What made you choose an Eclectus?

RisingSun

Feb 6, 2013
Florida
Parrots
cockatiel - Lucy; SI eclectus - Matisse
I am sorry if this topic exists. I did a search and nothing came up.

I am wondering what made you choose an Eclectus? Or if it wasn't your choice, how did you end up with one?

I was very pragmatic in my decision to get an Ekkie. I didn't even know they existed before I started researching parrot species. I always dreamed of having a larger companion parrot. In my research I narrowed it down to a Greenwing Macaw, IRN, Eclectus, or African Grey.

My criteria was:

- least likely to be a one-person bird (able to be handled by a non-favorite human)
- med large - large
- Not super high energy or needy (able to occupy itself with toys, preening, wondering around, looking out a window, interacting with the cockatiel from a safe distance, etc; which means, as much as I LOVED them and always pictured myself getting one, Cockatoos were OUT (I don't think right now I could give a good life to a 'too) Even with my little 'tiel with her constant NEED to be scratched all day, everyday, gets a little tiresome. One time I scritched her for 40 minutes straight....I clocked it. I gave out before she did. I have been looking for a friend for her for some time now...she is very affectionate and tries to be friendly with Matisse, but he is not a "bird" bird.

Well I did end up with a very clingy Velcro boy (or maybe I made him that way with all my love haha!). But he is very good at filling his day. He goes on his wonderings and even puts himself to bed.

I like to travel for a month or longer, at a time, so it was important for me and for my parrot friend that they won't be stressed being cared for by someone else when I'm gone and not giving them the attention they would be used to.

I didn't care about looks, or ability to talk. Noise factor was a small issue, but I would be willing to deal if it were the right bird. I even bought a house prior, in preparation for a life with parrots. NO WAY I'd even chance it in a shared living setting.

Unlike others who might have been chased away by the diet needs, that is something that actually attracted me. Whether or not they required a whole foods diet, I was prepared to feed out a fresh food diet to any bird I got, or mimic their diet in the wild. I love learning about dietary needs and coming up with creative recipes. Matisse has made me eat more healthily, as his little body cannot consume all the produce I buy. Lucy the cockatiel also got a bump up in variety. She gets a mini chopped version of his diet.

Last edited:

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Hmmm... well, like you I hadn't heard of eclectus parrots. I'd shared a deep connection with an amazing cockatiel named Suzie. Poor Suzie was a dude, but he forgave me his unfortunate naming as the sales person wasn't nearly as knowledgeable about birds as he believed himself to be.

Anyhow, over the course of nearly 18 years we developed the deepest of bonds, so as you might imagine I was devastated when he developed kidney disease and wound up passing before his time. I didn't even think about getting another bird for a few years after that. Not until my wife urged me to try opening up my heart again to another.

So I started researching greys and conures... until I happened upon my neighbor's female eclectus. Wow! My jaw dropped! What a breathtaking bird! Those feathers that looked more like fine hairs than anything else! And those colors! I was mesmerized. Upon looking into them, I learned they were more than pretty plumages. Many considered their intelligence to rival that of African Greys, and they were said to be birds well-suited to families. My interest piqued, I researched relentlessly. And once I felt I was reasonably knowledgeable about them, I went out and bought my first.

I've never once regretted the choice.

Bixby. And then Maya and Jolly. Personality-wise, I've found ekkies to resemble some of the people closest to me. Quiet, pensive, intelligent and quite deliberate in their choices... with a sense of humor, a dash of goofy, and the occasional splash of crazy. Lol! Not necessarily quick to open up... you have to earn their trust and high regard... but once you do it's so very worth it. Ekkies may not tend to have the cuddle factor of some mush macs (though mine are far more fond of being petted than the species is generally known for), but they love HARD once you've found a place in their hearts.

And you can't help but love them back.

OP
RisingSun

RisingSun

Feb 6, 2013
Florida
Parrots
cockatiel - Lucy; SI eclectus - Matisse
Well said Anansi! I agree 100% with your detailed description of the personality LOL! Suzie sounded like a very special bird, and while I know 18 years was not enough time for you, it's still an amazing testament to how well suited you both were for each other. I am glad you listened to your wife and opened your heart up again, and again, and again... I feel like I am still learning how to be a better parrot companion, and once I get more confident, I hope to open my heart and home to even more feather friends in need of a flock.

Sandimarie0315

Aug 15, 2017
I have an Ekkie and she is very sweet, she is a rescue bird that chose me. I visited her every week and after several months the rescue asked me to take her home and I did. We love to cuddle and go for rides in the car and play outside, Ruby is the best

tashawithanekkie

Feb 22, 2017
Northeast Ohio, USA
Parrots
Duke, Male eclectus
It was kind of a rescue/inherit combination for us. Mister Duke belonged to my mother-in-law. When she passed, my husband's younger brother decided he wanted to keep the bird. The brother is mentally disabled, but I was told it would be okay.

As time passed and we would go to clean out MIL's things, I noticed a decline in Duke. It became clear that BIL was not able to care for Duke. All-seed diet, dirty water dishes (like black stuff above the water line.) Duke's beak grew to nearly touch his neck. Dirty cage conditions. Googling "green parrot" pointed us to the right species and I got VERY worried.

Next time I was there, Duke was out of the cage, and when my husband took his brother out for groceries, Duke landed on my shoulder. My heart still breaks a little to think how desperate this poor little birdie must have been. He barely knew me. He hated my husband. I still insisted that we bring him home with us as quickly as possible. At first it was just to get him healthy. Now he's part of the family.

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
I had mine narrowed down to an ekkie and some sort of mini/mid sized macaw (red fronted/yellow collared for example). Ekkie was in the mix for the very reasons you mention. Every bird is unique but you can stack the deck and play the genetic odds with temperament.

I wound up with an ekkie because, in truth, it was the first bird to come my way. He was sweet, talked, goes to everyone (he has an odd racist streak, the only people he has actually flown away from and refused to be held by were black people...how odd!!). He checked every box. Yes he's a plucker/barberer, but the personality is what is important. Him plus a very large cage came to all of $500. I could have easily spent triple that on a baby bird and new cage. It was a no brainer.

I admit, sometimes I wonder if I made the right choice. They really are aloof birds, not touchy feely, and that's something people who look at parrots expect. I miss the cuddles of my conure. I can't play with parkers beak or pet him, he'll protest vehemently.

But he's the bird I NEED, relatively low maintenance, self entertaining. To put into perspective, as a dog owner I'm a couch cuddler. I'm not a throw the ball around playing owner. Parker is more cat like than dog like, very eclectus like. Everything is on their time.

Oh and the slow processing time. Ugh. I ask for step up he needs to stand staring on my hand for 10 seconds before he decides if he wants to step up or move away.

Did I mention he's totally a Snorlax?

Last edited:

steveandbarb1

Mar 28, 2017
Have had parrots for 47 of my 60 years. First was a lilac crowned amazon, from back in the days they were stolen from nests (we didn't understand back in 1970 that black period ) but he was absolute darling, cool bird. Knew who like and who didn't and reacted as such. Unfortunately passed away from a cyst @10 years old. in his GI track and didn't know at the time how to get to the best avian doctors.

Cared for counsins African Gray that was intense work. (actually took care of another later and same thing)

Yellow naped amazon was next who was my side kick when I was single. Unfortunately she was overly possessive and when my wife came home from hospital with our first baby she attacked her chasing her into the bathroom. We tried various techniques to solve this including getting a citron cockatoo. Long story short- both went to good homes that were more appropriate.

Fast FF to 1998 when we first got our female eclectus at 3mos old. she was a sweety until the hormones started raging. Visitors unless they were skilled didn't handle her. She didn't want attention, she demanded it on her terms. 6 mos after we got her, Buddy found his way into our home after we went on a vacation and Ruby and Buddy "fell in love". Ruby passed away 4 mos ago :-( Buddy is doing eat. 19.5 years old, beautiful personality - loves strangers! One cool dude. Just came from vet with 100% perfect health. Doesn't chew, no chewing of feathers!, just likes watching the shore birds (live in ocean estuary) and chattering. Male eclectus are IT!!!!!! Just the right type of personality - not boring, not overbearing.

Most Reactions

Latest posts