What is going on with my parrot, and how to help?

Jae310

Jun 17, 2021
Hi, I just joined because I need some advice from people that really have experience with their behavior. My Amazon parrot, Snuggles, has bonded with me and not my mother or grandmother. Which I was wasn't expecting, but was very happy about. The parrot adoption center we got her at, said she was going through puberty, so that's why she bites and all that. However, I thought parrots go through puberty at a way younger age? I'm probably wrong in thinking that. In the last few days she has bitten my neck, bitten my moms nose (really hard), and attacked my grandmother multiple times. I just want to make my parrot happy, we've had many parrots which have been very easy. I like a challenge though and I'll do anything to stop her from attacking us and make it so she can live with my parents happily.

Last edited:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome to Amazon world! Can you share a few basics to help us better understand and share helpful advice? How old is Snuggles, is age verified by breeder or estimated? How long has she been in your home?

Snuggles will be a handful if entering puberty. Prime consideration at the moment is everyone's safety. Don't give her shoulder privileges or let her near faces or other sensitive areas. You don't want nor need expensive plastic surgery from that powerful beak.

Parrots generally choose their close bonds though you can work to socialize them with variety of people. A few helpful techniques: http://www.parrotforums.com/general-parrot-information/49144-tips-bonding-building-trust.html
http://www.parrotforums.com/training/63988-bite-pressure-training.html
http://www.parrotforums.com/training/60435-clicker-target-training.html

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Be aware that not all first mating seasons are the worst. Our lil Amazon Salty had a very mild puberty, hardly any noticeable changes, not even his second or third mating seasons were terrible, and the POW, his last 2 were like jekyl/hyde stuff. Just remember - this too shall pass. The trick is to not let bad behavior or your reaction to bad behavior become permanent, or his reaction to your reaction, become permanent.

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
Hi, I just joined because I need some advice from people that really have experience with their behavior. My Amazon parrot, Snuggles, has bonded with me and not my mother or grandmother. Which I was wasn't expecting, but was very happy about. The parrot adoption center we got her at, said she was going through puberty, so that's why she bites and all that. However, I thought parrots go through puberty at a way younger age? I'm probably wrong in thinking that. In the last few days she has bitten my neck, bitten my moms nose (really hard), and attacked my grandmother multiple times. I just want to make my parrot happy, we've had many parrots which have been very easy. I like a challenge though and I'll do anything to stop her from attacking us and make it so she can live with my parents happily.

How long have you had this bird, and how old is she? (You mention that you thought parrots had puberty at a "way younger age."?) Depending on the age, she could indeed be already past puberty but instead "hormonal." Also, how long have you had her? (There is a time period for birds to get used to their new home and new people.)

OP
J

Jae310

Jun 17, 2021

How long have you had this bird, and how old is she? (You mention that you thought parrots had puberty at a "way younger age."?) Depending on the age, she could indeed be already past puberty but instead "hormonal." Also, how long have you had her? (There is a time period for birds to get used to their new home and new people.)

Hi! Thank you all for the replies! I should have mentioned the age, I totally blanked! Snuggles is 13 years old, and she is verified by a breeder and even has a chip. We have had her for more than a year now.

One other thing I'd like to mention is she was dropped off at the adoption place we got her at by her previous owners, just left outside in this tiny cage. with all the info on this piece of paper. (I filed away the adoption papers, but we still have them. Just in case we need to take her in for anything to our local avian vet.)

She's full of personality I can say that!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
If this agency told you she is going into puberty, they are pretty questionable. At 13 YRS old, she is well past that. What she is, is going thru the mating season, with all the resulting behavior that entails. You can't prevent it, but you can lessen some of the effects.

No touching anywhere except head and neck. No!!
No soft warm mushy foods
No dark or shady hidey holes
No access to anything that resembles nesting materials
12 hrs nice quiet dark sleep. Some folks use a cycle that closely follows natural sun up and down.
Lots of exercise and activities

Remember , this too shall pass.

Know thy bird!! Read and reread the Amazon body language thread on the Amazon sub forum.

Most Reactions

Latest posts