What is the most rehomed bird in your area?

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
EXACTLY! They just had a huge fiasco with Greyhaven exotic rescue a few years back here in Canada. The property was sold and they had 3 months to clear out all the birds :(
My friend with the rescue took in at least 100 birds when that happened. Not all at once except for the first ones they sent, after that it was Macaws and Cockatoos they sent her.

Vampiric_Conure

May 16, 2022
Media
Albums
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Parrots
Charlie (M) - 23 yrs - Peach Front Conure
Redshift (M)-22yrs - normal Cockatiel
Moon (M) - 2 ys - wf pied cockatiel
Chara (F)- 1 yr - wf pied cockatiel
My friend with the rescue took in at least 100 birds when that happened. Not all at once except for the first ones they sent, after that it was Macaws and Cockatoos they sent her.
Yowza :( That's a LOT of birds!

OP
π•Ύπ–™π–”π–—π–’π–žπ•»π–Žπ–ˆπ–†
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie

Talaya

Apr 26, 2022
Media
Parrots
Han Solo - SI Male Eclectus
The big problem with places like this rescue @Talaya mentioned is that once the owner of the property passes away (and we all pass away), unless he is fortunate enough to leave a sizeable chunk of $$$ in his will, all these rescued, but not rehomed, parrots are going to suffer, a lot. Sounds like he has an adequate facility for flocks this size, but who cares for them once he is gone?
You’re right, I hadn’t thought of that. I can only hope he saves some of the monies coming in for their future.

thebenjie

Sep 9, 2014
Southern California
Parrots
Benjie & Cherub

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
This is an old thread, but...

On Craigslist, I see some caiques (looks like a breeder) and a derbyan parakeet. That's it.
I'm surprised, usually there are a lot of budgies being rehomed.

On Petfinder there are 5 budgies, 2 sun conures, and a cockatoo.

So, actually not that many birds! And none of them appear to be in horrible situations. I'm honestly really happy about that.

I'm in the Indianapolis area btw

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Craigslist here in the upper Midwest US has budgies and cockatiels the most. Also finches and lovebirds.

There will be few birds listed for months and months and suddenly β€œbirds coming out your ears” including big birds like greys, cockatoos, macaws. But usually just budgies (parakeets) and cockatiels.

Many of the larger birds advertised on CL are obviously scams.

Rozalka

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
This is an old thread, but...

On Craigslist, I see some caiques (looks like a breeder) and a derbyan parakeet. That's it.
I'm surprised, usually there are a lot of budgies being rehomed.

On Petfinder there are 5 budgies, 2 sun conures, and a cockatoo.

So, actually not that many birds! And none of them appear to be in horrible situations. I'm honestly really happy about that.

I'm in the Indianapolis area btw
I thought that I was reading Tiki's Zourace's post until I read "I'm in the Indianapolis area" 🀣

Your new avatar confused me. I was too much attached to your Jasper pfpπŸ˜†

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
I live in Colorado, i use to work in a bird shop that also took in surrendered. Amazons seemed to be our more surrendered and unadopted next to budgies. Though when I volunteered at a proper avian rescue I believe their cockatoo section was the biggest, no surprise there.

Rozalka

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
I decided to visit a random Polish Facebook group just to see what kind of parrots are/were looking for new home in past one month:
- kakarikis (4 posts: one offers 3 pairs, another one idk how many and the third one is a pair rehoming, 4. is hand raised)
- quaker parrots (4 posts: 1. few; 2. two, 3. a lot, I think it's a QP breeder expert 4. breeder)
- Australian rigneck (one)
- Patagonian conures (a pair)
- crimson rosellas (a pair)

- Indian rignecks (two posts: 1. breeder 2. rehoming)
- Derbyan parakeets (
- regent parrot
- black capped caique

- eastern rosellas (few posts: 1. breeder, 2. single adaptation; others by an untrusted breeder)
- lovebirds (few posts, most made by an untrusted breeder)
- superb parrot
- green cheeked conures (2 posts: 1. breeder
2. not confirmed but they look young to me)
- Scarlet-chested parrot
- cockatiel (2 posts: 1. a single 2. untrusted breeder)
- sun conure (young too)

- Australian king parrots
- Princess parrots

The red ones are possibly young because there was a lot of them, so they probably were young birds bred by breeders or it was marked that the bird is young, so it isn't rather rehoming. No note about posts means that there was just one.

It's just a random group and it's not a reliable list

Last edited:

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur mom’s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
Budgies and cockatiels are neck and neck here. Usually parents buying them for their kids to keep them entertained and the kid gets bored of them. IMO it’s just bad parenting. The other case is elderly people get young cockatiels and the cockatiels either outlive them, or they decide β€œhey I don’t want to stay in Alaska anymore, so, sorry birdy! Cant keep ya anymore! Cya! Would wanna be YA!” Like a year or two later. But people often just decide β€œI don’t want you anymore.” It’s really sad.

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
I look an Craigslist a lot and for some reason torture myself by looking at the birds.
There’s a few breeders on there, but I think cockatiels and budgies seem to be the most rehomed.
I see lots of green cheeks too, and lately, macaws.

There’s an ad up for one of my dream species, a Superb parrot. He’s in a teeny cage, their asking $200 but I can’t risk it 😞

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I was so worried I'd accidentally delete it, luckily nothing happened!

For those of you who don't know the abbreviations..

EC= Eastern Cape
WC= Western Cape
GP= Gauteng Province
KZN= KwaZulu-Natal
MP= Mpumalanga Province
NW= North West
LP=Limpopo Province

Plus some others I didn't mention:
NC= North Cape
FS= Free State
I don't even know what country this is.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Budgies and cockatiels are neck and neck here. Usually parents buying them for their kids to keep them entertained and the kid gets bored of them. IMO it’s just bad parenting. The other case is elderly people get young cockatiels and the cockatiels either outlive them, or they decide β€œhey I don’t want to stay in Alaska anymore, so, sorry birdy! Cant keep ya anymore! Cya! Would wanna be YA!” Like a year or two later. But people often just decide β€œI don’t want you anymore.” It’s really sad.
Our bird rescue here in Southern Maine, Seymour's, often doesn't have budgies available for adoption or at least doesn't have the gender you are looking for. They seem to have mostly bigger parrots many of which are life-long residents and not adoptable due to physical or psychological disabilities.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)

I agree that elderly people have a higher likelihood of passing and leaving their birds, but I would guess that late teens/early twenties rehome a lot more birds than elderly people do. Their lives are completely changing and too many times they have to rehome because they have no one to keep them while they're at college.

It is a sad situation all around:(

Most Reactions