What Do Your Birds Eat (Be Honest!)

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
Bumble will likely eat acorn squash cooked ,too. I take a slice, cover with clear wrap, zap if like a potato , and let it cool a bit. Serve with the seeds and all.

Oooh yum! I love acorn squash, so things we can share are the best. Especially since one squash would be a lifetime Bumble supply!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Itzjbean - how do you prep the sweet potato? Do you cook it before hand?

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots

I boiled it (I don't have a microwave) and then mashed it up with my potato masher.

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Sorry,eyes playing tricks in me with the screen names. thanks inger! Do you freeze it this way?

OP
Teddscau

Teddscau

Sep 25, 2015
Media
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Budgies: Sunshine, Blanco, Azure; Peach-faced lovebirds: Rosie and Jaybird; YSA: Jasper (♀)
Before I found out my budgies were allergic to sweet potato, I used to give them raw (organic) sweet potato to shred. The girls loved shredding that stuff. For eating purposes, you have to bake it in order for them to access all the nutrients (vitamin E, choline, vitamin A...), since it's high in starch. Hey, Inger, you gonna try giving Bumble what she'd eat in the wild? Go buy her a prickly pear, put on some gloves (they have tiny little prickles that get stuck in your skin), peal it, then serve it to her in your bathtub. It looked like the scene of a murder when I gave some to Noah, so no more for him! He managed to fling the juice more than 4 feet away!

Oh, on a good note, the kids are eating their chop now. Oh, and Inger, go on Things for Wings and check out the mashes by Avian Organics. My guys love those mashes, and if you buy a bag of each, you could look at the amount of each ingredient and recreate it for Bumble. Then again, every single ingredient in those mashes is organic, and you'd have a heck of a time finding only organic ingredients...

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Sorry,eyes playing tricks in me with the screen names. thanks inger! Do you freeze it this way?

I did yesterday, but it's my first time trying it. I'll keep you posted [emoji3]

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Before I found out my budgies were allergic to sweet potato, I used to give them raw (organic) sweet potato to shred. The girls loved shredding that stuff. For eating purposes, you have to bake it in order for them to access all the nutrients (vitamin E, choline, vitamin A...), since it's high in starch. Hey, Inger, you gonna try giving Bumble what she'd eat in the wild? Go buy her a prickly pear, put on some gloves (they have tiny little prickles that get stuck in your skin), peal it, then serve it to her in your bathtub. It looked like the scene of a murder when I gave some to Noah, so no more for him! He managed to fling the juice more than 4 feet away!

Oh, on a good note, the kids are eating their chop now. Oh, and Inger, go on Things for Wings and check out the mashes by Avian Organics. My guys love those mashes, and if you buy a bag of each, you could look at the amount of each ingredient and recreate it for Bumble. Then again, every single ingredient in those mashes is organic, and you'd have a heck of a time finding only organic ingredients...

MAYBE on the prickly pear. She looked a little like a serial killer after the blackberry haha! And I looked at Things for Wings but shipping to the US is $$$$$$.

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels

I only peeled it and chopped it up in the food processor, but next time I use sweet potatoes I will for sure boil it first and then mash it up and throw it in to be mixed and frozen. Yum!

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Mine get a treat cup with veggies of some sort. About three grapes, and about three mandarin orange slices for the ones who like citrus, and some small portion of some kind of either rice, pasta, beans, or potato. (Leftovers from what ever we had for dinner the night before, saved for birdie's breakfast. Nuked for 15 seconds. I don't cook for them per se. I cook for all of us.)

For their main food bowls, they get a mix of Zupreme, a sprinkling of seed mix, a sprinkling of shelled peanuts, an assortment of mixed nuts, and 3 to 6 nutriberries, depending on the bird.

Plus one or two bowls of fresh water, depending on the bird.

They eat good!

LilyLaneFarmer

Apr 20, 2017
Am getting ready for my Indian Ringneck to arrive home on Monday. Getting cage and all feeding supplies ready. May I ask what is "chop"?

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
OP
Teddscau

Teddscau

Sep 25, 2015
Media
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Budgies: Sunshine, Blanco, Azure; Peach-faced lovebirds: Rosie and Jaybird; YSA: Jasper (♀)

MAYBE on the prickly pear. She looked a little like a serial killer after the blackberry haha! And I looked at Things for Wings but shipping to the US is $$$$$$.

Yeah, now you know what it feels like you cheap American! Kidding. But seriously, Canadians have to pay a LOT for shipping. And handling. And customs. Sometimes they'll throw in some tariffs. Honestly, shipping accounts for 10–30% of what I spend on things for my birds. It isn't fair! And America has all the good stuff. Look up "veggie burger" on Amazon.ca. Enjoy Amazon.ca's stupid prices! Oh my gosh, I hate Canadian Amazon!

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Yeah, now you know what it feels like you cheap American! Kidding. But seriously, Canadians have to pay a LOT for shipping. And handling. And customs. Sometimes they'll throw in some tariffs. Honestly, shipping accounts for 10–30% of what I spend on things for my birds. It isn't fair! And America has all the good stuff. Look up "veggie burger" on Amazon.ca. Enjoy Amazon.ca's stupid prices! Oh my gosh, I hate Canadian Amazon!

Fair enough! Haha! But you have that hottie Justin Trudeau, and we...uh...don't. [emoji23][emoji23]

OP
Teddscau

Teddscau

Sep 25, 2015
Media
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Hey now, Trump's plenty photogenic. Look at all those photos with his...hair...and, um...face?

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Hey now, Trump's plenty photogenic. Look at all those photos with his...hair...and, um...face?

I'd rather NOT. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Most Reactions

Latest posts