What is the strangest or most memorable thing someone has asked/said about your bird?

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur mom’s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
I don't remember what my friends said I only remember what my sister and my mom said....... well here is what they said.
Should we eat them fried, cooked or baked?-My sister
You eat tofu while I cook sky-My sister
When will they die? how much do they live? - My mom( because my mom wants to get rid of them even though she secretly baby talks them ahh we see mom that you really wanna get rid of them)
Eww, she looks ugly I hope she dies( one of my friends well ex-friends now said this to hope I was so mad when they said that I immediately went inside my room and slammed the door as hard as I could and wouldn't leave the room( i kept the door locked) only when they left)

And yeah.... that's all i can remember..... ok..... maybe i overreacted when my ex friend said that to hope maybe........... but no i didn't.
def not an overreaction. id've done the same thing and maybe beat them a bit (okay, exaggeration but friendships would be destroyed and revenge would be served)

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur mom’s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
My family has made jokes about either eating/killing my birds, my sister once said if I didn't come over there (where ever their was) she was going to break my cockatiels necks!
But boy would hell rain down if I made a joke like that about one of her dogs! I would never though because I know she loves them!
Also sorry to hear about this, sometimes people just don't realize what can hurt your feelings though I think people, especially family should be a little more sensitive than this.
WHAT THE FLUFF?! why would she say that?! if my brother said such a thing, id have kicked the snot outta him!

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur mom’s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
Well, I have few experiences :

My grandma always asks me why my budgies have a cage or tells me if she were a bird she would die of sadness living in a cage. Sometimes she watches my youngest parrot (Perlita) and tells me to give her guavas, like a wild parrot would eat. In Mexico, Amazona albifrons parrots like Perlita are known as "guava-eaters" (cotorros guayaberos). But Perlita dislikes guavas! As a joke I tell my grandma "well... you've just known a guava-eater-parrot which hates eating guavas".

During a night watch, one of my colleagues was talking about her dog; after some time she asked if I had any pets, so I told her I have 2 parrots and 2 budgies. She seemed genuinely surprised and told me parrots were very smart and she would love to have a conversation with a talking-bird.

On the other hand, I heard my sister's fiancΓ© asked my sister, while visiting my husband and I's home, why would someone would like birds as pets because "birds are dumb and boring like chickens".

When I was a child, my first parrot died. My dad helped me to bury him in the backyard. Some days later, a boy who used to ask for work (paint, sweep the street, take out garbage, buy groceries, etc.) to earn some money noticed the empty cage. He asked what had happened to the parrot and my mom said the parrot died. The boy asked where the parrot was and my mom answered it was buried. The boy said "oh, too bad... if I had come earlier my mom could have cooked it".
what? πŸ˜€
the last one is so... what>!>>!>:!Jenirghrekrnkjdsfnvckjldcdjh
no parrot is dumb. people who think they are dumb however.... thats a good intelligence indicator because they lack the ability to pick up on "small" things like that.

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur mom’s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
I took Bumble (in a harness) on a walk to Starbucks once. When we got there, I was talking to her and the barista asked me, "is it real?" No, lady, I'm a 50 year old woman talking to a stuffed bird perched on my arm.
BWAHAHAHAHCDVSVHVDUVIDIBSDBWHIDWVBIWWIVH FV DUV UHDWJH HDHVDSGV HE EGG HJBFGD B VRUOYBEIU HERNODL OMFGGGGG YOU ARE TOO FUNNY 😭

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur mom’s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
On Halloween this random kid ran up to me and yelled, "Oh my god!! Is that a real bird?"

Of course not, child. I'm wearing a pirate outfit and my stuffed bird is climbing around on me as stuffed burds often do.
ikr? its like, ugh, all stuffed birds climb around πŸ™„

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur mom’s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
Well, you could be talking to a stuffed bird...

I used to carry my Quaker in a color-matching lime-green scarf, and people would ask me, β€œis that a real bird?” No, it’s a friggin hedgehog. Good grief.
exactly. periodt.

Ronnie27

Oct 13, 2022
MΓ©xico
Parrots
Esmeralda, Perla, Arcoiris, Kiwi
what?
πŸ˜€

the last one is so... what>!>>!>:!Jenirghrekrnkjdsfnvckjldcdjh
no parrot is dumb. people who think they are dumb however.... thats a good intelligence indicator because they lack the ability to pick up on "small" things like that.
In Mexico many people are used to see green parrots in their habitat or as pets. However, there are some who like eating exotic animals: snakes, iguanas... sometimes parrots are included. This is not for socioeconomic status, but preferences. The boy was taking for granted the body of my parrot would be given to him.

Of course, psittacines are smart. Each bird is different. And as parronts we know there is no day in which our birds stop being so astounding.

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur mom’s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
In Mexico many people are used to see green parrots in their habitat or as pets. However, there are some who like eating exotic animals: snakes, iguanas... sometimes parrots are included. This is not for socioeconomic status, but preferences. The boy was taking for granted the body of my parrot would be given to him.

Of course, psittacines are smart. Each bird is different. And as parronts we know there is no day in which our birds stop being so astounding.
wow, i never knew that! TIL!

and i couldnt have said this better myself

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Some people criticize me for not clipping my birds' wings, usually older people who had birds long ago when standards were much lower for birds. Especially my grandma. She said that if I clipped my bird Jeff's wings he wouldn't have flown away. I know someone who lost her birds like 5 times and they had their wings clipped. I much rather prefer to have my birds flighted as they're much happier and healthier than they were when they were clipped.

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur mom’s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
Some people criticize me for not clipping my birds' wings, usually older people who had birds long ago when standards were much lower for birds. Especially my grandma. She said that if I clipped my bird Jeff's wings he wouldn't have flown away. I know someone who lost her birds like 5 times and they had their wings clipped. I much rather prefer to have my birds flighted as they're much happier and healthier than they were when they were clipped.
yeah, I've seen it happen in TikTok comments like "oh clip your bird mehhhh it'll fly awayyyyy" or "I clipped my parakeet kiwi, and he was happy :mad:((((" and thankfully I don't have my comments available to anyone who isn't friends on TT so I don't have to lose more braincells over their stupidity. my grandparents thankfully love seeing him fly around when they visit and they don't criticize me for my choice. and they enjoy the occasional video from my mom haha

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
whether it was during an outing with your bird or showing them pics or having them meet your bird, what is your story?

ill go first:

"why dont you set it free?" - someone on a social media platform after i posted a pic of him (this was an old follower of mine who knew where i was from as i was super open about it) so i had to explain that 1. he would freeze to death in an hour. and 2. captive bred birds cannot survive in the wild as they do not have the knowledge or capability to survive in the wild

"why is your cage so big? my grandma's cage for her parrot looks like this *insert the rustiest most god-awful round cage with a very miserable blue fronted amazon it it* and it's happy!" - a rando who stumbled onto my acc

"where are it's red cheeks?!" - my family friend.

"why dont you clip it? arent you afraid of it flying into a fan or window?" - also my family friend

"can i give it a chip?" - my best friend

and my absolute favorite

"what do you do if it poops on you?" - one of my friends
How about:
-"What's a budgie?" A lot of Americans only know budgies as parakeets.

- "Why don't you just put them all in one cage? I have eight budgies- four females and four males in five separate cages. Can you imagine the mayhem?

-"Do they recognize you?" "Do they recognize each other?"

-"How do you tell them apart?" "How can they tell each other apart?" They are all different colors.

-"Why don't you let them fly around outdoors?" Ummm, because I love them and I would never see them again.

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
The breeder telling me β€œshe is the sweetest thing. She REALLY is; I’m not just saying that”

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur mom’s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
How about:
-"What's a budgie?" A lot of Americans only know budgies as parakeets.

- "Why don't you just put them all in one cage? I have eight budgies- four females and four males in five separate cages. Can you imagine the mayhem?

-"Do they recognize you?" "Do they recognize each other?"

-"How do you tell them apart?" "How can they tell each other apart?" They are all different colors.

-"Why don't you let them fly around outdoors?" Ummm, because I love them and I would never see them again.
OMG this is hilarious! I get it, a lot of people dunno about birds but "how do you tell them apart/how can they recognize each other" is blatantly dumb. how does one ask that without getting laughed at???

Rozalka

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
I just reminded one more thing.... but I was a 10 y/o pupil then
Teacher: What kind of pet do you have?
Me: 'keets
Teacher: Are they hamsters?

I decided to translate budgie as "keets" because I didn't say correctly full Polish name... so I'm not surprised why my teacher had no idea what I meant

Another silly question reminded, but this time asked by a child - "How do you know which of them is singing right now?" I just see which one is moving their beak

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur mom’s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
I just reminded one more thing.... but I was a 10 y/o pupil then
Teacher: What kind of pet do you have?
Me: 'keets
Teacher: Are they hamsters?

I decided to translate budgie as "keets" because I didn't say correctly full Polish name... so I'm not surprised why my teacher had no idea what I meant

Another silly question reminded, but this time asked by a child - "How do you know which of them is singing right now?" I just see which one is moving their beak
I- "how do you know which one is singing?" wh-what?

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
My sister told me yesterday that she didn't think my budgies could happily go on longer hikes (like 1 hr. or so), because they're small birds and small birds are flighty and don't like human interaction as much as larger birds. What??? Just because they're small in size doesn't mean they don't like human interaction. Stormy will refuse to go to bed until I have done a training session with him, and the girlies can also be very resistant to going to bed (especially Cossie, she'd rather snuggle).

Most Reactions