What bird do you think will suit me?

OP
Zoruace

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
I've owned four of these species, and from my experience, here's what I have for you. It's all about the individual and like Stormy said, any bird can be very unpredictable.

Budgies: solid choice. But they are very skittish and a LOT of them are not hand-tame and never will be. They can be playful (down to the individual) but are hard to keep track of, and it's very easy for them to get stuck somewhere while flying or playing. And in these kinds of situations, they panic and it's very difficult to get them. I think a budgie would work for you but...yeah.

Parrotlets: they are absolutely wonderful - I'm sure you can tell by the way I talk about Cricket. But they are living blobs of affection and SASS. They are very smart and can learn a lot of tricks, and are not half as skittish as budgies. They aren't goofy, but they're feisty. It takes a lot to keep up with them. Bottom line: not for you, not yet. Sometime in the future, though, you might be a great match for them.

Sennies: you know my Lilla is a very sweet girl, but many sennies aren't...like her. Most are more playful and outgoing, but not cuddly and cute all the time, and will be unpredictable. And are hard biters (thanks Skarila). Maybe though...? I think you could handle one, as long as you know what you're getting into.

Caiques: yes, I wouldn't recommend them for children, in most situations. Zoe, you are not inexperienced, I know that, but it's not even the bites. Caiques ARE hard biters and very unpredictable. But they're just clownish troublemakers in general. It's extremely difficult to keep up with them, especially when you go to school. I got Nutmeg as a student (older than you though) and it was hard. Amazing, but hard. And while they're what you said you're looking for..."PLAY PLAY PLAY", they're as big a commitment as any large bird. Not saying you couldn't consider getting one, just saying that I think you should wait if you want one.

You did a great job with Tango and Tiki. I'd say another conure or tiel would be an okay choice too.
Oh my fozzy this really helped!-
Thanks a bunch

Rolly

Aug 1, 2021
Iā€™ve been thinking of owning a new species of bird for a while now,
Ivā€™e owned a cockatiel and a sun conure, Iā€™m thinking of another conure species or maybe a cauiqe or a sennie

What species would you think suit me?
Of course it will be a while before getting a new bird..

Noise isnā€™t a problem at all
I actually enjoy it some times..

I donā€™t think Space will be a problem, even tho we live in an apartment now we are planning to move to a house (in a 2-4 months) that has lots (I mean LOTS) of space and a huge garden that we plan to make an aviary in

I know itā€™s different for each individual but I want a bird thatā€™s PLAY PLAY PLAY

I just want a goofy bird that loves interaction but ,this isnā€™t a must..

I would love a smart bird, of course all birds are smart but I want a bird that can learn a ton of tricks Iā€™ve seen it with parrotlets and sennies

I donā€™t want a bird thats a literal magnet so GCC is out of the list, I am OK with it to be a bit clingy tho

Iā€™d like a Lifespan of maybe 10-30 years

Mess is also not a problem, I clean
everything and i enjoy it a bit actually:)-

Which of these you think will suit me best?

If none do then what species do?

Senegal
Cauiqe
Any conure (not very clingy)
IRN, alex, etc
Parrotlet
Budgie
Quacker
I have a Rose Breasted Cockatoo. He is very smart and very funny.

OP
Zoruace

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
I have a Rose Breasted Cockatoo. He is very smart and very funny.
I know cockatoos can be fun but theyā€™re a no to me tbh
Their body language is hard to read and ill admit im a bit of a beak a phobie
Also their life spans are lonnnnggg

vsk101

Aug 13, 2017
San Francisco, CA
Parrots
Green Bean -Male Eclectus adopted 8/27/17 (6 months old)
Ivā€™e owned a cockatiel and a sun conure, Iā€™m thinking of another conure species or maybe a cauiqe or a sennie

I donā€™t think Space will be a problem, even tho we live in an apartment now we are planning to move to a house (in a 2-4 months) that has lots (I mean LOTS) of space and a huge garden that we plan to make an aviary in

I know itā€™s different for each individual but I want a bird thatā€™s PLAY PLAY PLAY

I would love a smart bird, of course all birds are smart but I want a bird that can learn a ton of tricks Iā€™ve seen it with parrotlets and sennies

I donā€™t want a bird thats a literal magnet so GCC is out of the list, I am OK with it to be a bit clingy tho

Senegal
Cauiqe
IRN, alex, etc
Parrotlet
Budgie
Quacker
I would recommend contacting a local rescue and talking with them. They will know various types of birds well and can recommend one that will be a good fit for you and your flock. You may even be able to foster a bird, which will give you an idea as to how the new addition will get along with your flock prior to a full commitment. There are so many stories of new birds not getting along with other birds in the household! If it doesn't work out, then you will know you helped a bird and can try another one.

OP
Zoruace

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
I would recommend contacting a local rescue and talking with them. They will know various types of birds well and can recommend one that will be a good fit for you and your flock. You may even be able to foster a bird, which will give you an idea as to how the new addition will get along with your flock prior to a full commitment. There are so many stories of new birds not getting along with other birds in the household! If it doesn't work out, then you will know you helped a bird and can try another one.
Thanks for the great tip but in my country we donā€™t have any rescues:(
My bird passed a while ago so Birds not getting along wonā€™t be a problem..

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
I think your choice to get another tiel is great. Our tiel was very ā€œplay play playā€, and while he was clingy when I was around, he also liked all my family members!

I have a friend who keeps tiels and parrotlets, and the parrotlets ARE the sassiest little birds Iā€™ve ever met. She jokes that theyā€™re her mini amazons, and I do not entirely disagree. They are very smart but very particular - one of hers absolutely loathed me on sight (made bird sitting lots of fun) and the other one merely tolerated me. Might be difficult when you live with other people, but every bird is different and some can be acclimated!

Ramble

Jul 4, 2019
Now in the beautiful Midwest!
Parrots
Bertie, the feisty, 17-yr-old, road-trippinā€™, green cheek conure

Senegal
Cauiqe
IRN, alex, etc
Parrotlet
Budgie
Quacker
So, just throwing my two centsā€™ worth inā€¦but how about a kakariki? Small, smart, super playful and active, and not terribly loud. (And on my personal list for a bird buddyšŸ˜)

OP
Zoruace

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
So, just throwing my two centsā€™ worth inā€¦but how about a kakariki? Small, smart, super playful and active, and not terribly loud. (And on my personal list for a bird buddyšŸ˜)
I honestly never looked into kakarikis!

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
Have you thought about sticking to conures? I know they can be a bit vocal. They are hyper, playful, can be sweet, and snuggly... they have all of the traits of a larger parrot in a smaller body.

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
I own a Jenday. I am not sure if there's a difference in male, or female conures. If there's a difference in the types. She is cuddly on her terms. I wouldn't consider her clingy. She could do without human attention as long as she has her chewing toys. She is a chain saw on legs.

OP
Zoruace

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
Iā€™ve done a but of research and read they canā€™t withstand heat well and here is EXTREMELY hot especially if i want to take it out in a travel cage/ harness

OP
Zoruace

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
Have you thought about sticking to conures? I know they can be a bit vocal. They are hyper, playful, can be sweet, and snuggly... they have all of the traits of a larger parrot in a smaller body.
I own a Jenday. I am not sure if there's a difference in male, or female conures. If there's a difference in the types. She is cuddly on her terms. I wouldn't consider her clingy. She could do without human attention as long as she has her chewing toys. She is a chain saw on legs.
I hear jendays are very similar to suns is it true?
I would love another conure especially a sun or jenday (if they are similar that is) But I really would love one of those larger conures like blue headed Patagonian mitred or a Nanday (I love their colors!) I honestly would just go for the conure that chooses me but I also really want a whiteface Tiel as well!
Why is it always so hard to choose?

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
I would love another conure especially a sun or jenday (if they are similar that is) But I really would love one of those larger conures like blue headed Patagonian mitred or a Nanday (I love their colors!) I honestly would just go for the conure that chooses me but I also really want a whiteface Tiel as well!
I have only owned budgies(past and present), a cockatiel(currently), eclectus, and a senegal. I can't remember much about what it's like to own a sennie or eclectus, all I remember is that sennies have painful bites and ekkies are super noisy.

OP
Zoruace

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
I have only owned budgies(past and present), a cockatiel(currently), eclectus, and a senegal. I can't remember much about what it's like to own a sennie or eclectus, all I remember is that sennies have painful bites and ekkies are super noisy.
Ekkies is a no way
I canā€™t understand their diet at all
I would love a sennie but alot of people here recommend otherwise
Whatā€™s your thought on budgies?

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Whatā€™s your thought on budgies?
Some budgies are really loving, my Grumpy was completely untame when I got him and breeder said it'll stay that way but despite all odds I tamed him in 2 weeks to the point where he likes head scratches! Snowy is.. tame, but she doesn't want to interact 24/7 with me. Sunny is kinda tame but I think I'm doing something wrong as she still doesn't like me... maybe it's because I sometimes hold her to help preen her pin feathers because the flock doesn't want to do it :( Jeff was slightly tame but when I went on vacation in march he doesn't care about me anymore. John too. Griffen was a bit tame when we got him but when I put him with the flock he stopped trusting me and my brother and everyone else lol.

As for care, the most expensive part is vet care to be honest. Food is a bit expensive, but since I make "dry mixes" it actually saves a lot of money! But some budgies don't like it. I had no issue getting my budgies to eat pellets or veggies(at first they didn't like it but Joyn did so when they saw him eat it they did too!). So some budgies will love you and others won't care about you, so you need to be willing to care for a bird that won't love you back.

Diet should consist of 1/3-1/2 dry food, and 1/2-2/3 fresh food. Dry food should contain about half seed and half grains, nuts, etc and(optional) flowers, herbs and spices. Pellets aren't necessary, if your bird eats only millet/sunflower and refused to eat dry mix or other healthy food you may want to consider pellets, TOP's and Harrisons are the healthiest(TOP's being the best).Fresh food should be veggies(majority), fruits, herbs, etc.

I recommend majority fresh stuff is possible, otherwise 50/50. I've seen the impact it has on my birds, and even the nanny said my birds look so much happier, after I switched their diet to mostly veg.

Budgies like having a large cage so that they can fly around, since you're in school you should try getting a larger cage. Minimum I recommend for 1-2 budgies is 40x40x60cm wide or 45x45x75 is better, if you can get bigger definitely do.

My budgies enjoy softer toys like crinkle paper/ raffia, mahogany, paper, finger traps, balsa etc.

Budgies like to and need to bathe at least once or twice a week, some budgies bath in the water bowl, se like spray bottle, some like leafy greens(Snowy used to love it), just find out what they like.

You may want to get two since you can't give them attention all day. Some budgies can manage alone but they'll need 4 hours of attention each day minimum.

So yeah, that's all I can think of right now regarding care and personality :)

Rival_of_the_Rickeybird

2x Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Jul 31, 2016
Ohio
Parrots
None. My wife has one too many. Kidding!
Hey, how about a rare Patagonian Conure, great voice, wonderful disposition, only 37 years old, established career in Youtube. I'll wrap him up and send him to you by Overnight!

Okay, I'll bust myself before anybody else has to. That's my wife's bird. We have to keep him.

Can't blame a guy for trying, right?

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
The Jenday, and Sun's are pretty much the same except their coloration. The larger conures are harder to come by here. If you get one I'm curious on the personality differences. I've only been around Sun's, and Jenday's. I've read on here that the green cheeks are a lot more quiet, and calm.

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Late to the party!

I meant to answer sooner but forgot!
Since I own some of the species you listed I thought I'd chime in.
I'll start with budgies, as they are a wonderful choice and so full of charm and personality. They can be skittish but if you work with them enough it can be helped. Only one out of my four budgies is what I would call somewhat skittish but she was also mishandled at a young age. They are very curious about what your doing, but they do like to have some time with the other birds, I'd still recommend getting two.
I know you said no Gcc but maybe think about it some more? My Gcc is SO playful, but he does like to play by himself too, he knows how to entertain himself. He has lots of energy but does calm down and wants to cuddle or just chill on my shoulder for awhile. I will say though, he has SUCH mood swings sometimes that happen sooo quickly, I know all parrots have mood swings usually but I feel like his can be pretty extreme, but since they happen so fast they also end fast.
Then Quakers, they have such attitudes! When my Quaker flies up on the medicine cabinet which he knows he's not supposed to do, I lift my hand up there and wait for him to step up and he just stands there chewing on the wood saying 'Step up!' 'Step up Tony!' Quakers aren't for everyone, they need a very patient and determined owner!
And then of course cockatiels! But you already know about them.
As for all the other species I don't own but I hope you figure out which one you want! :giggle:

Most Reactions