What kind of Conure is this?

derekandb

Aug 24, 2011
There is a conure on craigslist in my area and I'm looking at adopting her. I think she and my little ones could be friends. She is 4 years old and she is alone way too much. There are no other birds in the household. The person doesn't know exactly what kind of conure she is though. She said she thinks she's a
'blue crested conure'. But I don't think so. She looks like a Dusky conure to me. Can anyone help me out?

3n73pd3l75Q45U25R3b91566c39645d5a165e.jpg

3m23pa3l35Y25T15W1b917386b2d40e1c114a.jpg

Auggie's Dad

Administrator
Dec 28, 2007
Media
Albums
South Hadley MA
Parrots
Auggie: Dusky Conure
Definitely a dusky.

I'm not sure how they couldn't know - it's not even remotely like a blue crested ... except for having wings and some green feathers.

OP
derekandb

derekandb

Aug 24, 2011
Lol, I'm not sure how they couldn't either. They had her for a year and got her from a couple who wouldn't return calls. The adult daughter got the bird (Pebo) for her father after his divorce and now he works too much and she sits in his room all day alone. It sounds like he was nice to her though. But they don't know much about birds. I think he just follows whatever the local pet shop owner tells him to do. I do know he puts a litter in the cage and it's a coated wire cage she's in. I hate those personally, I have all large wrought iron cages myself because they are sturdy, especially when you have other animals around, it keeps the birds safe. Anyways, I'm reseaching Dusky conures right now. But what else could you tell me about them since you have one? I appreciate it.

Auggie's Dad

Administrator
Dec 28, 2007
Media
Albums
South Hadley MA
Parrots
What do you want to know?

They may be the second loudest of the conures. They love to shred ... everything. I thought it might just be Auggie, but I've found most duskies do a lot of the same stuff.

This is *not* Auggie in this video, but if I didn't know where the video was from I could swear it was ... the video could just as well be titled "A day in the life of any dusky conure."
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Cca4QtiC4w]Lola the Crazy Conure - YouTube[/ame]

Duskies may be the most cuddly of the conures. Auggie spends most of his time climbing in and out of my shirt.

They can be quite nippy until you figure out your relationship with them. But it's worth every bandaid.

OP
derekandb

derekandb

Aug 24, 2011
Ok well, you can tell by my siggy what I already have..So I'm wondering how much more different that my pinapple GCC the Dusky is? I have read that they are little smaller than Suns, so I assume he will be a bit bigger than my GCC? Can those two reasonably get along? My cockatoo doesn't really like the other birds and that's fine. He gets to be out all the time, he makes his territory known and he likes us. So I'm not too concerned about that. Um..I read that Duskys are not very loud but you are saying the may be the second loudest. So are they louder than the GCCs? I understand the nippiness, mine is trying to eat me alive I think, but he also only does it to me, so it's a relationship thing that we are working out and I'm working on standing up for myself against him.

Auggie's Dad

Administrator
Dec 28, 2007
Media
Albums
South Hadley MA
Parrots
In my experience duskies are definitely larger than GCCs. I've often heard the idea that they are smaller than suns, and strictly speaking they probably are slightly - but only slightly. Overall I'd say suns and duskies are very similar in size.

Suns are the one conure I know to be louder than duskies. I've never had a GCC, but I've been under the impression that duskies tend to be a bit louder than GCCs, though perhaps not much.

As for getting along with other birds, every individual is different, and aside from when he was young Auggie hasn't been with other birds, but I have often seen duskies living quite happily with other birds. When he was young (<4mo or so) Auggie did share a cage with a sun, and they got along great.

Most Reactions

Latest posts