Which Parrot Is For Me???

June2012

Apr 12, 2015
Southern California
Parrots
Still on that mission, but looking for my mushy! <3
I love me cockatoo and it is my 1st parrot, but my dad has experience with parrots
point is as long as you are dedicated then you should be ready.

LOL. Have you seen the 'date' on this thread? :54:

Yup! And I'm still stalking. XD (I'm not the person you quoted that resurrected into another account, by the way! lol)

Tami2

Aug 18, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Levi - 6 yr old CAG

DOH-4/2/2016
For those of you out there looking for a new bird but you're unsure as to what bird to get? Well, this thread will give you the levels of diffculty on each bird as to their needs, costs, behavior, etc.

I will state a group of parrots, I'll give them one of the five labels (beginner, easy, medium, hard, expereinced), followed by a brief paragraph explaining the type, and then I will rate them on several fields:
1) Cost of bird and cost for care: 1-10 (1 is the cheapest and 10 is most expensive)
2) Diet: 1-5 (1 being basic and 5 complicated. And make sure it's a well balenced diet of pellets, fruits, and veggies)
3) Noise (Include talking, singing, chirping, screaming, etc.): 1-10 (1 being quiet and 10 the noisest)
4) Enrichment and Interation: 1-3 (1 being they can do fine with lots of toys in the cage or with a mate, and 3 being they NEED enrichment and interaction)
5) Messiness: 1-5 (1 being somewhat clean and 5 being extremely messy)
6) Longetivity (how long they live): It'll be stated in years

A few more things: another factor to put in is the bird's personality. Some birds may be different so don't rely on this 100%. And lastly, all birds bite. There's no rate for it. Their biting depends on their personality and trust in humans as well. OK, here goes:

MACAWS: Hard/Experienced
Macaws are the largest of the parrots on the pet market. They're known to be gentle giants filled with huge amounts of love and affection that a price can't be put on. There are different species of macaws with different colors. They tend to be noisy and very mischievious, but their love and cuteness makes up for it.
1) 8-9
2) 3
3) 8
4) 3
5) 4
6) 40-60 years

MINI MACAWS: Hard
The smaller cousins of the giant macaws, the mini's pack a powerful punch for their size. They're basically conure size. Their personalities match to the regular-sized macaws. They may be small, but their hearts are large.
1) 7
2) 3
3) 8
4) 3
5) 4
6)20-30 year

AMAZONS: Experienced
The humble amazons can make the perfect companion if raised right. Amazons have a very stubborn nature and can be grumpy at times. However, they're love bugs with the right person, and can give you all the love they have.
1) 7-8
2) 3
3) 4-6
4) 3
5) 4
6) 60 year and possibly more

COCKATOOS: Medium/Hard/Experienced
The noisy clowns of the parrot family goes to the cockatoo, hands down. They tend to get loud, but they're very lovable. They're also very mischevious, and love to get themselves into all sorts of trouble. Make sure you give them sturdy, good-quality cages since they might attemt at breaking it apart. They're always out for cuddles and love. And they give lots in return.
1) 7-10
2) 4
3) 9-10
4) 3
5) 5
6) 40-50 years

ALEXANDRINES, MOUSTACHE PARAKEETS, AND INDIAN RING NECKS: Easy/Medium
These guys are basically bigger versions of parakeets/budgies. They come in lots of exciting different species and colors. Give them your love and attention, and they'll give more in return.
1) 5-7
2) 2
3) 5-8
4) 2
5) 3
6) 20-30 years

AFRICAN GREYS: Medium/Hard
The chatterboxes and mimics of the parrot family, African Greys have an excellent, and the best, capability to mimic and understand human speech and sounds. They're lovable little buggers who love to perform cranzy antics. However, if you have dander allergies and no air purifier, greys are the worst birds for your allergies.
1) 6-8
2) 3
3) 10
4) 3
5) 4
6) 40-50 years

CONURES: Easy/Medium
The acrobatic conures are such clowns and cuddle bugs. They love to snuggle in any place they can slip themselves into, such as your shirt or hair. They LOVE to chew as well, so make sure they have lots of chew toys, and no hazards for them to chew on outside they cage.
1) 5-6
2) 3
3) 6-10
4) 3
5) 3
6) 15-30 years

POICEPHALUS (INCLUDES JARDINE'S, MEYER'S, AND SENEGALS): Medium
Probably the quietest of all the other parrots (they're still noisy, just not as loud). They are excellent learners and love to learn words, sounds, and tricks. They look for love and attention (and scratches too!), so give them all you got.
1) 5-6
2) 3
3) 3-6
4) 2-3
5) 4
6) 20-30 years

LORIKEETS: Medium/Hard
Lories are really sweet birds with lovable personalities. However, they have special dietary needs, so make sure you look into it before you consider one. And they're very messy, but lovable in all.
1) 6-8
2) 5
3) 5-9
4) 2-3
5) 5
6) 20-25 years

ECLECTUS: Hard
They eclectus is a sexually dimorphic with the males green, and females red. They're loveable birds with big personalities. These birds are also good birds for people with allergies. Their feathers are hair-like rather than feathers, so they give very little dander. They're the hypo-allergenic species of the parrot family. Their diets, however, are a serious matter. They need a very healthy diet of natural (not colored) pellets, lots of veggies, fruits, and sprouts.
1) 8-9
2) 5
3) 4-6
4) 3
5) 4
6) 40-50 years

PIONUS, CAIQUES, AND QUAKERS (THEY'RE NOT THE SAME GENETICALLY, BUT THEY'RE SIMILAR IN MANY WAYS): Easy/Medium
At first, these birds may be shy, but they're very open and have warm hearts. Caiques are the bouning bubbles, always active and on the go. Quakers are sweet birds with a few territorial issues, but that can be worked on. And pionus are very quiet, laid-back birds who love to hang around with their flock.
1) 5-7
2) 2-3
3) 5-8
4) 3
5) 3-4
6)20-30 years

COCKATIELS: Beginner/Easy/Medium
Just because they're easy doesn't mean they should be treated any different from larger parrots. Give them a good diet of pellet, fruits, and veggies with lots of interaction. Cockatiels are birds that can be easily tamed and trained to be your loyal friend and companion for life.
1) 3-5
2) 2
3) 5-7
4) 2-3
5) 3
6) 20-25 years

PARAKEETS: Beginner/Easy
Same as the cockatiel, Just because they're easy doesn't mean they should be treated any different from larger parrots. Give them a good diet of pellet, fruits, and veggies with lots of interaction. Parakeets are great friends if you raise them right. Males are more capable to mimic human speech than females. They're also sexually dimorphic.
1) 2-5
2) 2
3) 5-7
4) 1
5) 2-3
6) 10-20 years

FINCHES: Beginner
Not much to say about finches except that they can sing beautiful birdie songs. It's very hard to hand tame them but you can give it a shot.
1) 1-3
2) 1
3) 5-8
4) 1
5) 1-2
6) 10-20 years

LOVEBIRDS: Medium/Hard
These birds are best to be kept in pairs or more, but even one is still fine. They can get aggressive, moody, and nippy. But overall, they're great birds for owners who want something small and cheap, but challenging.
1) 3-6
2) 3
3) 5-7
4) 2
5) 2
6) 10-20 years

TOUCANS: Hard/Experienced (Special Needs, do more research if you're seriously considering a toucan)
Toucans are beautiful birds with vivid personalities and colors. They're however have completely different dietary requirement from parrots because they're softbills. So make sure you thoroughly research them if you're considering in getting one. They still make great comapnions, and another thing, they love to be babied around.
1) 9-10
2) 5
3) 3-5
4) 3
5) 5
6) 20-30 years

HAWK-HEADED PARROTS: Hard/Experienced
When they display, they have a "fan of feathers" that will spread out around their heads, crimson feathers, tipped in bright blue. These beauties are vocal and fun as pets. They can be somewhat moody, so it may be crucial to handle them daily to keep them from preferring solitude.
1) 8-9
2) 4
3) 6-8
4) 3
5) 4
6) 30-40 years

Remember, there's also their personalities that might make them different from these numbers. And also, if you're a beginner but you want to shoot for a macaw, go for it, but just be sure you can handle it.

Hope this helps you pick out your new friend for life :)

WOW, this is very Cool :smile049:

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Cool!
Update on Patagonian Conures...
Mine is almost 34, and my avian vet informs me he looks healthy enough to live another 5-10, at least, if all goes well.
Geeeeeez, that means I have to live to 75 at least, to keep my promise to him that he'll be with me until he dies.
Oh, the PRESSURE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

DiscoDuck

Banned
Banned
Jun 9, 2012
Media
Wilmington DE - Landenberg PA
Parrots
Rudy - Hybrid Ruby Macaw Born 6/6/15 Scarlet Mother/Green Wing Father - Oliver BFA RIP 3/15/15 @ 34yo. Without you, I would not have Rudy. Thank you!
I generally don t yell on the intermet.... sp. on purpose :)

THIS THREAD SHOULD APPEAR AS A STICKY ON EVERY SPECIES FORUM.

FOR THOSE (FIRST AND FOREMOST) WHO ARE WANTING TO LEARN MORE!!!

Cardinal

Jul 1, 2014
India
Parrots
Currently I have none, but I have the capacity to adopt a minimum and maximum of two budgies - preferably a bonded pair or two males.
This

"ALEXANDRINES, MOUSTACHE PARAKEETS, AND INDIAN RING NECKS: Easy/Medium
These guys are basically bigger versions of parakeets/budgies. They come in lots of exciting different species and colors. Give them your love and attention, and they'll give more in return.
"

is not true. They are completely different from Budgies. And they also differ from each other. The Alexandrine is different from the Plumheaded , that is different form the Roseringed which is again different from the Slaty headed parakeet.
Too broad a generalisation.

itchyfeet

Nov 1, 2014
Middle Earth
Parrots
Ethyl the cockatiel, Henry & Clarke the IRN's, and Skittles the lovebird (my daughters)
This

"ALEXANDRINES, MOUSTACHE PARAKEETS, AND INDIAN RING NECKS: Easy/Medium
"

is not true. They are completely different from Budgies. And they also differ from each other. The Alexandrine is different from the Plumheaded , that is different form the Roseringed which is again different from the Slaty headed parakeet.
Too broad a generalisation.

I have to agree with this. IRN's are in a class of their own.

Lol Gail - no walking in front of buses then, hey?

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
kinda brief and I wooudhope prospective new owners do a LOTmore investigations.

ParrotGenie

Jan 10, 2019
Indiana
Parrots
2 umbrella Cockatoos One male named Cooper and female named Baby 1 Little Corella male named Frankie and have 5 Cockatiels three named Male named Pepper, Fiesco for the female and female named Wylie.
The chart is not accurate on same parts. Like Macaws and Cockatoo. Being a trainer I recommend a Macaw to someone before I do a Cockatoo. Cockatoos are way more demanding, the bigger common ones like beside Umbrella and Moluccan are a force to be reckon with if you get them upset and can bite harder and latch on without warning as they are very temperamental, especially the females when they are hormonal which are what we refer to them as "quick snappers". They can be happy one second and then next you are bitten out of the blue, for something you may have did days ago. Then they can be the most destructive parrot, I never leave a Cockatoo out of cage unsupervised like I would a Macaw, they would tear up your house, or apartment. A reason why you have bird rescues with a lot more cockatoo then Macaws. Don't get me wrong I love my Cockatoos as they pick me and go everywhere I go, but took a lot to get them to that point. Yes they can be quite awarding when taken care of properly and given the attention needed. But they require a smarter experience person that will dedicate time and understand them and are not the parrot for most people. They are for problem solvers type of people, that willing to work with and around behavior issues and etc.

Macaw seem scary due to size different, but reason they are refer to as gentle giants. They are way more lay back and forgiving then a Cockatoo. Macaw due require a larger cage so yes a little more expensive to house, but way easier to take care of and don't require the attention that a Cockatoo demands pretty much.

I would rate cockatoo hard/experience and Macaw medium hard/experience.

It was funny I bring my cockatoos all the time to the vet on my shoulder the front desk people and vets love to play with them and carry them as they are well socialized, but she goes she won't do this with a Macaw as she scared of them and usually they have to have 3 of them to hold them down. So what did I do the next week? I walk in with Randy the B&G Macaw I am training for someone to get her looked at on my arm. They were terrified yet one was wearing a Macaw shirt. They younger vet past her on to the more experience older vet that use to them to do the exam. I did get a couple of them to pick her up as explain to them how they are gentle giants and Cockatoos actually can bite harder, so it can help them get over fear of them, next time I bought her in for blood work the younger vet took her on this time around and wasn't as scared as they saw how friendly she was the first time around. I do know why they were scared a breeder I know has to very aggressive Macaws she brings in and they can't even handle them, they have to towel them to get them out of carrier.

Last edited:

SomePeopleHaveBirds

Jan 30, 2019
Michigan... Thinking of moving to the state of New
Parrots
N/A but hopes I get chosen oh please oh please
Wow it must be cool to be a bird trainer, it must be very rewarding. I think I might stick with trying to be an avian vet, I'm pretty sure an avian trainer is next level.

But I guess it doesn't hurt to look into it and take classes right? (It might physically hurt) What do I got to lose? (probably a finger).

Last edited:

ParrotGenie

Jan 10, 2019
Indiana
Parrots
2 umbrella Cockatoos One male named Cooper and female named Baby 1 Little Corella male named Frankie and have 5 Cockatiels three named Male named Pepper, Fiesco for the female and female named Wylie.
Wow it must be cool to be a bird trainer, it must be very rewarding. I think I might stick with trying to be an avian vet, I'm pretty sure an avian trainer is next level.

But I guess it doesn't hurt to look into it and take classes right? (It might physically hurt) What do I got to lose? (probably a finger).

I recommend doing both, reason I say get into a rescue first, then work you way up to a trainer and work at a zoo and ETC. You gain way more experience before you become a veterinarian and become a way better veterinarian that way as you will understand the behavior aspect and catch on to certain issues others may overlook. Yes a Avian veterinarians does go to school for various species, but not enough experience in my opinion as seen a lot scared of larger parrots all the time, like Macaws. The best veterinarians are the one that were ex trainers, or worked at various rescues, or zoos and have experience, like the older veterinarian I take my birds to. She is pretty much know just by looking at the bird and signs before getting into testing.

Most regular vets that claim to be Avian vets graduate with a Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM) degree and took the Veterinary Licensing Exam (NAVLE) are not real Avian veterinarian. You have to go to addition schooling and be registered with Association of Avian Veterinarians (AAV)

Last edited:

SomePeopleHaveBirds

Jan 30, 2019
Parrots
Oh, they have college courses? Ok, what college would you recommend? Do they have an online site?
What subject is this? So I know what to major in.
First start volunteering at a one or more rescues, then take college classes on both. Ok got it. I should definitely write this down for the careers I want to have.
Yes I was thinking about both, I would like to be a trainer and a vet, what a duo that would be!
I would like more than one job/career but I don't want to put too many irons in the fire, but the vet and trainer should be my main two

Last edited:

ParrotGenie

Jan 10, 2019
Indiana
Parrots
Oh, they have college courses? Ok, what college would you recommend? Do they have an online site?
What subject is this? So I know what to major in.
First start volunteering at a one or more rescues, then take college classes on both. Ok got it. I should definitely write this down for the careers I want to have.
Yes I was thinking about both, I would like to be a trainer and a vet, what a duo that would be!
It going to be 10 plus of schooling and plus as you need first 4 years of general collage pretty much. Here the basic breakdown, so you have a idea of what you are facing. You will be paying around 50k to 60k, or more a year for schooling thankfully had I had grants and scholarships, but I specialize in other field not a vet. I became a engineer first. So yes you can have a Bachelor's Degree in one area and earn a earn a doctorate degree Ph.D., or M.D. in other field. But are strict requirements as course completed and university they will accept credits from GPA and down to references. A lot more required

For veterinary medicine

Step 1: You must complete a Bachelor's Degree Program. Most schools of veterinary medicine require applicants to have a bachelor's degree.
Step 2: Earn a Doctor of Veterinary Medicine D.V.M. (Doctor of Veterinary Medicine. There are many colleges of veterinary medicine in the United States that offer a DVM degree. Depends on area
Step 3: Become Licensed and pass exam. Veterinary Licensing Exam (NAVLE) to be eligible to practice medicine in the United States.
Step 4: Gain more Experience.
Step 5: Become Certified in a Specialty. ...
Step 6: Join a Professional Association. Most avian veterinarians focus on either companion bird practice (i.e., parrots and songbirds) or poultry production practice (i.e., chickens, turkeys). It is also possible to focus on the care and treatment of birds of prey or other native species as an avian wildlife veterinarian. Other vets operate a mixed practice that offers services for pet birds while also offering care for small or exotic animals.

Yes you will be doing a lot of volunteer work as well

Last edited:

SomePeopleHaveBirds

Jan 30, 2019
Parrots
Thank you very much. I think I'll try to go as far to get a doctrine. What are the steps for being a trainer or is that both combined?
Is study dot com a good site to look at for this?
I think I might do companion bird practice. Is it possible to do both?

Last edited:

ParrotGenie

Jan 10, 2019
Indiana
Parrots
Thank you very much. I think I'll try to go as far to get a doctrine. What are the steps for being a trainer or is that both combined?
Is study dot com a good site to look at for this?
Go to a rescue and volunteer first is the first step. Get to know the work involve and animals.

I don't want to hijack this thread, so you can start another new thread.

Last edited:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Adding some expectations with parrots
I post such pretty birdie pictures, so I would like to add a warning.

Quakers are prone to feather plucking and Quaker mutilation syndrome, and screaming lots and lots of screaming. If you can not provide hours like at least five ( in my opinion) of out of cage hanging out interaction time, socializing , play and forage time, daily this species isn't for you, they will selfdestruct. They are an intelligent and social bird. There are literally hundreds being re-homed in my area every few months for the above reasons.

But I don't want people looking at pretty pictures and not thinking of the reality of parrot ownership. They are messy and loud and require hours of attention everyday for the next 20 years, not until the newness wears off, and this is true for all species of parrots. Sleeping in? Doesn't happen for most of us, the sun comes up and so does the birdie babble.

There is often contention with significant others as well, either as jealousy from the parrot , or lack of accomodations and understanding from the non parrot person.

Also they tear stuff up, my TV remote missing buttons, my phone got pierced by a beak and now I have no sound, my blinds are chewed up, valuables, sentimental iteams destroyed. My Kindle cracked when a parrot knocked it off.

Parrot sitters , hard to come by. Specialized avain vet bills, expensive, 2-3 times higher than dogs or cats.

Ok done with public service announcement on behalf of parrots. If you love em you make it work, but you will make sacrifices

Nov 1, 2019
Oregon
Parrots
Gracie, our Blue Fronted Amazon.
We jumped right in with a rescue Blue Fronted Amazon- no prior experience, no bird knowledge, no financial preperation, and got her within a few days of running across the post that had some how snuck by for 7 months on a selling site that didnt allow animal sales. Within days, we are walking encyclopedias of bird knowledge, but have to work on all financial aspects of owning this girl to readjust everything that her previous owners failed her on. These creatures take a lot of time, money, effort, and love. We just got her and she needs a vet visit right away.
Do not get a bird and think you wont be making sacrifices for it. You will make about as much room in your life for your bird as you do your own children.

Most Reactions