What to do after step up?

Riojones

Feb 19, 2015
Hi. I've got my IRN Rio, he's 3 months to do step up without having to show him the treat first. I'm really happy that he trusts me enough to do this :). Epesially cinsidering I've only had him for just over a week. But when I try to tickle his feet or his belly he will back off. Should I try tickling somewhere else? I know it takes time and I'm really happy that I've got as far as I have with him. Just wondering if there are any tips to getting him to let me tickle him. Thanks :).

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I haven't really worked with these guys much, but from what I understand, IRN's are not the most "touchie-feelie" of parrots.

Generally, touch training involves the gradual and gentle desensitization of the birds to fingers on his little feathered person. Some do, and some don't.

I have a 42 year old amazon who is as sweet as they come, but she still won't allow touching, and never has to my knowledge.

From what I understand IRNS enjoy trick training, which could be a bonding thing for both of you, and lead to touching later on...

Last edited:

Dinosrawr

Aug 15, 2013
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Parrots
Avery, a GCC born on March 5th, 2013 & Shiko, a blue IRN born on February 25th, 2014
Birdman is right, generally with IRN's you train them to accept touch. Very few genuinely enjoy it. My IRN has a hard time even being preened by the love of his life, my GCC. He loves to preen her or me, but he's not fond of being cuddled unless he's really in the mood for it. And I find without training, they're exceptionally apprehensive of having hands over them. I desensitized Shiko to touch by training him to stay calm when my hand goes over him, then brought it closer and closer until I could touch him. I never pushed him to do it, just simply rewarded him when he stayed calm. When I'm going to pet him, I say "tickle-tickle", and if he wants it he'll put his head low and say it back. You definitely have to communicate with them because they do understand associations well, and it takes time.

OP
R

Riojones

Feb 19, 2015
Thanks for the advice and info. Thats what I do when I go to tickle Rio. He's let me do it once on his feet. But only while he was eating a treat. Then he stepped back. So I left him to it. I do speak to him a lot I allways say what I'm doing when I'm doing it. Thanks again :).

JamJar

Jan 25, 2015
Dubai
Parrots
Orange-Winged Amazon ~ Marley
I've got a Amazon that hates being touched on the feet or belly but loves being scratched behind the head and ears and sometimes under the chin :)

give it ago what the worst that can happen ;)

OP
R

Riojones

Feb 19, 2015
I'm just worried that trying to tickle near his head might scare him and it will undo the trust that we have built. I'll try and do it slowly and see how it goes :). If he's not interested I'll leave it I don't want to push him into doing it If he's not ready. Also ive read that to many nuts can be bad for them. I use grapes and nuts as treats but he seems to do better with nuts. Is 1 nut a day to much? Thanks again :).

Most Reactions