what's going on with her ankles?!

elsaandnori

Jun 4, 2021
winnies ankles look a bit swollen and dry. i don't know why they are white.
i have looked around for an answer but only bumble foot and gout came up and it doesn't look like either one.
she has lots of different perches, only one dowel and about 5 more natural ones as well as rope. she does have a sanded window perch but she doesn't use it much.
she isn't limping at all and her feet look fine.
i put a bit of coconut oil on it to help with the dryness.
any ideas on what it is?
her vet is supposed to come see her next week anyway but i would love some advice from the people here right now!
winnie feet.jpeg

her band isn't too tight, i checked.
also do her nails look too long?
thank you.

D

Deleted member 42416

also i checked to see if it hurt when i touched her ankles, she didn't flinch and didn't seem like she was in any pain.
Hi!
Her nails are are perfect but the swelling is concerning. It looks like the band is on the verge of becoming too tight and once that happens it will cut circulation to that foot. She needs to see an avian vet asap and the band needs to come off (they should be able to remove safely). They also need to determine what is causing the edema in the first place.

Many prayers and best wishes

OP
elsaandnori

elsaandnori

Jun 4, 2021
Hi!
Her nails are are perfect but the swelling is concerning. It looks like the band is on the verge of becoming too tight and once that happens it will cut circulation to that foot. She needs to see an avian vet asap and the band needs to come off (they should be able to remove safely). They also need to determine what is causing the edema in the first place.

Many prayers and best wishes
hi thanks for the reply.
i know her band looks tight i the photo but i can spin it around easily and there is definitely room between her leg and it.

she has had this for a few weeks (i know i should have taken her to a vet sooner but i honestly do not trust the ones here and her vet who works in a whole different state, was about to come see her but had to go back because of an emergency) and it hasn't gotten any worse but hasn't gotten any better either. there is a vet here only 30 mins away who sees birds but i have been there before and they were not very knowledgable. do you have an idea of what they would do and look at? i hate to say this and i hope i don't sound awful but do you think she will be alright until next week to see the vet i trust? i know it will be a very scary experience for her, having to force her into her travel cage which she doesn't like and the whole vet experience (i know lots of parrots go through it though). if you don't i will get her to that vet tomorrow (its too late now) and get her checked out.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
how old is your bird? And what is your birds diet?
A possibility could be rickets.

It looks like her legs are folding over the foot, but I can't really tell what's going on in this pic

Can you offer different pictures that show them leg better?

What's her weight? Its hard to tell, but might be thinish

This looks serious, I'm glad you will have a veterinarian evaluation. That is really the only way to help. No matter how scary for both of you.

OP
elsaandnori

elsaandnori

Jun 4, 2021
how old is your bird? And what is your birds diet?
A possibility could be rickets.

It looks like her legs are folding over the foot, but I can't really tell what's going on in this pic

Can you offer different pictures that show them leg better?

What's her weight? Its hard to tell, but might be thinish

This looks serious, I'm glad you will have a veterinarian evaluation. That is really the only way to help. No matter how scary for both of you.
she is five and a half months. she is still on formula but eats chop in the morning, and a dry mix of flowers, herbs, grains and other things in the evening.

i will try to get another picture today.

she weighed 370g today. still a bit on the thin side but has put a lot of weight on since i got her.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Ok much better. Its her hock joint that is swollen. Could be infected, could be injured but she does seem weak on her legs. Which causes hock sitting which can lead to hock bumble infection/pressure sore

Rickets unlikely with this diet.

So going to need the veterinarian to determine why underweight why weak in the legs why hock swollen. You see them next week correct?

Keep us updated with what vet finds and recommends.

Here is a good weaning article

Last edited:
OP
elsaandnori

elsaandnori

Jun 4, 2021
Ok much better. Its her hock joint that is swollen. Could be infected, could be injured but she does seem weak on her legs. Which causes hock sitting which can lead to hock bumble infection/pressure sore

Rickets unlikely with this diet.

So going to need the veterinarian to determine why underweight why weak in the legs why hock swollen. You see them next week correct?

Keep us updated with what vet finds and recommends.

Here is a good weaning article
yes the vet is coming to see her on monday.
i am just confused on how this happened.
if it is an infection how does something like that come about?
she didn't have it when i got her so it must be something that i am doing wrong with her.
i will keep everyone updated!
thank you for the article too.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Is that a sand perch? They can be irritating and cause abrasion.

I don't know if this is an infection, it could be something else. But if she is always sitting on hocks . Then that puts chronic strain on the joint. While occasionally hock resting is normal.

Don't be blaming yourself, until veterinarian figures out what's going on. Sometimes stuff just happens. But if its something thst could have been prevented then share with us. So we can try and prevent

OP
elsaandnori

elsaandnori

Jun 4, 2021
yes it is. i will put vet tape over it so it not as rough on her feet.
once you pointed it out i have noticed she does tend to rest on her hocks a lot.
i will share if it was something that could be prevented!

OP
elsaandnori

elsaandnori

Jun 4, 2021
UPDATE!
the vet came today and saw Winnie.

she said it was Hyperkeratosis, just build up of dead skin. its not hurting her at all, it might be caused by some kind of vitamin deficiency, she said her band rubbing on her leg may have also caused it. but said the band was loose and a good size and if it did get worse she would have to put Winnie under anaesthetic and cut it off. she said to put some coconut oil or aloe vera on the build up from time to time to try and break it down.
she also told me to get a vitamin supplement to put into her diet and gave me some omega oil (not really related to the feet thing just for general health).

so it was a really great visit, i loved the vet, Winnie didn't really, she didn't appreciate being toweled but she has a swab test and fecal test so we can see if she has any infections or diseases.

i have read about Hyperkeratosis and others have said its because of a vitamin A deficiency but she's only a baby and hasn't had much from formula and a little bit of chop (still weaning) so i don't think i could have helped it, but please say if i could have.

i have also heard not to give Vitamin A supplements because you can over do it but she's not going to eat those vegetables high in vitamin A consistently or even at all for a little bit i don't think (i will see if she does when i offer them to her and will keep trying if she doesn't). so i would like to give her a supplement like the vet said, does anyone else give them to their birds too? i definitely don't want to give her too much.

thanks for the help everyone!

Winnie is currently being spoiled after a scary first vet visit and got lots of treats and toys.

Most Reactions