar was a rescue I am his 3rd home and hopefully last.
Coco is from an older couple, I'm his 2nd home.
I am not very active on this forum, but I read a lot of the posts. Recently I've been seeing quite a few birds passing. I think one of the most important tools in our arsenal is keeping good records of their weights. I made an excel template for myself to keep records of my boy's weights. I can only post it as a pdf file on here. I'd be more than happy to share the excel file if I could figure out how to post it. Or send me a message I could always email it if anyone is interested. I have it set up, so you put their weight in in grams and it converts to ounces and keeps a running average at the bottom of the sheet. Any suggestions for improvements are welcome. Just thought I would offer it out as a tool as I haven't seen or found anything to help with such an important record.
Thanks and have a great day.

Attachments

• weight template.pdf
    75.3 KB · Views: 99

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I agree very important to track weight.

Sailboat has a bigger species, so he can see( im guessing here) a 10 gram variation during the day. But what's important % body mass lost . You aren't going to see a 3% or more body mass variation in a day. 3% loss start looking for a reason, anything more as a trend see a veterinarian. 5%- 10% get to the veterinarian within a couple of days. I'm for weekly weight checks as mine who got sick had a big change in a week.

We could do a forum project and weigh our burds in the morning and evening. To see how much variation in a day is average. I did this for awhile with only my green cheek to see if there was a big difference. There was not in her st least. Her weight is 74 grams any time during the day I weight check she was 74 grams, with a rare 72 or 75 weights . But with larger species it would likely be a few more grams. Anyway would be interesting. I might do for mine again just to see...

There has been a lot of lives lost recently. But mine was traumatic brain injury as well as another members.
Its there sudden unexpected ones that its possible to have picked up an issues by weight loss.

Theo_the _best_birb!!!

Sep 22, 2021
I agree very important to track weight.

Sailboat has a bigger species, so he can see( im guessing here) a 10 gram variation during the day. But what's important % body mass lost . You aren't going to see a 3% or more body mass variation in a day. 3% loss start looking for a reason, anything more as a trend see a veterinarian. 5%- 10% get to the veterinarian within a couple of days. I'm for weekly weight checks as mine who got sick had a big change in a week.

We could do a forum project and weigh our burds in the morning and evening. To see how much variation in a day is average. I did this for awhile with only my green cheek to see if there was a big difference. There was not in her st least. Her weight is 74 grams any time during the day I weight check she was 74 grams, with a rare 72 or 75 weights . But with larger species it would likely be a few more grams. Anyway would be interesting. I might do for mine again just to see...

There has been a lot of lives lost recently. But mine was traumatic brain injury as well as another members.
Its there sudden unexpected ones that its possible to have picked up an issues by weight loss.
I’m sorry for your for your loss❤️ It horrible. I think it would be fun to see the difference as well!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I should add for clarity , its not weight change in a single day , but a trend down over several days, or week/s that is important.

Or any symptoms regardless of weight-change.

Example: my green cheek normal weight 74 grams. If she dropped to 69 grams a 5 gram weight loss

5 ÷ 74 = 0. 0695 x 100 = 6.9%

6.9% im taking her to the vet
And this situation did happen and she was started on antibiotics and recovered. She had no other symptoms at that time

Last edited:
OP
Doscar

Doscar

Aug 18, 2021
Kentucky
Parrots
I would recommend adding TIME to you list as when weight is taken at different times during the day, weight will vary, sometimes widely.

FYI: Love your chart!!
Hello Sailboat,
I took your advice and added time to my sheet.
Thanks

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Weight variations in the larger species can drive one nuts because as noted its about percentage. Our DYN Amazon commonly sits around 500 grams at a morning weight. During the day especially after he had found a favorite food or a heavier food item he can add 20 grams over his base.

With a healthy Parrot, we watch trends and we will check once a week. But if there is a problem, we will check everyday.

Once again, love the chart.
Cheers.

OP
Doscar

Doscar

Aug 18, 2021
Kentucky
Parrots
Weight variations in the larger species can drive one nuts because as noted its about percentage. Our DYN Amazon commonly sits around 500 grams at a morning weight. During the day especially after he had found a favorite food or a heavier food item he can add 20 grams over his base.

With a healthy Parrot, we watch trends and we will check once a week. But if there is a problem, we will check everyday.

Once again, love the chart.
Cheers.
I get it my macaw can fluctuate quite a bit after a meal.

Most Reactions

Latest posts