Which Parrot Is For Me???

Von1983

Banned
Banned
Sep 3, 2010
Media
Aww thanks Lisa! Do you really think that's the case? I forgot - you would most certainly know!!!! Cal sure is a bossy madam....

Ooooh Alien, no....I've been bite proof worried since I was a kid lol! I have scars from Cal's first interaction with me(carry cage to proper cage on day one), didn't make a peep lol. I don't know what it is about the larger birds that make me believe I'd not be very good......

I know Dave would love an AG or macaw....he's mesmirised by Mishka and also Freddie, Sharon's amazon and now (I don't help myself!!!) Melly's Beau! I just feel with the 2 dogs, the cat, the rabbit and Cally Pants I have enough to be getting on with! I don't think I'd be able to give a larger bird the interaction it would need to be happy as I can't have a huge cage in the shop :(. We spend 84 hours a week in here.....

Also, as fantastic as my husband is, I am the one who does the lions share of animal work and all the research! How a lot of you cope with your XL broods of lots of birds, other animals, work and HUMAN children..... I do not know...I am in awe of you!

Alienation

Banned
Banned
Nov 2, 2010
Media
Victoria, Australia
Parrots
Awaiting my baby blue front...
Hahaha fair enough. I personally can't understand how bird breeders cope. They have so many birds that need so much attention - especially when hand feeding chicks every couple of hours! It's insane! I'll just stick to keeping them as pets thanks =P

birdiemomma

Dec 2, 2010
California
Parrots
My Hahn's Macaw Bella <3
I respectfully disagree that cockatoos are classified as medium. I think that in order to properly care for a cockatoo that you need to be an experienced bird owner. I care for the birds and don't want people thinking that a cockatoo is easy because they need so much attention!!

Ninnie

Mar 27, 2011
This is great info, thanks for sharing! But I see you didn't mention the parrotlet as a pet and they are small and easy to care for. Not to mention very lovely.

Last edited:

ann

Feb 18, 2011
USA
Parrots
1 nanday conure Black Jack, 1 Brotogeris parakeet Whiff, 1 ring neck dove Eliza, and 6 society finches (3 are tame). RIP my parent pairs of societies and my little gouldian finches
fell better, that was an amazing post. i understand what you mean. its so sad. one of my brothers friends just got a love bird and i think its there first bird, i realy hope they read up on it or there in for a suprise. my fiends sister whos 10 got a GCC who "used to be fiendly but now it bites" i wish people relized what a committment these wonderful creatures are.

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
Maybe I'm missing something here. You have African Greys as a "10" for noise level, but Macaws as "8 or 9" on the noise level scale?

I thought African Greys were supposed to be a quieter bird than a macaw. I know there is exceptions to every rule, but the few Greys I have been around were very quiet. But the couple of Macaws I've been around have gotten loud enough that you could hear them down the block.

Abzeez

Apr 26, 2011
WI
Parrots
Bean the Blue Front Amazon, Chico the Ringneck, and Ida the African grey
Why does it say VON1983 is banned? Is that meaning what I think it does?

tytbody

Jun 20, 2011
Diego and all, would a Goffin go in the category of the Cockatoos also?
this question is also along the lines of job. If certain birds require experience, how do you get the experience without having the bird?

rosella

Jan 24, 2012
hi there,
very intresting post....just wondering if australian grass parakeets such as the rosella count in the parakeet section?
thanks

happycat

Mar 9, 2012
Virginia, U.S.
Parrots
Kakariki (Kirby) Cockatiel (Shiro) Jenday Conure (Jojo)
I think this is a big help!
One thing i think would help is instead of
1)3 it could be Price)3
Because (atleast for me) it makes it easier because you dont have to keep going up and down so much,

NiR

Jul 30, 2012
I think you should add a temperament rating also. This can include a birds tendencies to bite, be aggressive compared to other birds. This is very important to others.

paulhanlon

Banned
Banned
Jun 10, 2012
Media
Newton aycliffe Co.Durham
Parrots
Jinx - Blue Fronted Amazon hatched 12.06.2012
I wouldn't say a amazon is for an experianced person I'd put them at hard but not experianced unless your refering to the yellow napes and double yellows then I would say experianced but blue fronts and so on I'd say hard

Gshepdog

Aug 22, 2012
Massachusetts
Parrots
Dusty 35 y/o Orange Wing Amazon and Perrott 18 y/o Double Yellow Headed Amazon
The ratings on the Amazons are right on the money. They are definitely not for beginners.

Lee

paulhanlon

Banned
Banned
Jun 10, 2012
Media
Newton aycliffe Co.Durham
Parrots
Jinx - Blue Fronted Amazon hatched 12.06.2012
Well my blue front is my first real parrot and we are getting on great I went to get him this morn as soon as I walked in he flew to me for kisses and cuddles.

Dinodude

Jun 23, 2014
I love me cockatoo and it is my 1st parrot, but my dad has experience with parrots
point is as long as you are dedicated then you should be ready.

Most Reactions

Latest posts