• Total voters

SunConureBaba

May 16, 2022
Greater Toronto Area, Canada
Parrots
Sun Conure son (with me in spirit);
Baby Robin (my son's reincarnation? RIP);
Red Factor Sun Conure (adopted);
Magpie (rescued as baby, returned to the wild after 1 year, 24+ years ago).
I make birdie bread that has the 'flour' part as Tops pellets, that's how I some of my birds to eat it. As time goes on you start putting actual pellet chunks in the bread, not just powder. Even if your bird never eats them plain and dry at least they eat the bread, its also a great way to sneak veggies into their diet.
Ah, I dunno how to make birdie bread. Maybe I have to learn that. I'm thinking if it's better if I use Harrison's as a base (if he likes it), then sneak in some soaked TOP's powder to serve as his veggies. The thing is TOP's pellet is so crunchy and it breaks into a million pieces without adding water to it.

Last edited:

SunConureBaba

May 16, 2022
Parrots
Ah, are you weighing your sun while doing this?

I’ve had better success getting birds to eat Harrison’s over TOPS. Either way though please be sure your bird always has a food they’re willing to eat in their bowl! They can easily and quickly lose a dangerous amount of weight and even die; I speak from experience. I would not wish that on anyone.
Yes, I agree. I think it's quite dangerous if he would rather starve. I'm monitoring his poops all the time. I give blueberries / cashew / Tropimix when he doesn't wanna eat the TOP's. Tomorrow I will try the Harrison's. No I don't have a scale. However, the red sun was super obese, and had obvious cleavage from his chest to belly. When he just got here, his weight felt like a piece of brick, significantly overweight than the average sun. He couldn't even fly. Now he is flying pretty well.

Birdgirl24

Dec 2, 2021
North Dakota
Parrots
I have 1 budgie, He is a male both. I have been looking into getting an Eclectus Parrot tho.
Yes, I agree. I think it's quite dangerous if he would rather starve. I'm monitoring his poops all the time. I give blueberries / cashew / Tropimix when he doesn't wanna eat the TOP's. Tomorrow I will try the Harrison's. No I don't have a scale. However, the red sun was super obese, and had obvious cleavage from his chest to belly. When he just got here, his weight felt like a piece of brick, significantly overweight than the average sun. He couldn't even fly. Now he is flying pretty well.
my budgies just decided to eat the harrisons all i did everyday was weigh them they had good weights i didnt even do anything they just wanted to try it i guess and i was surprised because my birds are SUPER picky :blue2: but hey you know they cut me some slack made it easier on me i cant complain right?

Last edited:

Littleredbeak

May 27, 2020
Saw a poll like this on another forum and thought it'd be cool to post here.

I'd find it interesting to know what people feed their birds.

Some additional questions-

What else does your bird eat?
Why did you choose the food?

Please keep this thread civil and don't argue with others about what they feed their bird. You can share info about why or why not a pellet is good or not. This thread is purely just to see what others feed and learn more about certain brands.

I feed TOP's with some dry mix and a variety of veggies, grains, sprouts etc, so I'm voting TOP's

I am just going to name the manufacturer and not each individual pellet. If you want to state your pellet, feel free to reply to this thread.

I hope you guys find this interesting :)

Anè
What else do you feed: spouted seeds, sprouted buckwheat pancakes, sprouted rolled Oats, sprouted millet, sprouted buckwheat, eggs, a little organic grassfed cheese, a little organic grass-fed ground meat(I do not do bugs), organic walnuts, organic sprouted sunflower seed butter,l lafabera Senior Bird Nutri-Berries and a variety of fruits and veggies

Why did you choose the food: I also feed Harrision but it is very limited as the ingredients aren't that great. TOPS is least processed food and has a variety of healthy ingredients.

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Tops and Harrisons seem to be a popular choice!

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
It's interesting to see what everyone is feeding their birds. I would be curious to see what pellet people feed off of species of bird also.
You have an ekkie, right? From what I know, only a small amount of TOP'S is safe for them.

LoveOfallAnimals

Jul 17, 2022
Texas
Parrots
Eclectus - Female - Tequila
Red-Lored Amazon - Male - Tito
Albino Indian Ringneck - Female - Tia
You have an ekkie, right? From what I know, only a small amount of TOP'S is safe for them.

My vet's recommendation was to feed 60% of a vegetable chop, 30% pellets his preference on those were Tops and the other 10% seed, fruit, & nuts. I have read other articles saying that it should be 70% vegetables, 10% fruit, 10% seed &nuts, and 10% pellets. So, I don't know. I guess having parrots is like raising kids everyone has a different opinion and you just pray you are doing the right thing. I will say that since I have started feed her a chop, she seems to have stopped eating her pellets.

SunConureBaba

May 16, 2022
Parrots
I spent 10 days and managed to convert my red sun to Harrison's and Top's.

Initially I was afraid of him not eating the healthy pellets, I put in Tropimix and cashew. It was a bad idea. He only went for the junk and ignored the healthy food.

So I started only giving him Harrison's and Top's, going cold turkey. At the beginning he starved a bit, but he surrendered and started swallowing them on the same day. He was overweight so he got a lot of fat reverses. Initially he preferred Top's to Harrison's, now it's the opposite. The vast majority of Top's is going to waste (end up on the floor) if it was not served in a powder / soaked form already.

Now he accepts both Harrison's high potency fine and Top's. However, I will not feed him both at the same time, in case he picks out one over the other. I will feed Harrison's during the day and Top's overnight.

Last edited:

Most Reactions