Why the lips?

Zora

Dec 2, 2012
Indiana
Parrots
3 Eclectus parrots
I have a male eclectus baby who is just a year old. He is SO energetic. he flies everywhere, and loves to talk. I'm not use to this since I have two other eclectus parrots (both male and female) who barely talk at all and are laid back. Now my baby one will not be quiet, and he's starting to sound more like an amazon! He always climbs near me though, and is obsessed with picking at my lips. I always wonder why, so can anyone answer that for me? He doesn't bite them, just nibbles at them. He'll stretch as far as he can to get to them. is it possible that he thinks I'm going to feed him or anything like that?

kc_y0

Nov 17, 2011
Media
Sydney
Parrots
Eclectus Female - Audrey.
Art - Budgie.
Astro - Budgie.
Mini - Budgie, RIP gorgeous girl.
My bird does that too . I think its just a form of preening, and taking off the skin that they don't think should be there :)

OP
Z

Zora

Dec 2, 2012
Indiana
Parrots
3 Eclectus parrots
Oh okay makes sense. I hide my lips and he'll bite until he sees them again! he's a little devil haha. :) The weird thing is is that my two other eclectus don't do it.

kc_y0

Nov 17, 2011
Media
Sydney
Parrots
Eclectus Female - Audrey.
Art - Budgie.
Astro - Budgie.
Mini - Budgie, RIP gorgeous girl.
Are you more bonded to the male that picks your lips? I think preening is a sign of being bonded to you, maybe he is more bonded then the other two :) Just my guess though haha.

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
Birds are very clever... They see what goes between your lips, and probably hope for a morsel...

Most Reactions