Went to the zoo yesterday

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
First, I know zoos are pretty controversial right now and as a long time vegan and supporter of better legal protections for animals, that community tells me I should hate and despise zoos (unsure of the general consensus here). I personally don't hate and despise ALL zoos. I think well managed zoos are important in helping the public form a personal connection to these animals and thus feel more driven to demand protection for their wild cousins. I also see the importance of zoos in conservation via professionally managed breeding programs for critically endangered species. The Oregon zoo, based on my observations, seemed to have clean enclosures, animals on display appeared healthy, none I saw seemed to be in distress and enclosures were large with natural features and places for the animals to be out of view of the public. I would say it appeared to be a well managed zoo and I have nothing bad to say about that particular zoo except it was VERY busy for a random Tuesday in September (I hate crowds).

I got into a conversation about the condor exhibit with one of the volunteers. Apparently, they have a huge breeding facility helping to save the species locally (not on the zoo premises but I think associated with the zoo somehow?). At one point, all the wild condors left were captured and through captive breeding programs to help save the species, they are now preparing to release a bunch back to the wild (and I *think* some already have been)! They had 3 HUGE, beautiful male condors on display. From what I gathered, these birds may eventually end up being released to the wild as they were healthy (i.e. no injuries or disabilities that would prevent it or anything like that) and steps have been taken to keep them from associating humans with food/make feeding as natural as possible. The 3 were not sitting together, and this is the only shot I got of 2 together:
attachment.php

And of course they had all the animals you'd expect to see, elephants, big cats, giraffes etc... but I naturally seemed to gravitate primarily to the birds:rolleyes: here are some of the animals I saw:
attachment.php

attachment.php

(Everyone was congregated over here for some reason)

attachment.php

Lastly, (If Terry reads this) I saw a 'wild' Dactyl lol. I've always admired her very unusual worm eating bearded barbaret but had never seen one in real life before. I thought they'd be bigger. It was so tiny, it was pretty hard to find in the big walk in bird space (I actually found all the birds they said were in there, but there were a couple so high up/obstructed by branches I couldn't get good photos):
attachment.php

Last edited:

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
Personally, I think well maintained zoos with proper enclosures, food, and enrichment for their animals are very beneficial. Not only can they help endangered animals (breeding programs) they can save animals that were injured in the wild and may not be able to be released for whatever reason. They're also a great source of education!

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I also love well managed zoos!
Those condors are incredible! How wonderful if they are able to be released at some point.
I'm so glad you got to see a Dactyl there! Yep, they are definitely not big birds, I never thought about posting a pic of Dactyl with something to compare him to. He is the only one I have seen in person. I was told (no idea whether it is true) that Dactyl originally came from the Calgary zoo. This person told me that he had gotten Dactyl and a couple of other ones because the zoo had shut down that exhibit.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I completely agree with your sentiments, April. At best, a zoo allows observation of species normally viewed via print or electronic media. Many zoos actively participate in protecting endangered species and propagation via breeding programs with a goal of release into the wild.

California Condors were successfully reintroduced to the wild, however there have been losses associated with passive human activities.

Oregon Zoo condors: https://www.oregonzoo.org/discover/animals/california-condor
San Diego Zoo condors: https://animals.sandiegozoo.org/animals/california-condor

In 1982 there were an estimated 22 California Condors in the wild. Today, nearly 450.

condor-pop-2010-2016.jpg

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Our local Zoo has been transforming itself over the last 25 years. Today, our Zoo, which sits in a very hilly area is a wonderful and enjoyable place to visit. They have also, placed a greater attention to have examples of regional wild life. Most all are unable to be released due to handicaps. The majority of wild life beyond our region have been coming from smaller Zoos that are closing down. I'm very impressed with the direction our local Zoo is going and I am clearly not alone in that as we also have a very busy Zoo.

Great photos as always!
Was Kiwi able to make the trip?

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Great info on the condors! They were such beautiful and massive birds!

The zoo does not allow pets, even big exotic green ones ones that could pass for a zoo exhibit:p Even if they did, I was there to get photos of animals and wouldn't have wanted to skip ones like the tiger, the eagle etc... that I'm fairly certain would have scared Kiwi. He may like to act like a tough guy, but I'm pretty sure instinct would have kicked in when he saw animals that are similar to what would actually eat him in nature.

Most Reactions

Latest posts