What Bird?

MiniMacaws10

May 14, 2018
Hi there. I joined this forum because I am going to be getting my own little guy pretty soon! I have been surrounded by birds all my life. My good friend owned a sun, my aunt has 'tiels, and my family had a budgie years back. I also have visited bird expos and interacted and learned about birds like greys and macaws. After loving birds for so long, I decided to finally get one of my own. However, for months, I have had just no idea what species to get! They all have such different qualities, negative and positive! So I thought I would list what I want in a bird, and the experienced owners can point me in the right direction.

- I am looking for a bird on the quiet side (I am willing to put in training for a conure to make them a little less noisy.)

- I'm looking for a bird that's friendly and playful, but isn't to rowdy, and wouldn't mind just chilling on my shoulder.

- I'm looking for a bird around the size of a golden or blue headed conure

- It's really important to me that the bird is a real companian

Birds I am considering:

blue crowned conure

Pionus parrot

green cheek conure

caique

senegal

I was briefly considering the ecluctus and african grey, but they are a little big and expensive

I know no bird has all of these things but thank you for your help in choosing my companian!

Apr 3, 2013
MD, USA
Well I think your list encompasses a lot of what many of us would desire from our parrots. Unfortunately, even those friendly parrots may go through stages in life (and throughout the year) where they are quite defensive/aggressive.

No parrot is quiet. Budgies and cockatiels have a lower volume level, but are still "noisy." Conures can be quite loud, even with training. Are you in a single family home?

Do you live with others? Your parrot may decide that another family member is his companion, even if you are the primary caregiver.

I'm not sure where you are located, but the easiest way to make this decision is to visit a rescue on a regular basis and get to know some of the birds. The differences between two birds of the same exact species can be astronomical.

It certainly is an exciting time when you decide to bring such an amazing wild animal into your life; I wish you the best of luck.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome to the forums! Take your time to thoroughly research what birds are best suited to your lifestyle.

reeb

Oct 23, 2017
Media
Albums
Cape Town, South Africa
Parrots
Berry (♀ Cockatiel) hatched June 2017
Opal (♂ Budgie) hatched 13 August 2017
Pearl (♀ Budgie) hatched 15 August 2017
+ an aviary of 16 other budgies! all hatched 2014-2017
No parrot is quiet. Budgies and cockatiels have a lower volume level, but are still "noisy." Conures can be quite loud, even with training.

SO TRUE! Honestly my budgies and cockatiel can be absolutely deafening at times, even though they are "quieter" species!

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
Get a resue :)
Not sure how they do things around your place, but here you can meet and try your rehoming-friend first.
(sometimes they will demand you take a crashcourse in parrotparenting first)

Plus: you get an adult bird who will not change much (like most toos: puberty turns them from friendly cuddly animals in scary hormonal nightmares) and usually there is a period where they will help you adjust to each other.

Not all parrots are created equally (you noticed species, but think individuals).

My CAG's for exemple: one is relatively daft, wil not shut up (whistles all day long), demands lots of attention (hands on as wel as interaction) - the other one is really smart, talks in context (goodbye only when I really leave and goodnight when it is time for bed) and chooses when to demand scratches- but loves 'just to chill' with me.
They differ in size as well.

My parrots choose me (I've been at a few intervieuws where they did not like me), but if I had to choose a smaller species I'd go for a Poicephalus senegalus or a Poicephalus meyeri.
(I met a few lovely ones, though - like all animals- they can be a disaster as well )
Most of them are relatively mellow and not extremely noisy.

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Don (psychocircus91) made some excellent points about owning a parrot.

There is no perfect bid out there -- all bids will make some noise, some worse than others, they are all messy, and many will test their boundaries on a daily basis. Some species can get particularly clingy to one person and overbond, then end up trying to attack everyone else in the family, which is not fun for anyone involved.

A very important question to ask yourself.... what is your budget? Take a look through this thread... The cost of owning parrots

I spent $400 in one month on my single cockatiel getting him a new cage and perches and toys. Not including his monthly food expenses, which is around $30 a month. The larger the species, the larger your budget should be. Remember, the costs don't stop when you purchase the bird and a cage, most birds love to chew and need toys monthly. That also doesn't include any vet care, which should be done yearly, more if you get nails and beak trimmed.

If you decide to get a weaned baby, I suggest you go through a reputable breeder - STAY AWAY from pet shops as they tend to have very overpriced birds, are usually not disease tested and will likely be more skittish than a baby from a reputable breeder.

Depending on your age (I assume you're a teenager if you still live at home), your life is beginning to change rapidly, if you have plans for college in the future, remember your commitment to your bird. I can't tell you how many times students end up rehoming their bids because they have to go away for college (and get a bird knowing this will happen) and its the bird that ends up suffering from the heartbreak of losing their caretaker and trusted friend. If you're under 21, I always suggest to wait until you have your OWN home and have settled down. I tell you this from experience -- I got a Jenday Conure when I was 13 and he was my best bud for 5 years, and then I had to leave for college. My parents were not willing to care for him, and my dorm didn't allow pets, so he got rehomed after only 5 years with me. I regret getting him so early and wish I would have waited until I was done with college and had my own home and life settled.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts