Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
With Bella it’s the doorbell.
She can imitate just about any beep or buzz but we know if say the microwave is running.
If she makes the beep of the microwave finishing and we still hear it running……
But the doorbell can ring at any moment.
She has had us checking the front door many times.

The Twins.
they imitate each other but that doesn’t matter much.
but…..
Merlin imitates Bingo’s scream.
If I leave the living room for too long and there is screaming.
I really can’t tell who was doing it.

Avery has a few. He does a knock on the door sound, without actually banging on anything. Sometimes it's so spot on that the dogs get barking and running to the door. He also has learned my older son's laugh, and chimes in with it whenever he hears something funny, and always before any of us start laughing. We have to check if our son is nearby or it's the bird. Baxter usually chimes in with her full on woman's belly laugh. 🤣

Avery and Tucker both have learned the neighbor's dog bark, and it sounds exactly like them barking from outside, through closed windows. We haven't heard it in a while, but Tucker must have lived near someone with a foreign car. Imagine a Volkswagen bug horn beeping. He's fooled us several times that made us look out the window to see if someone was in the driveway beeping. 🙄

Avery has a few. He does a knock on the door sound, without actually banging on anything. Sometimes it's so spot on that the dogs get barking and running to the door. He also has learned my older son's laugh, and chimes in with it whenever he hears something funny, and always before any of us start laughing. We have to check if our son is nearby or it's the bird. Baxter usually chimes in with her full on woman's belly laugh. 🤣

Avery and Tucker both have learned the neighbor's dog bark, and it sounds exactly like them barking from outside, through closed windows. We haven't heard it in a while, but Tucker must have lived near someone with a foreign car. Imagine a Volkswagen bug horn beeping. He's fooled us several times that made us look out the window to see if someone was in the driveway beeping. 🙄
The dog thing Bella does.
She imitates the next door dog but muffled just the way she hears it.
She does the outdoor birds too but just twitters and cheeps not the ravens thank God.

Birds are so funny with what sounds they choose to imitate 😅. My youngest niece was fussy and cried a lot when she was an infant until her parents figured out that she needed some dietary changes. They are at our house every week and JJ started imitating the sound of a baby crying! Several times, I thought he was the baby and vice Versa 😂

I'm sad to say that none of my birds really imitate anything except each other :(

Birdie (jenday) is her own bird, she came to me as a rescue preprogrammed with 7 vocalizations that she uses depending on her mood and hasn't learned a single new one in the last 10 yrs. There's her "LET ME OUT, DAMN IT" incessant screaming, there's the "OH MY GOD WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE THE LAWN MOWER IS RUNNING OUTSIDE AND I CAN SEE IT!" alarm, there's the "I'm making trouble and everyone needs to know how happy I am about it" chirp, there's the pointed look and then the "I know you hate this sound so I'm going to make eye contact before I do it" shrill noise, and then there's the 3 cute whistles she does specifically to talk to people, one of which sounds a bit like she heard someone wolf whistle and never quite figured out how to imitate it and then it just became its own thing. Aside from the not-wolf-whistle, there's no evidence that she's ever bothered to try to imitate a single thing in her life.

Elby the lovebird makes typical lovebird chattering, but seems to also try to copy the not-quite-wolf-whistle occasionally. Her heart's not in it though, it doesn't sound that similar.

Kiwi the GCC, my newest addition, does imitate, but only other birds. Sometimes he almost manages to make me think that he's Birdie by doing her noises. He may grow up to be a talker, because sometimes when I'm calling out to them from other rooms I can hear him call back, "Birdie!" He's confused, but you know, he's got the general idea. Once he figures out how to enunciate it's all over.

I love the birds at the shelter who imitate technology--especially older birds who imitate ringtones no one has heard in a decade. I just love it so much.

Our Julio (DYHA) lives in the really World and other than duplicating Canada Geese, he really doesn't have other 'calls' or 'sounds'. Well, he does have a call to the glory of the Sun Rise and a like Good night as the Sunsets.

Well, there is one which he uses to call my dear wife with a: I Love You! Which, never fails to get a response from her.

The Rickeybird is not a great mimic, and his voice is a classic parrot-y croak, BUTTTTT...
In the last year since we moved to a condo and he has a window on the front street where Amazon deliver trucks are common, he has learned to do hat "back-up" BEEP that the trucks make, and he is GOOD! Fools us all the time... we think we are getting a package, and then... nope.

Another thing Bella fools me with.
the master bathroom door squeaks.
It one of the ways I know (use to know) when my wife gets up.
Bella imitates so perfectly and from close by I truly can’t tell.
Is it real or is it Memorex (Bella) .

Thank you!
If you ever meet us, I'll try to get you a good sniff under his wings, where the chocolate-bar-wrapper smell is strongest. Might cost you a nose, of course.
got your nose.jpg

Back in the day I had an analog phone and both my Greys could imitate it perfectly. I’m sure they started doing it because it was in the environment, but then became experts when they realized could get me to come running. They very soon stated adding “hello” in my voice shortly after the phone ringing imitation. This didn’t really help me to tell the sounds apart since they would say “hello” every time the real phone rang anyway. But I kid you not, the two of them played this game all the time, especially when they vocalized in the morning, where one bird would do the phone ringing and the other would say “hello”. Then they would switch roles, back and forth, about a dozen times. At that level it really sounded like parrots mocking the silly obsessions of humans!

I don’t have that phone anymore, but they eventually graduated to fooling my smart speaker. They have activated it many times by saying “Alexa play news”. The first few times it really made the hair on my neck stand up because I heard it come on, but not the birds doing it. 😂

Last edited:
My wife uses Skype every day to talk to her folks.
Bella my grey imitates the Skype ring perfectly.
But it’s my yellow nape Bingo that imitates the conversation
Hola,hello.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back