What is normal 'chatter'

Saash

Jan 13, 2021
Durban, South Africa
Parrots
Eclectus
So here's a story -

Since I go my baby, she makes 'puppy' noises.

Now that she's growing and getting a LOT more vocal, her 'puppy' sounds are even more prominent. There's normal eccie chatter too but are the puppy cries common?

Baby Pickles birth history:
Bird baby was born to a dad who owned a male pet bird, when he became a family man his pet started plucking, the solution, eventually, was a girlfriend. The girlfriend was feisty and unfriendly so they were popped into an aviary- all conditions being perfect, babies followed. The daddy is NOT a breeder, babies were the side spin of what was a recommended solution for unhappy pets.

That's the short side of the birth history . ... here's the spinner - the 'mom' breeds dogs. Pickles was born into a 'kennel'.

Bird baby siblings have been reported making puppy noises and there's a debate on - are the puppy noises a normal noise for the species, or have the babies picked it up from the kennels?

Ellie777Australia

Apr 12, 2019
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
SI Eclectus Female, Ellie; RS/SI Eclectus Male, Bertie (both adopted as rescue/re-home)
So here's a story -

Since I go my baby, she makes 'puppy' noises.

Now that she's growing and getting a LOT more vocal, her 'puppy' sounds are even more prominent. There's normal eccie chatter too but are the puppy cries common?

Baby Pickles birth history:
Bird baby was born to a dad who owned a male pet bird, when he became a family man his pet started plucking, the solution, eventually, was a girlfriend. The girlfriend was feisty and unfriendly so they were popped into an aviary- all conditions being perfect, babies followed. The daddy is NOT a breeder, babies were the side spin of what was a recommended solution for unhappy pets.

That's the short side of the birth history . ... here's the spinner - the 'mom' breeds dogs. Pickles was born into a 'kennel'.

Bird baby siblings have been reported making puppy noises and there's a debate on - are the puppy noises a normal noise for the species, or have the babies picked it up from the kennels?

LOL...early 'imprinting' :D and a clever little girl sounding like a puppy. So, Pickles begins her 'chatter' repertoire. Ellie is so clever that she actually whines like our chocolate lab, knowing full well that the 'whine' will get immediate attention :D. She also imitates the local frogs and has everyone looking around to see where a frog could possibly be in the middle of the shopping district of town.

ALRAINBOW

Mar 27, 2020
mine make many odd sounds but are now picking up others . they mudder , laugh , do a call of the wald sound like in movies . but now police car sounds , baby cries . my home office is there side of my loft so tv , music me on the phone all day . they dont like noise and let me know by screaming back .

Iyanden

Feb 9, 2021
Bay area
Parrots
Female eclectus (Celeste, ~3 yrs old)
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMVWvA66tyw"]Celeste talking - YouTube[/ame]

Are any of these sounds normal? :D

Ira7

Banned
Banned
Feb 9, 2020
Coral Springs, FL
Parrots
YNA
When birds chatter ridiculous things, even low and unintelligible...not speaking but just muttering and mumbling...

I always consider that the sign of a healthy and contented bird.

Alembic772

May 13, 2020
Spring Hill, FL
Parrots
Basil - 22yr male SI Eclectus
River - male GCC
Nemo - female BCC - handicapped
Summer - female pineapple gcc
Rainbow - male yellow side gcc
Lando - male black headed caique
Paprika - female SI eclectu
When birds chatter ridiculous things, even low and unintelligible...not speaking but just muttering and mumbling...

I always consider that the sign of a healthy and contented bird.

Is it healthy when the mutter at you when you walk past them? Any time I walk past Paprika in her cage she mumbles something...

Basil is a very quiet bird. He talks and whistles when he is alone or thinks he is alone. And he clucks at night when he wants there to be quiet so he can rest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

katie_fleming

Oct 30, 2012
Montreal, Canada
Parrots
Jasper (6yr old Solomon Island Eclectus Parrot)
I love when Jasper chatters and makes little noises. Especially early in the morning when he's being very quiet. It's so cute :D

Most Reactions

Latest posts