What do you feed your fids?

Ash

Nov 20, 2011
Hamilton, New Zealand
I was wondering what you all feed your fids?
How much do you usually spend of their food?

I feed my fids Vetafarm maintenance diet Pellets (costing about $25 for 350g), but im going to order some harrison pellets this week(which I just found out there is a vet selling them and will ship them to my town). It's going to cost me a lot with shipping. $20.93 (without shipping) that is just for a 1 lb/ 454g bag. Why do pellets have to be so hard to obtain here in New Zealand? :( So unfair.

They also get nuts, like almonds, walnuts, hazelnuts.

They also get a little bit of canary seeds mixed with oats.

They get corn, peas, snow peas, broccoli, beans, Cauliflower, carrot, chilli and for fruits they usually get's what's ever in season.

I spend quite a lot of my fids, my mum thinks I spend too much.

We don't have much choice of where I live. All the pet stores sells is low grade seed and kaytee rainbow(or something like that). I have to get my pellets of someone who imports it from overseas.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Well, New Zealand is an island... Well, islands!

It's a shame the pet shops there aren't anything like the ones in the United States, and also a shame that shipping can be so expensive!

Dry foods: Harrison's High Potency, Goldenfeast Australian Blend, Kaylor of Colorado Sweet Harvest Budgie

Other: Herb Salad & occasionally Volkman's Eggfood

Fresh/cooked: Sprouts, Quinoa, Ameranth, Brown Rice, Adzuki, Mung, Lentils, Carrots, Kale, Broccoli, Brussel Sprouts, Corn, Peas, Green Beans, Pumpkin, Dandelion Greens, Mustard Greens, Cucumber, Endive, Strawberries, Mango, Apple, Banana, Cherries, etc

I've spent up to $60 on fresh foods a month, and what I get each time can vary depending on what's in season.

OP
Ash

Ash

Nov 20, 2011
Hamilton, New Zealand
It is quite a shame. I think I spend way over $60 haha.
I get so jealous seeing what is available to you guys.

I also feed sprouts, Mung.

One day when I got to the states, I am so going to visit many pet stores. :p

LoveMyParrots

Dec 29, 2012
Media
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Ozzie - alexandrine parakeet
$25 for 350 grams of vetafarm! That's crazy! I feed Ozzie vetafarm paradise pellet, a 350g are only $13!

I feed my parrots:

Sprouts

Vetafarm Paradise pellet (Ozzie) and vetafarm maintenance pellet (Kiwi and Tweety)

Seeds - small parrot, oats and canary seed

Fruit - like apple, pear, peach, strawberry, cranberry, raisin, grape, mango, kiwi and blueberry (Ozzie's fav), banana, etc

Vegetable - carrots, peas, beans, cucumber, dark leafy greens, etc

Grains

Healthy table food

And of cause, treats! :p

I spend about $50-$70 per month for all of my parrots, my parents ALWAYS complain on the amount of money I spend on my pets. :rolleyes: I spend about $90-$100 per month for my parrots and my dog, my dog gets wellness super five mix dog food which cost $24 for 1.8kg bag! :eek: I don't even spend $100 every month on food for myself! :D

Birdlover11

Aug 23, 2012
Long island
Parrots
Pepsi and sprite, both are American male budgies
I feed Pepsi and sprite Lafeber's Parakeets premium diet , with chopped up apples. I'm still trying to get them to try other fruit but they are stuck on it. A small bucket of Lafeber's is 5$. My parants too, think that I'm spoiling them even though I only go every month. Sometimes I would get a toy.

OP
Ash

Ash

Nov 20, 2011
Hamilton, New Zealand
You guys are so lucky for your choices. And I know pellets cost so much : (
We can get passwell pellets but I was told to stay away from those. They are like $25 for 1kg. So I thinks ill stick with harrisons :3

I would import pellets my self but I think it might end up costing me more? With exchange rates?

NWQuakers

Jan 6, 2013
Everson, WA
Parrots
Lucky, Quaker, abt 18/male?
Previous birds: 2 Quakers, 2 budgies, Nanday conure, Indian ringneck, 2 tiels, Red Lory, 300+ finches.
Lucky pretty much only wants to eat Zupreem natural. I try mixing other pellets in to see if she'll switch, but no luck so far.

Other foods she gets are the same things we eat, only the healthy bits, not so much on the chips or coffee etc. She doesn't like much though. Very picky.

We grow most of our own food, so she gets offered all kinds of garden stuff, plus dried fruits & veg in the winter. She does love our morning smoothies though - kefir, banana, frozen berries, ground flax seed, a little protein powder - all blended up. She gobbles that down like crazy.

goalerjones

Oct 24, 2011
Parrots
Hahn's macaw, RIP George, Jenday Conure
Base small hookbill mix of walnuts, fortified pellets, almonds, dried banana, dried mango, dried pineapple, safflower seeds, dried corn, dried peas, Plain pastas, rice.

Fresh foods, blueberries, apple, orange, cauliflower, broccoli, corn, carrots, peas, sweet potato, squash.

Treats, pumpkin seeds, nutriberries, anything I happen to be eating with the exception of the birdy no-no's...(chocolate, avacado etc).

SparkkiSparkS

Nov 14, 2011
SC
Parrots
2 Plum Heads. Indian Ringneck. Hahns Macaw <3
I buy the 5lb (2.27kg) bag of Harrison's pellets for about $35 and it last for a while as the main part of the diet. I also feed lots of fruits and veggies. My plum head, Letta will eat about anything you give her. She loves red bell peppers, broccoli, grapes, blue berries, carrots, melons, spinach, bananas, sweet potatos, ect. My IRN on the other hand was on a almost all seed diet so Im working on getting her to eat the Harrison's pellets which is not so easy but she will eat alot of the same fruits and veggies Letta will eat. I give them the occasional avi-cakes, nutriberries or other treat aswell. Oh and every parrot I've ever had LOVES a piece of spray millet! They love to hang and pick at it, and its fun to watch too!

OP
Ash

Ash

Nov 20, 2011
Hamilton, New Zealand
I looked at the person who imports harrion's pellets here and it costs about $92.56 without shipping for the 5lb pack :(

So I orded some of mysafebird store. It costs like $70 with shipping. It's still cheaper so im happy :)

wwendy104

Dec 30, 2012
Fort Wayne, IN
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw
African Grey
Conure
We feed Zupreem to all three and that runs about 50$ a month give or take I switch it up on flavors but they prefer the fruit ones, a large parrot sead mix, dried fruit (banana chips, raisins, cranberries papaya, pinapple), fresh fruits (grapes, watermelon, bananas and what ever else is in season), a variety of nuts, veggies like carrots, califlower, and peas, and last but not least what ever we happen to be eating that night for dinner
:D

Waddles my B&G and Sally the conure eat about anything and love pizza but my Grey Kiwi is picky she is a pellet and seed lover but people food doesn't interest her!

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Sorry i didn't read all of the responses. Variety is what is important.Birds are very good at eating what they need to eat, you just need to supply it.

Most Reactions