What variety / mutation is my parakeet?

Cassrock80

Sep 26, 2021
Parrots
Parakeet - Bobby
This is my parakeet Bobby. I've had him for a couple months and I believe he's still pretty young.
I've fallen in love with his light blue color and light grey striping. But I can't seem to find any examples of this coloration online and it has me curious about his variety/mutation or whatever you might call it. Is this rare? Or am I missing something? Any info would be great! I wanna learn about my little friend as much as I can.
IMG_20210926_194702.jpg
IMG_20210620_142206.jpg

Last edited:

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
No idea what mutation he is, but i know GORGEOUS when i see it! Welcome to the flock to you and lovely Bobby, we're glad to have you aboard! :)

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Since you don't recognize it could it be rare? Or am I just not looking hard enough?
Oh no, I don't recognise it because I am really lousy at picking mutations ;) We do have a number of pretty clued up budgie people on the forums though, MUCH smarter than me, so hopefully one of them will spot your pic and be able to help you :)

OP
Cassrock80

Cassrock80

Sep 26, 2021
Parrots
Parakeet - Bobby
There are few mutations which have light colors, but I stuck in recognizing 'em... but I've just found a good website and after looking at known by me mutations my suggestion is blue dilute : https://www.budgie-bubble.co.uk/dilute-mutation
You make a good point! Now that I've looked into it a bit, this website https://www.budgie-info.com/budgie-varieties-with-grey-markings.html also mentions the pinkish shade of his feet, and how that's because dilutes can be bread with cinnamon to create different colorations. So that explains why I had a hard time figuring it out!
You nailed it. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Very interesting stuff!

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
Yup, I would say blue greywing. Greywing is a dilute mutation where the whole body (including the wings) is diluted by up to 50%, which would explain his light coloring.

He could be a cinnamon greywing, but that is very unlikely, as most breeders of greywings HATE this mutation. He would also have to have both cinnamonwing parents to be a visual cinnamon, or he could have one cinnamonwing parent and be split for cinnamon.

He's not a clearwing, his markings are too light (in clearwing, only the wings are diluted), and I don't think he is a dilute, as he seems too dark.

All in all, he's probably just a blue greywing!

OP
Cassrock80

Cassrock80

Sep 26, 2021
Parrots
Parakeet - Bobby
Yup, I would say blue greywing. Greywing is a dilute mutation where the whole body (including the wings) is diluted by up to 50%, which would explain his light coloring.

He could be a cinnamon greywing, but that is very unlikely, as most breeders of greywings HATE this mutation. He would also have to have both cinnamonwing parents to be a visual cinnamon, or he could have one cinnamonwing parent and be split for cinnamon.

All in all, he's probably just a blue greywing!
Thanks! That's great info. I'm curious about the cinnamon part tho. Because that leaves his pink feet without explanation.
Not to doubt you tho. You obviously have a lot more knowledge of the subject. I'm just curious.

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
He may be a dilute split for cinnamon, that's something I haven't thought of!

Check if he has white down feathers, this is a sign of a cinnamon. Also, check his moulted wing feathers to see if you can spot a very light brown instead of black.

Male cinnamonwings, however, usually have a much darker brown that females, which I can confirm from seeing many male cinnamonwings and owning one myself (Pepper).

Anyhow, those are my two best guesses, I like these links to budgie colors, but my favorite color chart of all time is now on an insecure site, so this is the best I've got!

OP
Cassrock80

Cassrock80

Sep 26, 2021
Parrots
Parakeet - Bobby
He may be a dilute split for cinnamon, that's something I haven't thought of!

Check if he has white down feathers, this is a sign of a cinnamon. Also, check his moulted wing feathers to see if you can spot a very light brown instead of black.

Male cinnamonwings, however, usually have a much darker brown that females, which I can confirm from seeing many male cinnamonwings and owning one myself (Pepper).

Anyhow, those are my two best guesses, I like these links to budgie colors, but my favorite color chart of all time is now on an insecure site, so this is the best I've got!

Is down feathers are definitely White. However his wings are just white and gray. No Brown to be seen. Lol is that strange or confusing?

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Is down feathers are definitely White. However his wings are just white and gray. No Brown to be seen. Lol is that strange or confusing?
He could be split for cinnamon, meaning he is a recessive cinnamon. He will not show any brown colors, but still have light feet, down, and cere.

OP
Cassrock80

Cassrock80

Sep 26, 2021
Parrots
Parakeet - Bobby
He could be split for cinnamon, meaning he is a recessive cinnamon. He will not show any brown colors, but still have light feet, down, and cere.
Sounds pretty accurate to me. I'm gonna stick with that. Thanks! Definitely the best answer so far!
Thanks a ton!

BTW, if you're up for it, I found another unique color, and got him a just over a month ago, and I've been curious about his breed as well. If you'd care to check it out, I can attach a few pictures of him to this thread as well!

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Sounds pretty accurate to me. I'm gonna stick with that. Thanks! Definitely the best answer so far!
Thanks a ton!

BTW, if you're up for it, I found another unique color, and got him a just over a month ago, and I've been curious about his breed as well. If you'd care to check it out, I can attach a few pictures of him to this thread as well!
Sure! I love decoding budgie mutations!

OP
Cassrock80

Cassrock80

Sep 26, 2021
Parrots
Parakeet - Bobby
Sure! I love decoding budgie mutations!
Alright then, let me introduce my man pesto:
He's also super light in color. Although it's hard to see in pictures, his face and part of his back are yellow. But mostly the face. His back is very muted. Part of his lower stomach and tail are light blue. And the pattern on his wings and tail are bold, but the pattern on his head almost don't exist.
What do you think?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220209-214420.jpg
    Screenshot_20220209-214420.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 64
  • Screenshot_20220209-214524.jpg
    Screenshot_20220209-214524.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 74
  • Screenshot_20220209-214106.jpg
    Screenshot_20220209-214106.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 64
  • Screenshot_20220209-214346.jpg
    Screenshot_20220209-214346.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 63
  • Screenshot_20220209-214057.jpg
    Screenshot_20220209-214057.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 70
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
I'd say sky-blue recessive pied visual cinnamon. You can obviously see he has light brown wings, and he is a recessive pied. Welcome to the club of having recessive pied cinnamons! I have a violet recessive pied cinnamon (Pepper)!

OP
Cassrock80

Cassrock80

Sep 26, 2021
Parrots
Parakeet - Bobby
I'd say sky-blue recessive pied visual cinnamon. You can obviously see he has light brown wings, and he is a recessive pied. Welcome to the club of having recessive pied cinnamons! I have a violet recessive pied cinnamon (Pepper)!
Interesting! I could've sworn he was green because of the yellow face. But that's cool. Shows how like I know! Thanks again. It's nice to understand my birds a little better.
And that's cool. Pepper must be gorgeous. Kinda funny tho, pepper and pesto.

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Interesting! I could've sworn he was green because of the yellow face. But that's cool. Shows how like I know! Thanks again. It's nice to understand my birds a little better.
And that's cool. Pepper must be gorgeous. Kinda funny tho, pepper and pesto.
Blue for sure, he could be a yellowface, a very common mutation where blue budgies have yellow faces and wings instead of white.

Most Reactions

Latest posts