What’s wrong with my parrot?

Zed122

Jan 17, 2022
Parrots
Blue fronted Amazon
Hello,
I’m having an issue with my blue fronted Amazon. She’s under two years old and when I bought nelly(the parrot) she was eating an all seed diet. For the past two days I’ve changed her diet to Tops pellets and vegetables/chop in the evening. She interacting with pellets however I don’t really know if she consuming it. The issue is that sometimes she moves her head like she is going to be sick (I think that’s what the head bopping with beak fully open is) however so far she hasn’t. She used to do this when she first came to us on a all seed diet but has started doing it again now. Does anyone know what this is?

Attachments

• IMG_4080.MP4
    2 MB

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
Some birds have their own silly little things they do but take her to the vet. She could be sick and it's better to be on the safe side.

hiriki

Oct 19, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
(Birdie - Jenday Conure)
(Kiwi - Green Cheek Conure)
(Elby - Lovebird)
(Gorou & Liberty - Ringneck Doves)
It sounds to me like you may have transitioned her to a new diet too quickly--generally you want to do it over the course of a week or two by mixing the old diet with the new.

The motion you're describing might be clearing her crop? Just guessing from the description. A visit to the vet is not a bad idea though.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
First, Welcome to the Wonderful World of Amazons!!

What you are seeing is the natural process of repositioning her crop as she may bring food back-up for additional crewing or setting it up for down the tube to the stomach.

Although your baby is still young. It is never to early to begin reading the two Threads at the very top of the Amazon Forum! Both are founding documents to Love and Living with Amazons and are Must Reads! Yes, they are major readings, but your baby is worth the time!!

Note: If you are in North America, you should have received a Hatch (birth) Certificate with your Amazon, which defines the species of both parents and the date your Amazon was Hatched. The name and location of the breeder and any other owners between you and the breeder. That document is a life long document and must follow your Amazon during its full long and happy life. The document is so important that I Strongly Recommend that you have your Avian Vet make a copy and include it has part of her Medical Files. You will find them very helpful in the future. Also, having such a document assures that your baby is not a Black Market Parrot. As there are becoming ever more common now a days!

Consider having your Blue-Fronted Amazon Microchipped as that is the only assurance in a Court of Law that this Amazon is your Amazon!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Sorry, but I missed a very serious statement! Please Stop with the 100% change in her diet! Amazons can starve and quickly if one Stops a set diet without setting a transition in place. This is very true for young Amazons as they may not see the New Diet as Food! Please transition your baby!! This can take months with a young Amazon.

OP
Z

Zed122

Jan 17, 2022
Parrots
Blue fronted Amazon
First, Welcome to the Wonderful World of Amazons!!

What you are seeing is the natural process of repositioning her crop as she may bring food back-up for additional crewing or setting it up for down the tube to the stomach.

Although your baby is still young. It is never to early to begin reading the two Threads at the very top of the Amazon Forum! Both are founding documents to Love and Living with Amazons and are Must Reads! Yes, they are major readings, but your baby is worth the time!!

Note: If you are in North America, you should have received a Hatch (birth) Certificate with your Amazon, which defines the species of both parents and the date your Amazon was Hatched. The name and location of the breeder and any other owners between you and the breeder. That document is a life long document and must follow your Amazon during its full long and happy life. The document is so important that I Strongly Recommend that you have your Avian Vet make a copy and include it has part of her Medical Files. You will find them very helpful in the future. Also, having such a document assures that your baby is not a Black Market Parrot. As there are becoming ever more common now a days!

Consider having your Blue-Fronted Amazon Microchipped as that is the only assurance in a Court of Law that this Amazon is your Amaz
Sorry, but I missed a very serious statement! Please Stop with the 100% change in her diet! Amazons can starve and quickly if one Stops a set diet without setting a transition in place. This is very true for young Amazons as they may not see the New Diet as Food! Please transition your baby!! This can take months with a young Amazon.
Thanks for the advice. I was using one of The YouTubers (BirdTricks) advice of one way to transition which is to go all in and sometimes the bird may accept it however to be safe I will be taking a slower approach.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Thanks for the advice. I was using one of The YouTubers (BirdTricks) advice of one way to transition which is to go all in and sometimes the bird may accept it however to be safe I will be taking a slower approach.
Thank-You!!!

Please work your way into the very large Thread near the top of the Amazon Forum (I Love Amazons) and search for the foundation of an Amazon Diet! Sorry, but this Thread was created prior to the change to the new format and the pages no longer apply.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Looks like crop adjustment. Thst is a normal behavior, except if they do it a lot. If they do that often it can indicate inflammation of the crop or throat. I had a burd that has been on antibiotics and developed a yeast infection in crop. She did frequently crop adjustment as well as starting to only want soft food. Vet checked her diagnosis yeast infection, treated with medication resolved. Of course do not have to have been on antibiotics to have yeast or bacterial overgrowth in crop.

I also had an outbreak of chlamydia. One of my sick burds did lots of crop adjustment was due to inflammation and infection.

Lastly , lol, I had a budgie doing lots of crop adjustment , and scratching at neck and beak, oral exam showed a seed hull stuck by opening of airway. Vet took care of it.

So yes this is most often a completely normal behavior. But its good you are paying attention, as it can be a sign of an issue. And worth bringing to the attention of a veterinarian if you have any concerns or seems to be happening a lot.

Birds lover from Hawaii

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 8, 2021
Media
Honolulu Hawaii
Parrots
Senegal (RIP: 5/21/94-10/20/21)
Hello,
I’m having an issue with my blue fronted Amazon. She’s under two years old and when I bought nelly(the parrot) she was eating an all seed diet. For the past two days I’ve changed her diet to Tops pellets and vegetables/chop in the evening. She interacting with pellets however I don’t really know if she consuming it. The issue is that sometimes she moves her head like she is going to be sick (I think that’s what the head bopping with beak fully open is) however so far she hasn’t. She used to do this when she first came to us on a all seed diet but has started doing it again now. Does anyone know what this is?
I lost my 27 year old Senegal due to bacteria crop infection. He had frequent crop adjustments and regurgitation after consuming big or small pellets, corns and nuts. I would strongly suggest you to take your bird to the vet asap before the condition gets worse in the case of crop infection so it could be fixed with a mild dose of antibiotics at an early stage. The vet only needs to do a swab test in a couple of seconds and will let you know the result immediately.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I lost my 27 year old Senegal due to bacteria crop infection. He had frequent crop adjustments and regurgitation after consuming big or small pellets, corns and nuts. I would strongly suggest you to take your bird to the vet asap before the condition gets worse in the case of crop infection so it could be fixed with a mild dose of antibiotics at an early stage. The vet only needs to do a swab test in a couple of seconds and will let you know the result immediately.
I'm so sorry that happened. Thank you for sharing .

In thinking about it more I fully agree with getting a vet check. Because every time this was noticed by me it was an issue.

Mild crop infection of yeast or bacterial overgrowth are pretty common and easily treated when caught early.

And on reflection on your history, diet change can easily lead to imbalance. Plus the history of previous owner all seed diet. Well that causes vitamin A deficiency and can cause oral plaques especially in Amazon parrots. Low vitamin A levels are strong link with nasal and oral health and immune functions. Feed peppers like bell pepper and red chili pepper they are great source if vitamin A and usually well liked by parrots. Cooked sweet potatoes and cooked butternut squash, cooking carrots all do makes vitamin A more available.

Birds lover from Hawaii

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 8, 2021
Media
Honolulu Hawaii
Parrots
Senegal (RIP: 5/21/94-10/20/21)
I'm so sorry that happened. Thank you for sharing .

In thinking about it more I fully agree with getting a vet check. Because every time this was noticed by me it was an issue.

Mild crop infection of yeast or bacterial overgrowth are pretty common and easily treated when caught early.

And on reflection on your history, diet change can easily lead to imbalance. Plus the history of previous owner all seed diet. Well that causes vitamin A deficiency and can cause oral plaques especially in Amazon parrots. Low vitamin A levels are strong link with nasal and oral health and immune functions. Feed peppers like bell pepper and red chili pepper they are great source if vitamin A and usually well liked by parrots. Cooked sweet potatoes and cooked butternut squash, cooking carrots all do makes vitamin A more available.
If bacteria infection is found, best hold off on treats like nutriberries and vegetables contain high sugar content till the infection is clear.

meddjay

May 30, 2017
Hello,
When parrots do the head bobbing and regurgitation thing, it simply means they love you. Think about how a mother bird feeds her babies. She has to eat the food first and break it down for little tummies and then spits (regurgitates) it back up to feed them. So the most precious gift a parrot can give you is their food right? So they are trying to give you a gift of their food because they love you! So just ignore that behavior, or try not to be right next to the cage when they eat so you will be out of eye site. .

Now, with the other issue of seed vs pellets…. Pellets are more nutritional than seeds (my opinion) and having said that, you usually can’t expect them to just change over night. I would try to wean them off of seeds a little at a time and just use seeds as a training tool or treat. Continue to give seeds so you can make sure they ARE eating but serve seeds with pellets and greens and little by little cut back on the seeds. It may take some time to get your parrot used to the idea of eating pellets but don’t give up…patience is the key here.

*This is only my opinion as a long time (20 plus years) multiple (7 ) parrot owner and in no way should the advice I give be substituted for the qualified Avian Veterinarians.

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
A quick search will bring you to the Harrison’s Bird Foods site. They have some very good information about helping parrots transition to a pellet diet, as well as first aid advice, bird anatomy posters, and all kinds of bird foods and treats. Both our parrots eat adult lifetime coarse pepper, and the macaw gets power treats but the Amazon is too fat for those! I also bought some powdered formula, and I keep it in the freezer in case of emergency. Sometimes a parrot won’t eat if they are very sick or hurt, or they might need extra nutrition. I figure it can’t hurt to have it on hand..,

Henry's Mom

Dec 27, 2021
Parrots
Blue Fronted Amazon Parrot
It sounds to me like you may have transitioned her to a new diet too quickly--generally you want to do it over the course of a week or two by mixing the old diet with the new.

The motion you're describing might be clearing her crop? Just guessing from the description. A visit to the vet is not a bad idea though.
I agree, you're supposed to transition slowly keep them on their seed diet and slowly introduce The pellets, I still can't get my birds after a year of ownership to eat much of anything other than their seeds. But I'm still trying to introduce other things at their pace. They love apples and bananas, I'm still trying to get them to eat other things. Be patient keep them on their seat diet and slowly introduce other things. They will starve themselves if they don't like or recognize the food you are trying to give them. Good luck be patient and keep trying to give them approximately two tablespoons of something different everyday. I put mine in a separate bowl with one of the things they like, like apples.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Reading this over again only reinforces my despair at folks who use Bird-Tricks as a source of good information. I despise them.

Most Reactions

Latest posts