What are the Best triangle beds for Conures?

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Neotropical Pigeon - "Skittles" (born 3/29/10)
Cockatiel - "Peaches" (1995-2015) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
I think you are probably right. He is just very content with how things are. Its why I keep that in mind. I have to be mindful every day of our boundaries and how important enforcing them is. I've no doubt that if I didn't do that, he'd either return to how he was or perhaps even be much worse.

MegZ

Sep 24, 2020
MN
Parrots
One Green Cheek Conure
Anything special dark spot like a tube still will stimulate hormones in most birds.

yes very true, though if this specific one isn't being hormonal with it as some occasionally don't get hormonal, and if used to sleeping like this and being unhappy with sleeping any other way it would be better for a cardboard tube than a tent as I've not seen a single tent that wasn't dangerous in some form

Actually this isn't true Triggs, with all due respect, just because a bird hasn't shown any hormonal issues before does not at all mean they won't start, and the quickest way to get them to start is to keep doing things that encourage hormonal behavior, namely allowing them access to ANY small, dark, warm places that they can get under or inside of, giving them ANY type of nesting-material, bedding, wood chips, shredded papers, etc., or giving them any types of towels, blankets, or other types of cloth.

***The best example I can give you is Sunny, the Sun Conure that had a Triangle-Bed/Hut inside of her cage for the first 7 years of her life and had no hormonal-behavior or issues at all, and then out of nowhere she formed a ton of Follicles and formed the first egg she ever had at the age of 7, which was so large that she became egg-bound and had to have open abdominal surgery done on an emergency basis to remove the egg, and almost died. And now she's on hormonal-implants to make sure it doesn't happen again, because if it does she will likely die and not make it through another surgery...And the Triangle Bed/Hut is completely gone forever now...

***So it makes no difference at all whether or not your Conure has had any issues in the past with hormonal behaviors, aggressive behaviors due to hormones, or any Follicle/Egg-Laying issues, if you keep providing her with ANY TYPE of bed, tent, "Hut", boxes, or any other small, dark places that she can get into or underneath (such as furniture she can get underneath), she will eventually start having severe hormonal issues, and we never know what that will mean in each individual pet/captive bird. When their hormones go crazy they can react/suffer in many different ways, from being overly stimulated and masturbating constantly, to constantly burrowing under/into things, to becoming extremely aggressive and violent with everyone, to plucking and self-mutilating all of a sudden, to being a chronic egg-layer, which is the most dangerous hormonal issue, because egg-binding is 100% fatal without immediate Avian medical intervention, and usually also is going to cost you thousands of dollars to treat, but you have no choice at that point or she'll die...

So obviously the best thing you can do for your bird, the safest and healthiest thing you can do for your bird, especially a Conure species who are seemingly the most-problematic when it comes to hormonal issues, is to remove ALL beds, tents, Huts, boxes, etc., and anything that could be used as nesting material, and just allow her to sleep on a perch like she would normally in the wild. Parrots certainly don't need any type of "bed", and providing a captive/pet parrot any type of 'bed" to sleep in is just we people trying to provide our pet parrots comforts that we think they need, when in-reality by providing them a "bed" or tent or Hut or box, all we are doing is providing them with things that they don't need, and that absolutely can potentially not only make them sick or literally kill them, but that can also ruin our relationships and bonds with them if they happen to be effected by hormonal-rages in an aggressive, violent way. So if you want to keep your Conure healthy, safe, and not provide anything that will eventually force her into Breeding-Season and hormonal-issues that are potentially lethal, please forget about providing her with any type of bed, tent, hammock, Hut, boxes, or anything that can be used as nesting-material.

I thought conures sometimes us hollows in trees. We don't have a hut or tube yet, so I just don't want to get something that is not a good idea.

Rozalka

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
yes very true, though if this specific one isn't being hormonal with it as some occasionally don't get hormonal, and if used to sleeping like this and being unhappy with sleeping any other way it would be better for a cardboard tube than a tent as I've not seen a single tent that wasn't dangerous in some form

Actually this isn't true Triggs, with all due respect, just because a bird hasn't shown any hormonal issues before does not at all mean they won't start, and the quickest way to get them to start is to keep doing things that encourage hormonal behavior, namely allowing them access to ANY small, dark, warm places that they can get under or inside of, giving them ANY type of nesting-material, bedding, wood chips, shredded papers, etc., or giving them any types of towels, blankets, or other types of cloth.

***The best example I can give you is Sunny, the Sun Conure that had a Triangle-Bed/Hut inside of her cage for the first 7 years of her life and had no hormonal-behavior or issues at all, and then out of nowhere she formed a ton of Follicles and formed the first egg she ever had at the age of 7, which was so large that she became egg-bound and had to have open abdominal surgery done on an emergency basis to remove the egg, and almost died. And now she's on hormonal-implants to make sure it doesn't happen again, because if it does she will likely die and not make it through another surgery...And the Triangle Bed/Hut is completely gone forever now...

***So it makes no difference at all whether or not your Conure has had any issues in the past with hormonal behaviors, aggressive behaviors due to hormones, or any Follicle/Egg-Laying issues, if you keep providing her with ANY TYPE of bed, tent, "Hut", boxes, or any other small, dark places that she can get into or underneath (such as furniture she can get underneath), she will eventually start having severe hormonal issues, and we never know what that will mean in each individual pet/captive bird. When their hormones go crazy they can react/suffer in many different ways, from being overly stimulated and masturbating constantly, to constantly burrowing under/into things, to becoming extremely aggressive and violent with everyone, to plucking and self-mutilating all of a sudden, to being a chronic egg-layer, which is the most dangerous hormonal issue, because egg-binding is 100% fatal without immediate Avian medical intervention, and usually also is going to cost you thousands of dollars to treat, but you have no choice at that point or she'll die...

So obviously the best thing you can do for your bird, the safest and healthiest thing you can do for your bird, especially a Conure species who are seemingly the most-problematic when it comes to hormonal issues, is to remove ALL beds, tents, Huts, boxes, etc., and anything that could be used as nesting material, and just allow her to sleep on a perch like she would normally in the wild. Parrots certainly don't need any type of "bed", and providing a captive/pet parrot any type of 'bed" to sleep in is just we people trying to provide our pet parrots comforts that we think they need, when in-reality by providing them a "bed" or tent or Hut or box, all we are doing is providing them with things that they don't need, and that absolutely can potentially not only make them sick or literally kill them, but that can also ruin our relationships and bonds with them if they happen to be effected by hormonal-rages in an aggressive, violent way. So if you want to keep your Conure healthy, safe, and not provide anything that will eventually force her into Breeding-Season and hormonal-issues that are potentially lethal, please forget about providing her with any type of bed, tent, hammock, Hut, boxes, or anything that can be used as nesting-material.

I thought conures sometimes us hollows in trees. We don't have a hut or tube yet, so I just don't want to get something that is not a good idea.
Wild conures yes - they always sleep in hollows

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Its good to have different options and experiences expressed. That allows people to do their own research and form an opinion.

Life isn't flat its full of changes , its good to be adaptable and make changes when needed.

I'm very pro sleeping places for conures and quakers. Taking into account that fuzz, and threads from rope perches, toys chewing your shirt,, ect, can be dangerous. They can silently build up in tge crop and lead to death.

That white soft rope with wood blocks sold everywhere. Rub it between your fingers and see all the fiber, threads that come off..

Last edited:

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
MegZ, you could try these trapeze-style seagrass mats as an alternative for those undesirable happy hut type beds. They are not as enclosed as the fabric huts so are less likely to overstimulate those hormones, and pose much less of a choking hazard since they are not made of synthetic materials. Here's my budgie Val demonstrating how he likes to use his occasionally when he wants to take the weight off...

lamanuka-albums-mars-birds-picture22350-basketcase.jpg

And my lorikeet Lilly modelling the smaller size mat...

lamanuka-albums-mars-birds-picture22346-lillyspalace4.jpg

(She had just had a big bath in this pic which is why she looks like heck!)

They are usually marketed as a Flying Trapeze or similar description. Lilly generally sleeps on top of one of her wicker toys actually, so to each their own!

Last edited:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Lillys cage is so ginormous!!!
I like the sea grass, I've made tgem oyt of card board too.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Aunty Laura, Lilly's cage is absolutely HUUUUUUUUUUUGE and she uses every millimetre of space in it too. Another thing about having a high octane nutcase lorikeet, it feels like no cage is ever big enough!!

Last edited:

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Wild birds have an outlet for their sexual desires...They may sleep in hollows, but wild birds do all sorts of stuff that captive birds cannot do...like mating, foraging for hours on end and flying 30+ miles a day...to name a few
They often get hormonal in captivity with these huts. People don't try to touch them in the wild....People wouldn't be involved...so as a person, if you want to keep a mellow-ISH bird, I'd not base anything solely on nature (you aren't natural, and neither is your bird's environment). We can't just pick and choose...It impacts their behavior in most cases, and since captivity is so unnatural, the kindest thing to do is try to turn down their natural hormonal levels..A hormonal bird can be a screaming, biting, egg-laying, self-mutilating, dive-bombing, cage-territorial bird...A bird defends its hollow in the wild, but it's not acceptable behavior in captivity.

Last edited:

Most Reactions