What is the most rehomed bird in your area?

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
I agree that elderly people have a higher likelihood of passing and leaving their birds, but I would guess that late teens/early twenties rehome a lot more birds than elderly people do. Their lives are completely changing and too many times they have to rehome because they have no one to keep them while they're at college.

It is a sad situation all around:(
Yeah, my heart always breaks when I see these situations. Especially since that was the situation I got my little old men (budgies) from. The girl caring for them (5th or 6th owner I think), neglected them for at least a few months due to college. Which, yeah I get but I think itā€™s a bad idea to get birds if you donā€™t have future plans for college.

For Ricoā€™s and Secretā€™s sake (my dog), I have to stay here until Iā€™m about 26. Vet school is long and grueling. You need 7 years on average to become a vet. if that doesnā€™t pan out, I have several plans and apartments in mind.

Which is why I think you HAVE to think about every possibility and have several plans, options, and ideas in mind if something goes wrong or if things get hairy, so you donā€™t have to give up your companion. To anyone younger reading this and you donā€™t have backup plans for your future, PLEASE make them! Because you will never know when it will save you or your bird and you never know when something will go wrong.

And if you are older and have birds, make sure you have at least two people who are willing to educate themselves (or already are educated) and can take them in when you pass on. Because thereā€™s a very good chance they will outlive you. Itā€™s grim but it is often the truth.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Yeah, my heart always breaks when I see these situations. Especially since that was the situation I got my little old men (budgies) from. The girl caring for them (5th or 6th owner I think), neglected them for at least a few months due to college. Which, yeah I get but I think itā€™s a bad idea to get birds if you donā€™t have future plans for college.

For Ricoā€™s and Secretā€™s sake (my dog), I have to stay here until Iā€™m about 26. Vet school is long and grueling. You need 7 years on average to become a vet. if that doesnā€™t pan out, I have several plans and apartments in mind.

I'm glad you have a plan, it's a good idea for everyone.
Which is why I think you HAVE to think about every possibility and have several plans, options, and ideas in mind if something goes wrong or if things get hairy, so you donā€™t have to give up your companion. To anyone younger reading this and you donā€™t have backup plans for your future, PLEASE make them! Because you will never know when it will save you or your bird and you never know when something will go wrong.

And if you are older and have birds, make sure you have at least two people who are willing to educate themselves (or already are educated) and can take them in when you pass on. Because thereā€™s a very good chance they will outlive you. Itā€™s grim but it is often the truth.

Excellent advice here!

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
How old is "older"? Doesn't it depend on the type of bird and it's age?
Well, yes I forgot to mention that. Depending on the species, your age will vary for writing your bird in your will. If you are, say 50 years old with a cockatoo, African gray, Amazon, or macaw, then itā€™s best to have at least two people who can take your bird(s).

If you are 60 or 65, and have a conure, some shorter lived amazons, older birds, etc. generally birds who have around 20-30 years of life, should be put in the will.

If youā€™re 70+ put ANY bird you have in the will to people who can take care of it/them. Because at 70, you donā€™t have a lot of time left, because sadly, people donā€™t often live 100+ years, because on average we live to about 80.

And PLEASE make sure you have a very in depth discussion to the few people who may end up with your bird(s). The reason why you should have at minimum, 2 people to take them in, is in case if something goes wrong with one of them and they canā€™t afford your bird, they pass on unexpectedly, or an unexpected circumstance occurs that prevents them from taking your bird in. And choose them wisely. If they have a history of violence, still use drugs, are alcoholics (having alcohol is fine but being an alcoholic does put the bird at risk), have a bunch of kids and animals, or are hoarders, do NOT let your bird stay with them. These are just a few I can name off though.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Well, yes I forgot to mention that. Depending on the species, your age will vary for writing your bird in your will. If you are, say 50 years old with a cockatoo, African gray, Amazon, or macaw, then itā€™s best to have at least two people who can take your bird(s).

If you are 60 or 65, and have a conure, some shorter lived amazons, older birds, etc. generally birds who have around 20-30 years of life, should be put in the will.

If youā€™re 70+ put ANY bird you have in the will to people who can take care of it/them. Because at 70, you donā€™t have a lot of time left, because sadly, people donā€™t often live 100+ years, because on average we live to about 80.

And PLEASE make sure you have a very in depth discussion to the few people who may end up with your bird(s). The reason why you should have at minimum, 2 people to take them in, is in case if something goes wrong with one of them and they canā€™t afford your bird, they pass on unexpectedly, or an unexpected circumstance occurs that prevents them from taking your bird in. And choose them wisely. If they have a history of violence, still use drugs, are alcoholics (having alcohol is fine but being an alcoholic does put the bird at risk), have a bunch of kids and animals, or are hoarders, do NOT let your bird stay with them. These are just a few I can name off though.
Oh, Rico_tiel, spoken like a very young person! Reminds me of how rockstars in the 60s (when I was a baby) would announce to the world "never trust anyone over 30" or "I hope I die before I get old!", meaning 40! One's personal state of health and family history for longevity should be considered when putting an individual in an age group for purposes like this. Not all 70 years olds "don't have a lot of time left"! Some 55 year olds are in very poor overall health and likely "don't have a lot of time left". Some 25 year olds may not either.
The age of the individual bird needs to be considered, too. A 70 year old in perfect health whose parents are alive and in their 90s MUST consider what's best for the bird when adopting a very young large parrot like a cockatoo, macaw, Amazon or grey. It would probably be best for them to adopt a much older bird. But a very young budgie or 'tiel isn't likely to outlive them.
Also, just because someone with arguably less "time left" than the bird they wish to adopt does designate two responsible persons to inherit their bird, that doesn't mean the bird won't still suffer terribly when their owner and BFF passes, especially a cockatoo.

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
Oh, Rico_tiel, spoken like a very young person! Reminds me of how rockstars in the 60s (when I was a baby) would announce to the world "never trust anyone over 30" or "I hope I die before I get old!", meaning 40! One's personal state of health and family history for longevity should be considered when putting an individual in an age group for purposes like this. Not all 70 years olds "don't have a lot of time left"! Some 55 year olds are in very poor overall health and likely "don't have a lot of time left". Some 25 year olds may not either.
The age of the individual bird needs to be considered, too. A 70 year old in perfect health whose parents are alive and in their 90s MUST consider what's best for the bird when adopting a very young large parrot like a cockatoo, macaw, Amazon or grey. It would probably be best for them to adopt a much older bird. But a very young budgie or 'tiel isn't likely to outlive them.
Also, just because someone with arguably less "time left" than the bird they wish to adopt does designate two responsible persons to inherit their bird, that doesn't mean the bird won't still suffer terribly when their owner and BFF passes, especially a cockatoo.
I was speaking generally about it. People on average live to about 80, and if in this very broad and generalized scenario, they live till say, 80 or 85, and the bird doesnā€™t pass away and lives out their 50, 40, 30, 20, 10, or how many years with their human, then this scenario is possible. I wasnā€™t mentioning health conditions because it wasnā€™t supposed to be specific. This is just a scenario where someone would pass of old age.

Most Reactions