went to the vet

RSRosey

Feb 6, 2008
Media
Yesterday was "Blanch's" first doctor appointment. She did well. The vet couldn't believe the hack job on her one wing. She gave her what she calls a modified baby trim on the other to try to help balance it out. We will just have to wait for her to moult and start fresh with a good clip. She trimmed her nails for me...ohhhhh so much better to hold her now. She gave me some advice on being in charge and "earthquake" (Haven't made up my mind on this yet. would love to hear what everyone here thinks about it). She did take blood for tests and for the DNA sexing. (I should know in a week if I have a little girl or little boy) The vet was in love with Blanch's eyelashes. She gave her some vitamins in a shot and told me to try Harrison's High potency pellets. I have to order them today or tomorrow online. I have noticed she is being a little more picky with the pellets lately, I have been reducing the amount of seed mixed in with them to try to get her on mostly pellets...and well she is just picking out the seeds and eating her fresh or cooked food...I don't think she is eating the pellets.

The doc believes she is probably a girl. She said its not science but based on the shape of her head and beak...girl. The breeder thought so too and that is how she ended up being Blanch at the pet store.

Blanch meet a cute DYH at the office. He was coming out from a grooming appointment and was very talkative. Too cute. He looked in the crate and said "Hello Baby" Too funny. I think Blanch was scared though she was in the back of the crate...she was curious though she would come up from time to time to look. He kept telling everyone "Good bye" and then he said something along the lines of come back again..or maybe thanks so much. I can't remember now. It was quite funny. He had one of those contagious laughs. He had everyone in there laughing with him. He was 40 years old.

Rhonda

I am glad you guys had a nice first vet visit. Sounds like you have found a good avian vet (so important). I have seen some crazy hack jobs done to wings from people who cut all the flights on just one wing to people who cut all the secondaries and coverts. I even remember a wierd lady who used to bring her male indian ringneck in to the store (we did free bird grooming) and she would ask that his wings be trimmed, nails be trimmed, beak tip rounded and his TAIL cut short! Not all of it, just the longest two feathers.
Anyway, I think that its a good idea to have someone else groom your bird. Then you can "rescue" her from the evil towel monster.
Now might be a good time to get her a nice wide concrete perch to keep her nails under control. On the three large parrorts I keep in my house I haven't had to trim nails in years.
I'm sure you can't wait to find out the sex, you must let us know:).

I actually bought her a perch like that...she was afraid of it at first, now she just doesn't spend time on it...the lay out of her cage is a bit odd right now. The new one is on its way. Much bigger for her. The cage I bought with her is (in my opinion) only really big enough for small conures or cockatiels. I don't feel too bad about it because it was a temporary cage and will break down and can be used if she needs to visit anyone (a vaccation for us...yeah like that happens) and it was the cage she was used to, I wanted her transistion to this house to be as easy as possible. Plus she is only in the cage for time outs, sleeping and from time to time if we go away. Mostly she is out. (Which is the way I want it to always be, one of the reasons I waited so long to get a bird)
Rhonda

It can be hard to get them to use the concrete perch. You could try making the concrete perch the one she has to stand on to reach her food dish. And remember that it is not just standing on it that files their nails, it is walking across it and climbing on and off of it.
I am glad you have her out most of the time and I'm sure she does too.

I will try to keep that in mind when I set up her new cage. She does seem happiest when she is out...even if I am not in there with her...she plays and talks.
Rhonda

Update on Blanch

Her test results came back today. She is fine...only she isn't a she...she is a he. LOL. That was my gut instinct but because the breeder and the vet both guessed female I thought well they know a lot more than I do. Well now he needs a new name. LOL.
RHonda

Any ideas for a name? Or can we have a "Give Blanch an appropriate name contest"!!!! :D

names

Right now we are leaning towards Pistachio. He has the blueish green color and he loves pistachios. I am also working on some common words that I think of with him...only in spanish. Nothing so far.
Rhonda

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back