What should I feed my birds ?

Arsenic

May 19, 2022
Hello ! I heard that pellets are great for birds but from Where I am we don't have any sorts of pellets and have also heard that a diet consisting of only seeds will be bad for my birds , so I was wondering of what I should feed my birds .

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Who did you get the Parrot from? They should have provided you with a stock of food and recommended diet as part of buying the bird.

If you are just researching getting a bird. Go to the Amazon Forum, found under Forums, and read the very large Thread titled I Love Amazons, ... That huge Thread has a segment which targets a diet for Amazon Parrots. Clearly it is targeted, but it will provide you a basic understand of what represents a healthy diet.

Last edited:

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Hello ! I heard that pellets are great for birds but from Where I am we don't have any sorts of pellets and have also heard that a diet consisting of only seeds will be bad for my birds , so I was wondering of what I should feed my birds .
You don't need to feed them pellets. In fact, I have them available but I prefer not to feed pellets!

What species is your parrot?

Only seed or mostly seed is bad. Little to no seed is also bad(unless your vet has told ou not to feed seed due to medical reasons example heart/kidney issues). Just don't feed too much.

If you tell me the type of bird you own, I can give a more detailed reply :)

OP
A

Arsenic

May 19, 2022
They mostly sell birds online from where I am from and they don't really recommend anything .
Who did you get the Parrot from? They should have provided you with a stock of food and recommended diet as part of buying the bird.

If you are just researching getting a bird. Go to the Amazon Forum, found under Forums, and read the very large Thread titled I Love Amazons, ... That huge Thread has a segment which targets a diet for Amazon Parrots. Clearly it is targeted, but it will provide you a basic understand of what represents a healthy diet.

Last edited:
OP
A

Arsenic

May 19, 2022
You don't need to feed them pellets. In fact, I have them available but I prefer not to feed pellets!

What species is your parrot?

Only seed or mostly seed is bad. Little to no seed is also bad(unless your vet has told ou not to feed seed due to medical reasons example heart/kidney issues). Just don't feed too much.

If you tell me the type of bird you own, I can give a more detailed reply :)
Sun conure , Green cheeck conure and cockatiel .

Last edited:

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Sun conure , Green cheeck conure and cockatiel .
Cockatiels are granivores, so they need 15-25% seed. I reccomend giving your cockatiel 1/3-1/2 dry food(seed, grains, herbs/spices(optional, although they are very healthy), flowers(optional), dry veg/fruit(optional). 1/2-2/3 should be vegetables, fruit and veg, herbs, etc.

Most Reactions

Latest posts