What variety / mutation is my parakeet?

Cassrock80

Sep 26, 2021
Parrots
Parakeet - Bobby
This is my parakeet Bobby. I've had him for a couple months and I believe he's still pretty young.
I've fallen in love with his light blue color and light grey striping. But I can't seem to find any examples of this coloration online and it has me curious about his variety/mutation or whatever you might call it. Is this rare? Or am I missing something? Any info would be great! I wanna learn about my little friend as much as I can.
IMG_20210926_194702.jpg
IMG_20210620_142206.jpg

Last edited:

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Fang (10yo (ab)normal grey cockatiel), HRH Crown Princess Lilly Pilly (purple-crowned lorikeet gotcha date 28 Oct 2018) & Valentino (budgie, gotcha date 14 Feb 2019 at approx 6mo)
No idea what mutation he is, but i know GORGEOUS when i see it! Welcome to the flock to you and lovely Bobby, we're glad to have you aboard! :)

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Fang (10yo (ab)normal grey cockatiel), HRH Crown Princess Lilly Pilly (purple-crowned lorikeet gotcha date 28 Oct 2018) & Valentino (budgie, gotcha date 14 Feb 2019 at approx 6mo)
Since you don't recognize it could it be rare? Or am I just not looking hard enough?
Oh no, I don't recognise it because I am really lousy at picking mutations ;) We do have a number of pretty clued up budgie people on the forums though, MUCH smarter than me, so hopefully one of them will spot your pic and be able to help you :)

OP
Cassrock80

Cassrock80

Sep 26, 2021
Parrots
Parakeet - Bobby
There are few mutations which have light colors, but I stuck in recognizing 'em... but I've just found a good website and after looking at known by me mutations my suggestion is blue dilute : https://www.budgie-bubble.co.uk/dilute-mutation
You make a good point! Now that I've looked into it a bit, this website https://www.budgie-info.com/budgie-varieties-with-grey-markings.html also mentions the pinkish shade of his feet, and how that's because dilutes can be bread with cinnamon to create different colorations. So that explains why I had a hard time figuring it out!
You nailed it. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Very interesting stuff!

Tikitiel

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Riyadh
Parrots
Lutino cockatiel (Tiki)
2 baby sparrows
Millet
Pidgey
**RIP**
Tango the sun conure
Flintch the baby sparrow