Philadelphia
Parrots
Sydney - Blue Front Amazon
Gonzo - Congo African Grey
Willow - Cockatiel
RIP:
Snowy, Ivy, Kiwi, Ghost - Parakeets
Berry - Cinnamon GCC
Must be because you're local to the breeder, they're $600 here.

OP
CharlieSheen

CharlieSheen

Dec 8, 2012
South Florida
Parrots
Kiwi the Peach-Faced Lovebird
Woah. And I think it's because he wants to find the bird a good home, not make a huge profit. I'm sure the cage is more than 60$, and the Conure itself must be at least 100$. Plus the food an equipment... I'm sure he isn't doing this for the profit. But he may be doing this because he's sick. Are there any telltale signs? I've read crusty vents but I have no clue what the vents are.

OP
CharlieSheen

CharlieSheen

Dec 8, 2012
South Florida
Parrots
Also, sorry for a double-post, but would any of the birds I mentioned attack my Betta's bowl? It's a 1 gallon, about 8 inches in diameter. I'm not too worried but it's just a precaution.:eek:

Aquila

Nov 19, 2012
Philadelphia
Parrots
Willow - Cockatiel
RIP:
Berry - Cinnamon GCC
The vent is his behind. :) If you looked underneath him, you'd see a patch of thinner feathers, close to his tail. As long as he's active, alert, clear eyes and nose. He should be clean, feathers neat, though he might look a little rough because he's young. His overall attitude should be good, alert.

As for your betta's bowl? Probably not attack, just try to bathe in it!

OP
CharlieSheen

CharlieSheen

Dec 8, 2012
South Florida
Parrots
The Lid is covered, it's hard to take off. So are there any other ways to tell if it's alright just by looking? I have the pictures of each if you want to see them :D

Aquila

Nov 19, 2012
Philadelphia
Parrots
Willow - Cockatiel
RIP:
Berry - Cinnamon GCC
Sure, I'd love to see! :)

Tswift

Feb 3, 2011
Parrots
2 Caique Sisters- Ava and Sheik
Two red flags are going off for me right now. I hate to be that person, but please- hear me out. I am a fellow math-loving computer science major in college right now and I had to make a decision similar to yours.

First of all, you said somewhere in your first post about looking for a good "deal". If money is an issue, you shouldn't be considering a pet. Parrots should be chosen based on research and bonding with you, not a price tag. Also, if money is an issue for you, you need to reconsider owning a parrot. They aren't the most expensive of pets, but their food and toys aren't cheap. These parrots don't seem to be from a reputable rescue or breeder if they are so cheap. What if they are sick and need to be given attention at the vet? Are you ready for that kind of vet bill? Sure, they are cheap to buy, but that might be an indicator of how sick they are.

Secondly, if you are planning to go to college, please don't buy a parrot unless you are 100% sure you are ready to give it up when you go to college, which would be avoidable stress to you and the bird. You never know what the future holds.

You mentioned MIT, which only allows cats on a case-by-case basis and this is extremely rare. I'm alarmed you haven't researched this yet. Most 4 year colleges, including mine, require you to stay on campus the first year, and 90% of college dorms don't allow any type of pets except fish. Please, please do not chose your college based on the pet policy, though. Education comes first.

If you are still insisting on getting a parrot, do not go with a sun conure. Where ever you go for college, a sun conure's screams will be deafening and your roommates in your dorm, building, apartment, house, will not allow it.

When I was 14, I fell in love with caiques, but I anxiously waited until I owned my own large apartment in my second year of college to buy mine (20 yrs old). I put the deposit of $900 each when they were hatched and I had the cage and everything before they came home. Money was not an issue like it was when I was younger. I researched all those years to make sure I will provide the best care and environment for them and to make sure they were a species that is best for me. I also made sure it was okay with my boyfriend- which is also another factor. It was tough to wait, but it was well worth it.

OP
CharlieSheen

CharlieSheen

Dec 8, 2012
South Florida
Parrots
What I meant by good deals is, I decided all my favorite parrots. Then I searched across the county to find Parrots in good health that I could afford. Toys and visits to the vet included.
And before I go to MIT, or another college, I'm going to FAU, which allows students to live outside of dorms. The "stay-on-campus" part I understand and my friend said he'd be able to take care of it for a year or two, and in the very unlikely case that he dies, I have my sister and parents as a last resort.

I will get the bird's pictures soon.

Last edited:

Dharmawaits

Oct 6, 2012
Parrots
The great Peapod a Parrotlet
What does everyone have against parrotlets?! Anyway, parrotlets are relatively quiet. The boys talk just as well as the Conures. And they are incredible little parrots. With that said, don't buy a pair unless your prepared to not interact with them much. And if the male is bonded to the female it could potentially be heart breaking for them to be separated. Parrotlets can be high maintenance more so than people realize. They can be be either very shy or willful You need to have a good idea on how to interact with parrots or you'll have a issue on your hands. With constant stimulation and plenty of interaction they are incredibly smart, fun and ITS a true joy to be part of their chosen flock. TDLR parrotlets are like all parrots a handful!

OP
CharlieSheen

CharlieSheen

Dec 8, 2012
South Florida
Parrots
Turns out the Sun Conure was bought :smile040:
I'll look for another bird in my area, hopefully I can find one on craigslist, a forum, or local breeder. Really hoped to buy the Conure.

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
Sun Conure's are beautiful Birds, but, Yikes are they loud :11:

Also, welcome to the forum and good luck in your search:)

Sc0tt

Nov 18, 2012
Indiana
Parrots
Red Throated Conure - Casper | American Budgie - Zeus (R.I.P)
I don't believe that the sun conure was 100$ at petsmart? That is insane, they're like 600$ at my petsmart and even GCC's run around 450$ whenever I see them in there...

It sounds like you might not be thinking this whole decision through, honestly. I don't want to sound negative but they are a HUGE responsibility.

Maybe consider a parakeet which comes with less of a responsibility (not that you should spend any less time with it or care any less for it) but does not require everything a larger parrot does. They are relatively cheap and easier to manage.

Last edited:
OP
CharlieSheen

CharlieSheen

Dec 8, 2012
South Florida
Parrots
It was. Or at least somebody told me so. Cheapest I could find, apart for there, was 150$, so I'll raise the money for the cage. I think I'm going to go with the Sun Conure though, how much would the cage/toys cost? I had it planned first but the whole kit is gone.

Then again, we do have some mesh. Could we make a cage out of 1 cm square grid-mesh? My Dad's good at making cages :D

Last edited:
OP
CharlieSheen

CharlieSheen

Dec 8, 2012
South Florida
Parrots
Also, I forgot to add this but does it matter if the sides of the cage has bamboo or wood as it's border?

Aquila

Nov 19, 2012
Philadelphia
Parrots
Willow - Cockatiel
RIP:
Berry - Cinnamon GCC
It'll get chewed for sure.

Sc0tt

Nov 18, 2012
Indiana
Parrots
Red Throated Conure - Casper | American Budgie - Zeus (R.I.P)
Prepare to pay 150-300$ on a cage (wrought iron bars, at least 3/4 inch apart, 1/2 would be good) no dyes or paints that are toxic, and I would avoid building your own if you're not 100% sure the materials are safe.

Prepare to pay 300-500$ for a breeder bred Sun.

Be ready to invest another 100-~~~$ for Food, toys, treats and everything else that you will need to give him a comfortable place to live.

Also, be prepared for the NOISE that sun conure's are notorious for making. They're scream is LOUD and continuous, especially if there is something bothering them.

I hope you take all of this into consideration before making your choice.

Dharmawaits

Oct 6, 2012
Parrots
You can't use wood to build a cage and there's a good chance a parrot would chew through the mesh too. Not to mention the mesh needs to be powder coated or stainless steel.

OP
CharlieSheen

CharlieSheen

Dec 8, 2012
South Florida
Parrots
Alright, so here's my plan so far:
2 Foot cubic in volume at least (Dimmensions have yet to be chosen)
3/4 Inch Mesh for the walls
Iron or Stainless Steel edges.
And for the bottom of the cage, I'm thinking of putting a 1 cm square mesh so that the poop and seeds fall through but not the bird.
Is this alright?

I realize that now this isn't so much about which bird is best, as I'm either going with a Sun Conure, GreenCheek, or Cockatiel, but it's still Q/A, so is it alright to keep on posting here?

Dharmawaits

Oct 6, 2012
Parrots
The mesh needs to be stainless steel and sturdy enough they can't chew through. It's not easy building a bird cage!

OP
CharlieSheen

CharlieSheen

Dec 8, 2012
South Florida
Parrots
Oh? Why not iron or brushed steel? And it's alright, my dad loved doing this for my bearded dragon, it'll be a nice bonding experience and project for both of us to work on. A nice plus for the bird too :D

And the rest is fine, I presume?

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts