What's going on??

Nov 2, 2022
Media
Washington, DC, USA
Parrots
Astro (budgie) 1/20/23--3/31/23
Poppy (cinnamon cockatiel)
Lately Astro hasn't been using one of his legs the same. He can still grasp with his foot but when I touch the 'shoulder' it seems to hurt him. It might be due to an accident a week or two ago (something fell on him while he was on the floor) but I checked him over immediately after and he was fine, these symptoms didn't show up until days later. When I looked closer, his hip looked reddish and almost like it was jutting out but unfortunately I didn't think to look there for a day or two after he started walking funny. I don't think it's dislocated because he can still move his hip just fine as well but again, I have no idea what's going on. I feel really bad about it but I don't know what to do since I'm a minor and don't know if I can pay for a ton of medical bills if it's serious, but if I need to I'm taking him to a vet. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Last edited:

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Lately Astro hasn't been using one of his legs the same. He can still grasp with his foot but when I touch the 'shoulder' it seems to hurt him. It might be due to an accident a week or two ago (something fell on him while he was on the floor) but I checked him over immediately after and he was fine, these symptoms didn't show up until days later. When I looked closer, his hip looked reddish and almost like it was jutting out but unfortunately I didn't think to look there for a day or two after he started walking funny. I don't think it's dislocated because he can still move his hip just fine as well but again, I have no idea what's going on. I feel really bad about it but I don't know what to do since I'm a minor and don't know if I can pay for a ton of medical bills if it's serious, but if I need to I'm taking him to a vet. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
You should bring him to an avian vet if you can. His leg may be fractured or dislocated even if he can still use it. The good news is that fractured legs can heal very well if you keep him in a cage with a padded bottom and very low perches. I have a budgie with osteoporosis who fractured her femur (biggest leg bone) and it healed very well two months later.

OP
Birds-of-middle-earth
Nov 2, 2022
Media
Washington, DC, USA
Parrots
Astro (budgie) 1/20/23--3/31/23
Poppy (cinnamon cockatiel)
You should bring him to an avian vet if you can. His leg may be fractured or dislocated even if he can still use it. The good news is that fractured legs can heal very well if you keep him in a cage with a padded bottom and very low perches. I have a budgie with osteoporosis who fractured her femur (biggest leg bone) and it healed very well two months later.
Thanks! Astro's doing better now

Most Reactions

Latest posts